"________ Nation"

I HATE this saying! Husker Nation, Red Sox nation. Whatever. Saying sucks. wish it was never a part of the Husker lexicon. Yuck. Makes me feel dirty. Like I'm a fan of some sort of bandwagon team.

Husker lexicon?

I hate that word lexicon <_<

Reminds me of a Notre Dame fan from Lexington.

I HATE this saying! Husker Nation, Red Sox nation. Whatever. Saying sucks. wish it was never a part of the Husker lexicon. Yuck. Makes me feel dirty. Like I'm a fan of some sort of bandwagon team.

I hate it, too... I hated it even more when they ruined the tunnel walk with the "Husker nation report in" crap and then went through all of our stupid little towns. I really hate thinking that Pud started it as a marketing campaign. The latter point is sufficient for me to find it unbearable to hear and, yeah, as you say, it's been appropriated from other teams (I think I heard that it began with the Raiders-- all I know is that it isn't from NE, so we should let it go-- it's almost like teams that recycle other teams' fight songs).

What I hate is everyone finding somethig wrong with anything and thinking it makes us "just like everyone else". Newsflash. We are like everyone else. Just because someone tries or does something new, popular, trendy, or whatever doesn't make us bandwagon fans. It's breaking up the monotony...oh....sorry....I mean tradition.

Actually, I like the term "Hukser Nation". With the exception of Notre Dame, it seems that Nebraska is the one team in the country that has, truly, coast-to-coast fans and appeal. Anywhere you go in the U.S., you find a Husker fan. Try that with almost any other team - won't happen.

If anything, we should embrace the term as we actaully represent it.

Actually, I like the term "Hukser Nation". With the exception of Notre Dame, it seems that Nebraska is the one team in the country that has, truly, coast-to-coast fans and appeal. Anywhere you go in the U.S., you find a Husker fan. Try that with almost any other team - won't happen.

If anything, we should embrace the term as we actaully represent it.

agree.

what a tard

Your warning level has been increased for the personal attack against another member in violation of the Board rules. A second offense will result in a temporary ban. A third offense will result in a permanent ban.

The poster merely expressed his opinion of a term - there was absolutely no reason to make it personal.

It's my understanding that the whole "_______ Nation" was started by a St. Louis Cardinals radio broadcaster. Back in the 1920's till late 1950's, the Cards were the westernmost team in the US, and thus had fans and radio affiliates throughout the midwest, Rockies and left coast. Some guy called it "The Redbird Nation". Kind of lost its meaning after the Brooklyn Dodgers left for L.A.