NU doesn't want a black head coach

Pull from another board. This guy is an freakin idiot <_<<_<

Scott Voorhees

KFAB (1110 AM) morning talk show host Scott Voorhees baited listeners Tuesday with a topic that generated plenty of phone calls: There is talk that Nebraska football fans do not want Turner Gill to be the next head football coach because he is black.

"If you think I'm bringing this up just to get phone calls, you're wrong. You're absolutely wrong," Voorhees said.

KFAB's "Husker Insider" Sean Callahan of HuskersIllustrated.com, disagreed with Voorhees, discounting a former player's assessment to Voorhees that Husker fans don't appreciate blacks unless they are playing for the team. Once their eligibility is used up, the former player told Voorhees, fans could care less about Husker players who are black.

Callahan also said there was good reason that Gill was passed over for the interim head coaching job when former Husker Coach Frank Solich was fired in 2003. Omaha World-Herald columnist Tom Shatel pointed out in his column in Tuesday's editions that Gill held a higher position — assistant head coach - than Bo Pelini, who was named interim head coach for one game.

"A lot of people don't know this, but Jim Rose filled me in that Pelini had it written into his contract that he would become interim coach if the head coach was fired," Callahan said.

You know, its sad to say but there may be something to this...my dad was the first one who brought it up several weeks ago and hes been a Husker fan for a VERY long time. I don't think its as big a deal for the population in the bigger cities, I think its the small town Nebraskansfrom what he said. I just want the best coach, he could be white, black, green, or purple for all I care.

Scott

:bonez

FWIW I work in a town of 900 people and these people are passionate about football and could care less the color of the skin of the coach so long as he does a good job. Not trying to like shoot your ideas down but saying i know in my case it is not the truth in south central NE

Out of curiosity, what other Nebraska towns other than Omaha and Lincoln have a black community. I'm not taking about just a couple of families.

I live in Western Nebraska. While we don't have many black families here, we do have several Mexican families. In a town West of me with a population under 2000 people, the most celebrated holiday is Cinco de Mayo. Just because we're from Western Nebraska doesn't mean we're racist. Lexington, Nebraska has the white population as being the minority. There's several races represented within the state. IMO, the race card is played entirely way too much.

I guess in some ways, I'm a racist.

I caught myself telling my Wife I once dated a Black Girl..If I was completely non-racist, I probably wouldn't feel compelled to identify Sara as being black.

I was asked a few months ago by my Mother-in-Law's Boyfriend where "The Brothers and Sisters" live out here while we were driving around and I was trying to convince him to retire out here.

I didn't know what to say..I guess there's just not enough out here to have their own neighborhood?

We had black neighbors across the street and a bi-racial couple next door to us, but they moved away...I just said, "I dunno".

Will we ever be colorblind?

No, we will never be colorblind, but we don't need to be. A Black Guy is a Black Guy just like a White Guy is a White Guy, and will never be anything else. What we need to remember is that we ARE different in some ways (like an Iowegan is different from a Nebraskan), but those differences are what makes us strong, not what separates us.

The strength of America is our diversity. We have many unique points of view. That's good if we value those differences, and those differences ARE valuable, believe me.

What will tear us apart is an "Us vs. Them" mentality. It's not Us & Them, it's WE. WE are Americans, whether our skin glows in the dark or blends nicely.

Don't try to be colorblind. Just judge a man on who he is and what he does, not what he looks like.

As long as peoples skin colors are different, there will be a distinction. The question is whether or not that distinction makes you think less of one race than the other.

I see a black person, I notice they're black. But that's it. It's like.. I see someone that has brown hair, or red, or whatever.. I notice it but that's it. That's not racism.

No, we will never be colorblind, but we don't need to be. A Black Guy is a Black Guy just like a White Guy is a White Guy, and will never be anything else. What we need to remember is that we ARE different in some ways (like an Iowegan is different from a Nebraskan), but those differences are what makes us strong, not what separates us.

The strength of America is our diversity. We have many unique points of view. That's good if we value those differences, and those differences ARE valuable, believe me.

What will tear us apart is an "Us vs. Them" mentality. It's not Us & Them, it's WE. WE are Americans, whether our skin glows in the dark or blends nicely.

Don't try to be colorblind. Just judge a man on who he is and what he does, not what he looks like.

Good post, but I still think that we should hump each other until we are all the same color.

BTW.... an Iowegan is not only different from a Nebraskan. They are different from a human being period.

I agree with both your points..(Posts 40,41 And we needs ta hump more #42...Just Never known many Iowegians other than a loud girl with thick ankles I used to work with, or Jamie Williams).

What I find subtly racist in my own behavior is the desire to tell my wife that one of my old girlfriends was black..Or trying to find a way to correctly let someone know that I have Black friends without it sounding like I care there's a difference...And now..that it sounds like I actually care about being "politically correct".