NU doesn't want a black head coach

Pull from another board. This guy is an freakin idiot <_<<_<

Scott Voorhees

KFAB (1110 AM) morning talk show host Scott Voorhees baited listeners Tuesday with a topic that generated plenty of phone calls: There is talk that Nebraska football fans do not want Turner Gill to be the next head football coach because he is black.

"If you think I'm bringing this up just to get phone calls, you're wrong. You're absolutely wrong," Voorhees said.

KFAB's "Husker Insider" Sean Callahan of HuskersIllustrated.com, disagreed with Voorhees, discounting a former player's assessment to Voorhees that Husker fans don't appreciate blacks unless they are playing for the team. Once their eligibility is used up, the former player told Voorhees, fans could care less about Husker players who are black.

Callahan also said there was good reason that Gill was passed over for the interim head coaching job when former Husker Coach Frank Solich was fired in 2003. Omaha World-Herald columnist Tom Shatel pointed out in his column in Tuesday's editions that Gill held a higher position — assistant head coach - than Bo Pelini, who was named interim head coach for one game.

"A lot of people don't know this, but Jim Rose filled me in that Pelini had it written into his contract that he would become interim coach if the head coach was fired," Callahan said.

Oh! Is Turner black? I hadn't noticed. I'm sure there are others like me who see in Turner a champion football player and coach both off the field and on. A man of dignity, honor and integrity. The kind of man that ANY school would be proud to have as their head coach. Leave it to one or two people to bring up the 'race card'. It's so absurd!! (By the way...I heard on 1620 The Zone this afternoon that Turner's name came up as a possible candidate for the Washington State job. Interesting.)

Pull from another board. This guy is an freakin idiot <_<<_<

Scott Voorhees

KFAB (1110 AM) morning talk show host Scott Voorhees baited listeners Tuesday with a topic that generated plenty of phone calls: There is talk that Nebraska football fans do not want Turner Gill to be the next head football coach because he is black.

"If you think I'm bringing this up just to get phone calls, you're wrong. You're absolutely wrong," Voorhees said.

:blink: That's lame.

Out of curiosity, what other Nebraska towns other than Omaha and Lincoln have a black community. I'm not taking about just a couple of families.

Blacks make up only about 5% of the Nebraska population. The largest concentrations live in Omaha and Lincoln. Lincoln has only about 7,000 Blacks total.

Math not your best subject?

It's dumb to bring up something like this without proof. Osborne and Solich are both honorable men who would hire those who would best fit the system -- never about the color of their skin. I'm sure there have been cases of racism elsewhere, but there is no reason to believe it is happening here at the current time.

Who is this Scott Vorhees. Does he have sh#t for brains. Is he related to Jason?

If he was related to Jason, he would be pissed only with a NU coach who had got it on in tents.

It's dumb to bring up something like this without proof. Osborne and Solich are both honorable men who would hire those who would best fit the system -- never about the color of their skin. I'm sure there have been cases of racism elsewhere, but there is no reason to believe it is happening here at the current time.

Who is this Scott Vorhees. Does he have sh#t for brains. Is he related to Jason?

If he was related to Jason, he would be pissed only with a NU coach who had got it on in tents.

... and with that, the thread's derailment was complete..!

Scott V is a TALK SHOW HOST.

His ONLY job is to get people tuned in to his show. (i.e. - to get attention) His show on KFAB is called "The Pack of Lies Show" and he's constantly pulling someone's chain for a reaction. I'll bet someone on this board will check him out just because of this post. So he did his job.

There's a huge difference between entertainment & actual news.

By the way - there ARE some Nebraskans who would feel that way because Turner's black. Know what? It doesn't matter what those B-A-C-F's think. The only opinions that matter for the HC position are TO & HP.

Out of curiosity, what other Nebraska towns other than Omaha and Lincoln have a black community. I'm not taking about just a couple of families.

Blacks make up only about 5% of the Nebraska population. The largest concentrations live in Omaha and Lincoln. Lincoln has only about 7,000 Blacks total.

Math not your best subject?

As a matter of fact it isn't, but that has nothing to do with these numbers which I pulled from the 2000 Census.

Why do you ask?

There were comments like this on the LSU board. I guess I'd expect that from them since they don't know Turner Gill. But in state, I can't believe it.

To us Nebraskans, Turner Gill is family. As far as I'm concerned we are all Nebraska football family, no race involved.

I don't understand why some people focus on that, it is racisim.

I love Turner and hope he comes here in some capacity. And if he doesn't , I wish him the very best!

There were comments like this on the LSU board. I guess I'd expect that from them since they don't know Turner Gill. But in state, I can't believe it.

To us Nebraskans, Turner Gill is family. As far as I'm concerned we are all Nebraska football family, no race involved.

I don't understand why some people focus on that, it is racisim.

I love Turner and hope he comes here in some capacity. And if he doesn't , I wish him the very best!

I don't understand it either. It's almost frustrating that anyone would say such things about our state. Turner Gill is like family, and anyone who would deny him a job opportunity he probably deserves based upon something so trivial is a grade-A idiot.

X