NEhuskers311........you bring up very valid concerns..... I think many people are kind of questioning the number of people "back" in the system..... Your questions are good ones, and I am only giving my opinion on the "answers"....

1st: Ron Brown was here well before 01, and knows how to be part of a NC staff and prepare....they need

"experience" and maturity...and father figure around.

2nd: Cotton was a very good OL coach....he is an in your face, smash-mouth guy....coaches hard....

Dr. Rob Zatachza (sp. big time).....gave him ringing endorsements on tv the other night...said

we needed to get back to the "pancake" style and Barney is it.

3rd: Sanders.....completely turned around the DB.....helped NU become on the top take-away team in the

nation.... He is definately a 'players" coach..... highly sout after , once Pud cleaned house...

* Every former player that has been inteviewed lately on the radio......Ira Cooper, Barrett Ruud, DeMario Williams, Lornell McPherson, Steve Safranek, and others have said NOTHING BUT GREAT THINGS about all of these coaches.....even Trev Alberts said this may be one of the bests staffs in the nation once it is finished.. (of course, Trev may be a little biased <_< )

* remember....a lot of guys on the 2001 staff only had 1 year here and did a great job of taking a .500 team and having them go 10-3, including bowl....the didn't even have a complete year with recruiting.....they came in after Pud made Frank clean house....

I think the staff really is going to be great....they are all fairly young, energetic, in-your face, kick your a$$, or give you a hug type of coaches...... the young men at NU will be very lucky to have this staff....and, many of these guys know what it takes to coach at NU...... and the "new" guys from LSU, know how to win at a high level.......

I believe you mean 2003 not 2001. We played Miami in the national championship game after the 2001 season, and 2002 was 7-7.

Other than the date I thought HANC did a great job answering the concerns of buzzkill and the others.

I agree also. I think this staff should be one of a kind and we should dominate again.

Really?

Lets see.... Cotton -- unemployed (with respect to coaching) --- Sanders - unemployed --- Ron Brown -- unemployed. Usually making up your staff of people who are not currently employed (in the field that you are hiring within) raises some red flags. Are these people not competitive enough to find employment elsewhere? I am concerned that the staff being assembled (or , at least purported to be assembling) will be a staff that will really struggle recruiting. I am also hard-pressed to see these hires (if in fact these are the hires) being Pelini's choices --- it is more like they are Osborne's choices. If they are and Pelini accepted the job under those conditions (re: Grobe) .....

Anyway, I love the enthusiasm on the board --- but I am unconvinced that the events of the past few days are indeed good for NU football. Lets give them their shot, but really I am rather, well.... unconvinced that what we are seeing (or think we are seeing --- since these hires have not been made official) is all that good. Also, the recent recruits are well... not awe inspiring. The lack of team speed (perhaps the slowest in the conference?)is a problem and it is not seemingly being addressed.

Anyone else getting squeamish out there?

If fairness, Ron Brown could have found coaching another job, but chose to go another direction.

Understood. That may well be the case. Ron Brown is an exceptional person and is great from a character perspective. And, you may be right, he could , perhaps, have found coaching positions elsewhere --- but we really cannot say. All we can say is he has not been coaching.

Honestly, if our rivals had hired a bunch of unemployed coaches and their most recent 220 pound recruits were running in the 4.8 an 4.9 range, I think we would be sadistically grinning.

NEhuskers311........you bring up very valid concerns..... I think many people are kind of questioning the number of people "back" in the system..... Your questions are good ones, and I am only giving my opinion on the "answers"....

1st: Ron Brown was here well before 01, and knows how to be part of a NC staff and prepare....they need

2nd: Cotton was a very good OL coach....he is an in your face, smash-mouth guy....coaches hard....

Dr. Rob Zatachza (sp. big time).....gave him ringing endorsements on tv the other night...said

3rd: Sanders.....completely turned around the DB.....helped NU become on the top take-away team in the

nation.... He is definately a 'players" coach..... highly sout after , once Pud cleaned house...

* Every former player that has been inteviewed lately on the radio......Ira Cooper, Barrett Ruud, DeMario Williams, Lornell McPherson, Steve Safranek, and others have said NOTHING BUT GREAT THINGS about all of these coaches.....even Trev Alberts said this may be one of the bests staffs in the nation once it is finished.. (of course, Trev may be a little biased <_< )

* remember....a lot of guys on the 2001 staff only had 1 year here and did a great job of taking a .500 team and having them go 10-3, including bowl....the didn't even have a complete year with recruiting.....they came in after Pud made Frank clean house....

I think the staff really is going to be great....they are all fairly young, energetic, in-your face, kick your a$$, or give you a hug type of coaches...... the young men at NU will be very lucky to have this staff....and, many of these guys know what it takes to coach at NU...... and the "new" guys from LSU, know how to win at a high level.......

I believe you mean 2003 not 2001. We played Miami in the national championship game after the 2001 season, and 2002 was 7-7.

Other than the date I thought HANC did a great job answering the concerns of buzzkill and the others.

I agree also. I think this staff should be one of a kind and we should dominate again.

Really?

Lets see.... Cotton -- unemployed (with respect to coaching) --- Sanders - unemployed --- Ron Brown -- unemployed. Usually making up your staff of people who are not currently employed (in the field that you are hiring within) raises some red flags. Are these people not competitive enough to find employment elsewhere? I am concerned that the staff being assembled (or , at least purported to be assembling) will be a staff that will really struggle recruiting. I am also hard-pressed to see these hires (if in fact these are the hires) being Pelini's choices --- it is more like they are Osborne's choices. If they are and Pelini accepted the job under those conditions (re: Grobe) .....

Anyway, I love the enthusiasm on the board --- but I am unconvinced that the events of the past few days are indeed good for NU football. Lets give them their shot, but really I am rather, well.... unconvinced that what we are seeing (or think we are seeing --- since these hires have not been made official) is all that good. Also, the recent recruits are well... not awe inspiring. The lack of team speed (perhaps the slowest in the conference?)is a problem and it is not seemingly being addressed.

Marvin is not unemployed. Up through '09 he gets paid to be NC's DC. If he takes another job that ends. Hell Marvin is actually getting close to becoming a vested civil servant for that state. You saying he should give that up for any coaching job that came along? I wouldn't .

Barney is still getting paid by ISU.

How can you not support the Sanders hire? Do forget us leading the nation in take-aways? Bullocks leading the nation in picks? A top-rated pass-efficiency defense? Ricketts being a solid cb? That was Marvin working.

When Ron Brown was here he got several nice offers to coach elsewhere, including the pro's. He didn't because he had an allegiance to Nebraska and his ministry. Those were his priorities. I'd say that is commendible.

Really?

Marvin is not unemployed. Up through '09 he gets paid to be NC's DC. If he takes another job that ends. Hell Marvin is actually getting close to becoming a vested civil servant for that state. You saying he should give that up for any coaching job that came along? I wouldn't .

Barney is still getting paid by ISU.

How can you not support the Sanders hire? Do forget us leading the nation in take-aways? Bullocks leading the nation in picks? A top-rated pass-efficiency defense? Ricketts being a solid cb? That was Marvin working.

When Ron Brown was here he got several nice offers to coach elsewhere, including the pro's. He didn't because he had an allegiance to Nebraska and his ministry. Those were his priorities. I'd say that is commendible.

It is not that I am not supporting these hires (if these are the hires). If hired, I will indeed support them in every conceivable way. But, I am just a little questioning of whether this staff will be waht a hopeful top ten type program would like to have. Maybe they will be. I hope so. It just makes one question.

Really?

If fairness, Ron Brown could have found coaching another job, but chose to go another direction.

Are you trying to ram God down my throat?? :sarcasm

as a government employee I feel it is my duty to do so :o:boxosoap

In reply to robsker.......very valid concerns that I think many people have..... I personally like this staff and others have answered why Brown, Sanders, and Cotton were unemployed..$$$$$.....Sanders is the best of the group IMO.....

IN fairness, I think TO did have "suggestions" for Bo, but I really think that this is a staff that Bo wanted....It has been well documented on the radio, using direct quotes from Bo, that when these guys parted ways in 2003, Bo told Sanders that if he ever became a HC, he would be the 1st person he would call !!!! and, Bo also told Ron Brown that if he ever became HC, he really wanted Brown to be part of his staff....

So , yes, I believe TO had some influence, but Bo is getting guys he relates to very well......

In reply to robsker.......very valid concerns that I think many people have..... I personally like this staff and others have answered why Brown, Sanders, and Cotton were unemployed..$$$$$.....Sanders is the best of the group IMO.....

IN fairness, I think TO did have "suggestions" for Bo, but I really think that this is a staff that Bo wanted....It has been well documented on the radio, using direct quotes from Bo, that when these guys parted ways in 2003, Bo told Sanders that if he ever became a HC, he would be the 1st person he would call !!!! and, Bo also told Ron Brown that if he ever became HC, he really wanted Brown to be part of his staff....

So , yes, I believe TO had some influence, but Bo is getting guys he relates to very well......

Glad to hear that Hanc. That makes a difference for me. I'd hate to think that Bo is having assistants forced onto his staff that he is himself not enamored of. Lets hope this staff is up to snuff.

By my count they need two more...it's my guess that the strength coach will replace Dave Kennedy, thus leaving room for one more on the defensive side and a runningbacks coach.

:yeah

I think we can only have one more assistant...I seem to recall hearing yesterday on 1620 that we are limited to 10 coaches including the head coach.

While 10 is the total the strength coach is not counted in that tally.

Really?

I have to agree this is not terribly exciting. Living in Oklahoma, I remember when Stoops started gathering his staff. I don't remember all the names, but I remember Mike Leach coming over from Kentucky (Kentucky had the #1 rated offense the prior year), Mike Stoops & Bret Venebles(sp?) coming from KSU as co-defensive coordinators (KSU had a top 5 rated defense the previous year iirc), and Chuck Long coming in as QB coach (Chuck Long was the Heisman runner up from Iowa in '85). I looked at the staff, knowing the kind of talent that had been left at OU, and told my wife "They're gonna be good -- and fast." I don't get that same feeling at all looking at this group. I'm not saying they'll be bad, but they don't have the "wow" factor that Stoops had coming into Oklahoma. I try to keep my expectations in line with reality, thus I'm not getting really excited with this list.

Really?

I have to agree this is not terribly exciting. Living in Oklahoma, I remember when Stoops started gathering his staff. I don't remember all the names, but I remember Mike Leach coming over from Kentucky (Kentucky had the #1 rated offense the prior year), Mike Stoops & Bret Venebles(sp?) coming from KSU as co-defensive coordinators (KSU had a top 5 rated defense the previous year iirc), and Chuck Long coming in as QB coach (Chuck Long was the Heisman runner up from Iowa in '85). I looked at the staff, knowing the kind of talent that had been left at OU, and told my wife "They're gonna be good -- and fast." I don't get that same feeling at all looking at this group. I'm not saying they'll be bad, but they don't have the "wow" factor that Stoops had coming into Oklahoma. I try to keep my expectations in line with reality, thus I'm not getting really excited with this list.

I *hope* that the problem was that some of these people (like Cotton) were marketing themselves wrong. He may have been a great OL coach who moved to an OC position and then continued to look for OC positions instead of leveraging his real talents. You know, like Crouch trying to be a QB instead of taking positions that would have actually gotten him in the pros. If Crouch would have said to himself, "Eric, maybe you ought to be a slot back," and then allowed himself to be hired as such, saying that he had been "unemployed" would have been a moot.

Tulsa and robsker...... I too have some reservations, and they come from the points that you guys bring up..... I truly do like this staff. I think they have a good mix of guys who.....

1. Brown....has been part of NCs and knows what it takes to perform at that level...plus, I think Brown

will serve kind of like "TO" on the field...he will be the "calming" factor..

2. Cotton.... possible question mark, but OL in past has played well....getting back to pancakes

3. Watson/Gilmore....the 2 go hand-hand QB-WR coaches need to be on same page,and they are..

Also give guys familar faces....

4. Sanders......love him as a coach.

5. Don't know a lot about the LSU guys...

*** I do agree that maybe this staff doesn't have the "wow" factor..... I just think it is a "solid", not super-studded staff.. I do think that these guys will get the most out of the kids, and that is the most important factor.... I too would like to have a "big-time" assistant to come in, but under the circumstances, I hope this staff will get the job done... but, I will agree again with Tulsa, I don't think that we can expect a "Bob Stoops" type of turnaround......It will take a few years..

Really?

Spot on. This MAY be, ultimately, a good staff. But, on paper --- now as we look on it --- there is not a single wow candidate as coach. For that matter, the staff assembled looks rather like staffs at mid-conference programs --- not like a top 25 hopeful.

Once more, I am of this impression that NU will be, at best, mid-conference stuff for the foreseeable future. The staff assembled does not inspire one to expect much more. Where are the Venables, Longs, or Leach coaches? Coaches who have been excellent assistants at a nationally recognizable level? Only Pelini himself meets that criteria. All the others are relative unknowns at the national level. That is, what NU is assembling is a staff without a single nationally renown assistant. That does not mean that they cannot be good --- it just means that a proven staff is not in place. Nor is the HC proven. Nor is the talent level top 25 stuff. And the recent recruits....

So, yeah.... my notion of where NU is headed is somewhat bleak. I wish I could muster the enthusiasm that the members of this board have --- sort of. My fear is that the enthusiasm expressed by so many will quickly turn to real negativity when the results do not come (a sort of bipolar swing). In a sense, I'd rather have a realistic (or, at least what I think is a realistic -- and lower) expectations on this team and this staff. It strikes me that NU has far less talent than the average person on this board thinks. I also think the staff assembled, at least on paper, are also well below what people on this board, generally speaking, think. In any event, the roster at NU does not resemble a top 10 team. Nor does the staff of coaches. That said, these coaches HAVE to be better than what we had. So, improvement is inevitable. But I'm talking improvement to perhaps a ranked team in a few years. Talk of MNC's, B12 championships, and even B12 North Championships are all too much to expect anytime soon.

This is pretty much the staff of a team that went 10-3. Who knows what they would have done if they were allowed to build on that. But there is no pleasing some people.

No, it's not really. Even if true, it's not pulling the top coordinators from top teams to be in your area. If he'd have pulled Gus Mahlzan from Tulsa (OC of the #1 offense in the nation - Tulsa) Paul Rhodes (DC of the #7 defense in the nation -- Pitt -- and he's from nearby Ankeny, IA), I'd be more impressed. I didn't say I think we'll be bad, I just said that this staff is missing the "wow" factor that some other staffs have had. I think N will be back, but it will take longer that it took Stoops (NC in his second year). I think Nebraska fans, much like Oklahoma fans, want to be back and we want it now.

High expectations aren't bad unless they mask your ability to view reality.

This is pretty much the staff of a team that went 10-3. Who knows what they would have done if they were allowed to build on that. But there is no pleasing some people.

No, it's not really. Even if true, it's not pulling the top coordinators from top teams to be in your area. If he'd have pulled Gus Mahlzan from Tulsa (OC of the #1 offense in the nation - Tulsa) Paul Rhodes (DC of the #7 defense in the nation -- Pitt -- and he's from nearby Ankeny, IA), I'd be more impressed. I didn't say I think we'll be bad, I just said that this staff is missing the "wow" factor that some other staffs have had. I think N will be back, but it will take longer that it took Stoops (NC in his second year). I think Nebraska fans, much like Oklahoma fans, want to be back and we want it now.

High expectations aren't bad unless they mask you ability to view reality.

Tulsa --- I love that last line --- High expectations aren't bad unless they mask your ability to view reality. I agree. And there is often a result that comes from that --- frustration from fans and fans then turn on their players and coaches for not living up to their inflated and unrealistic expectations. Really, no one should expect NU to be a top 25 team for the foreseeable future. Hope for, maybe. Expect, no. There are people out there predicting 9 or 10 wins! Next year even!

If the Huskers are with seven solid wins and refrain from getting killed in the losses --- well that is huge progress. The players we have and the untested and unproven coaches we have can not, realistically anyway, be expected to go beyond that for next year.