Pud has the competition calling us "bush"

It was 1998.

Bill Byrne and the predecessor of present Athletic Director Maggard at Houston.

Nebraska was on a big-time roll....

Nebraska:

--1994: 13-0 National Champs

--1995: 12-0 National Champs

--1996: 11-2

--1997: 13-0 National Champs

And things were not going well in Houston....

Houston:

--1994: 1-10

--1995: 2-9

--1996: 7-5

--1997: 3-8

The contract was signed for a home-and-away series for 1998 and 1999. But it had lost its attractiveness to the Cougars.... And they cancelled it.

Nebraska was fortunate to find and schedule Cal (who had just had San Jose State renege on a contract with them).

Bill Doleman makes reference to it in his Big Red Wrap-up Show of Sept 12, 1998:

"All right, we want to take a look at the highlights of Nebraska's win over California last Saturday. The Huskers and the Golden Bears meeting up because Houston pulled out of a contract with Nebraska.

"So they had to scramble and they got a pretty good opponent to fill that date, and California will be coming to Nebraska next year."

It seems like a long time ago now...

But the point:

The University of Houston does have a little experience in these matters. With signed agreements no less!

No doubt pious Athletic Director Maggard has scolded his predecessor frequently and severely for tainting the good name of the Houston Cougars...

Reactions from around the country:

Faltering Nebraska ducks Houston game

Things have gotten so bad for the Nebraska football program that it is now afraid to play the University of Houston.

Huskers 'gutless'?

HOUSTON - How times have changed in college football. Angry Houston athletic director Dave Maggard, calling Nebraska "gutless," has accused the Cornhuskers of backing out of a verbal agreement to play next fall and scheduling Division I-AA Maine instead.

I find it interesting that Eric thinks Osborne lacks integrity for his handling of the Lawrence Phillips situation. What if integrity is living up to what you say you're going to do? For instance, if Osborne made a promise to try to do what is best for Phillips, especially in light of the fact that Phillips had no family, then that's what he did. The decision he made was the best thing for Lawrence Phillips. Certainly not for Tom, or the University. I'm sure Osborne made it clear that any further transgressions would not be tolerated, and if something else had occurred, I'm confident that Osborne would have again showed integrity and dismissed him from the team.

That's just another way to view the situation.

I find it interesting that Eric thinks Osborne lacks integrity for his handling of the Lawrence Phillips situation. What if integrity is living up to what you say you're going to do? For instance, if Osborne made a promise to try to do what is best for Phillips, especially in light of the fact that Phillips had no family, then that's what he did. The decision he made was the best thing for Lawrence Phillips. Certainly not for Tom, or the University. I'm sure Osborne made it clear that any further transgressions would not be tolerated, and if something else had occurred, I'm confident that Osborne would have again showed integrity and dismissed him from the team.

That's just another way to view the situation.

I don't think Eric was saying Tom didn't have integrity, I took it to mean it really doesn't matter who the person is, they're gonna get some bad publicity every now and then. Houston sucks, they'll never be on Nebraska's level, and we added another home game. Who cares about Houston? I sure in the hell don't. It's the cockroach capitol of the U.S., and hell, if some of you on this board went down there, you'd fit in rather nicely.

It all comes down to Stevie trying to ensure a winning record next year so this program doesn't look like the crap it's become. 5 straight home games? 7 home games? The Houston game was to be on the road and Billy knows he ain't ready for any kind of prime time.

I agree. I also agree with the poster that said it's harder and harder to believe anything pederson says. All agree with blackshirt that this crap isn't good for the program and he's ruining what nu was all about.

I agree that this sort of thing is not good for the program because of who is running it. Most AD's would not have that big of a deal with a situation like this, though our our AD is the most hated around the country. I really wish that the college would take a step back and look at little things like this because it gives a really bad name to our college when piled on top of other things that have went on over the past few years.

I don't think Eric was saying Tom didn't have integrity, I took it to mean it really doesn't matter who the person is, they're gonna get some bad publicity every now and then. Houston sucks, they'll never be on Nebraska's level, and we added another home game. Who cares about Houston? I sure in the hell don't. It's the cockroach capitol of the U.S., and hell, if some of you on this board went down there, you'd fit in rather nicely.

Yea, I am not quite sure what the big deal is about losing a game to a Conference USA team. Not only that, but a lower tier conference USA team.

The bandwagon to bang on ol' Stevie gains steam every day, warranted or not. But these are bandwagon folks, they don't have time for rational thought or trying to find out what really happened!!!! :)

I don't think Eric was saying Tom didn't have integrity, I took it to mean it really doesn't matter who the person is, they're gonna get some bad publicity every now and then.  Houston sucks, they'll never be on Nebraska's level, and we added another home game.  Who cares about Houston?  I sure in the hell don't.  It's the cockroach capitol of the U.S., and hell, if some of you on this board went down there, you'd fit in rather nicely.

Yea, I am not quite sure what the big deal is about losing a game to a Conference USA team. Not only that, but a lower tier conference USA team.

The bandwagon to bang on ol' Stevie gains steam every day, warranted or not. But these are bandwagon folks, they don't have time for rational thought or trying to find out what really happened!!!! :)

It's not about losing a game and to what team it's to. It's about how it was done. It's just like everything else he has handled. Piss poor.

How about the good things SP has done, anyone interested in talking about them? I liked the (slightly) lower ticket prices, the walk before the games is pretty awesome, the renovations are gonna be incredible, and I like the decision to replace Frank (even though it was done extremely bad). The guy may be the anti-Christ to a lot of people, but he's not 100% evil. Please elaborate on anything else SP has done 'good.'

A word from a University of Houston fan:

"I think its all a case that the Athletic director is trying to do something to get the Cougars on the map and they are using Nebraska to do it. I actually think its a poor way of doing business. With this, what other schools are going to want to try and schedule Houston if they think that they may get bad-mouthed if they don't go all the way through.

Unfortunately, the AD needs to realize that UH (not HU, damn you) is not a top school, not a BCS school, and not really that important in the college football landscape. I hate saying that, being a fan and all, but the way to get respect and to get the big schools to keep their scheduled commitments is to win ballgames and win year after year. Hell, look at Louisville and Cincy and the other schools that are headed to the big east. They won in both basketball and football and now they are moving up. Why would anyone add UH right now to a big conference? I can name at least 20-30 schools that deserve it more.

That's not saying I don't hate the AD. I think he's doing everything else right. While the football team took a step back this year, I think they have a solid foundation in place to start to improve next year and the year after. The basketball team is 6-3 (7-3 probably after tonight) and has old UT coach Tom Penders which gives them credibility. Hopefully this means sustained success.

This is the way to get respect. Complaining about Nebraska is not. "

How about the good things SP has done, anyone interested in talking about them? I liked the (slightly) lower ticket prices, the walk before the games is pretty awesome, the renovations are gonna be incredible, and I like the decision to replace Frank (even though it was done extremely bad). The guy may be the anti-Christ to a lot of people, but he's not 100% evil. Please elaborate on anything else SP has done 'good.'

I will say one thing that I like is that he doesn't spout off to the public and knows when the Athletic Department needs to speak and when it doesn't. I also like the fact that he isn't letting the fans and the public influence his plans for the athletic program. I don't like everything he has done, but he is sticking to his plan which is semi-respectable IMO. You can't let every yahoo sway you.

A word from a University of Houston fan:

"I think its all a case that the Athletic director is trying to do something to get the Cougars on the map and they are using Nebraska to do it. I actually think its a poor way of doing business. With this, what other schools are going to want to try and schedule Houston if they think that they may get bad-mouthed if they don't go all the way through.

Unfortunately, the AD needs to realize that UH (not HU, damn you) is not a top school, not a BCS school, and not really that important in the college football landscape. I hate saying that, being a fan and all, but the way to get respect and to get the big schools to keep their scheduled commitments is to win ballgames and win year after year. Hell, look at Louisville and Cincy and the other schools that are headed to the big east. They won in both basketball and football and now they are moving up. Why would anyone add UH right now to a big conference? I can name at least 20-30 schools that deserve it more.

That's not saying I don't hate the AD. I think he's doing everything else right. While the football team took a step back this year, I think they have a solid foundation in place to start to improve next year and the year after. The basketball team is 6-3 (7-3 probably after tonight) and has old UT coach Tom Penders which gives them credibility. Hopefully this means sustained success.

This is the way to get respect. Complaining about Nebraska is not. "

Well put.

Also I should clarify a point I made earlier - when I mentioned that Steve has no integrity compared to Oz & Devaney, I realize they also had their faults - however, I was more referring to the manner in which they conducted business. For example, comparing apples to apples, did either of the aforementioned other two ever squander a simple schedule change as bad as The Pud just did? Of course not. Steve is a walking PR cluster-flip, period. So when you put them side by side, all things being equal, you can easily pick out The Pud every time.

The Husker Nation pavillion is pretty cool. And the inscription on the stadium that reads "through these gates walk the greatest fans ever".. isnt that his too?