Pelini to coach in NC game

Let me just add one caveat to my last post. If Pelini were to go to the NC game, speak to the LSU team beforehand, and/or hang out on the sidelines with the team, I think that would be great.

What I would not be fine with would be him dedicating the amount of time necessary to the DC role for the game.

OK, if you were an LSU fan, how would you feel? if he was our DC and we were going to the NC game, how would you feel? try that shoe on for size.....then complain about it some more.....not me.....he has earned his chance to help his guys win it all!

Yeah, well put.

If we had a great season that put us in the National Championship due in large part to our Defense, and our DC was leaving, wouldn't we want the ENTIRE Nebraska Football squad to be apart of it. No chinks in the chain, we started this, we're finishing it.

In the end, this isn't a big deal and could possibly lead to better things for us. This is the confidence booster that Pelini needs to show that it's on. The Huskers are coming!

:w00t:w00t

:yeah

What does his new boss (TO) think about it? Because it's up to him. If TO leaves it up to Pelini, than it's Bo's choice.

I've seen in the past when a current head coach takes a new gig, an interim guy coaches the bowl game. I dont recall a HC getting hired by another school & then stay for the bowl game. It's not a slap in the face to the team he is leaving. The players and staff understand the situation.

I think it would show well if Bo says he would like to be there with the players, but he has a new job now and new responsibilites to his new team. And therefor, cannot make it.

Yeah, it'd be great if Bo did that, but I also think that Bo wants to win a National Championship since those don't come so often. I think, being a man whose won a few championsips, Osborne said that he understands if Bo feels the need to finish.

Bo couldn't help the timing of the coaching hire....

....This topic is a double-edged sword because there's so many reasons why both sides are right....so I don't know, I just know I have no problem with it.

Let me just add one caveat to my last post. If Pelini were to go to the NC game, speak to the LSU team beforehand, and/or hang out on the sidelines with the team, I think that would be great.

What I would not be fine with would be him dedicating the amount of time necessary to the DC role for the game.

OK, if you were an LSU fan, how would you feel? if he was our DC and we were going to the NC game, how would you feel? try that shoe on for size.....then complain about it some more.....not me.....he has earned his chance to help his guys win it all!

Yeah, well put.

If we had a great season that put us in the National Championship due in large part to our Defense, and our DC was leaving, wouldn't we want the ENTIRE Nebraska Football squad to be apart of it. No chinks in the chain, we started this, we're finishing it.

In the end, this isn't a big deal and could possibly lead to better things for us. This is the confidence booster that Pelini needs to show that it's on. The Huskers are coming!

:w00t:w00t

I would personally be disappointed in Bo if he DIDN'T go coach those kids in the NC game. He's been their DC for the past 3 years, and regardless of what apparently deranged LSU fans think, the D is the strength of that team.

Bo hasn't even signed a contract with NU yet... most schools don't have their new coach yet, and many of them won't for weeks. Have some perspective, guys... Bo has actually come up here to get a jump on setting up a staff and recruiting before the dead period begins on the 17th. Why shouldn't he then go do the right thing and help those young men he has taught and worked with and cared for over the past 3 seasons take the final step towards the goal they've worked so hard to achieve? This is the National Championship we're talking about. Going back for that game shows loyalty and character and heart. I don't mind seeing those things in our new HC.

If he were truly committed to NU he would stay here, at his current employer, and fulfill his contracted duties. I have to wonder about about his level of commit to the Huskers to be doing this. NU should be his prime interest and only concern but instead he is heading off to LSU for 3 weeks of which 1 week will be in prime recruiting time (Jan 2 - 9).

But this shouldn't surprise anyone. He was on the OU sidelines during the 2004 Sugar Bowl while he was still the acting head coach at NU, still under contract and still drawing a salary from us. Seems he likes to attend other people's bowl games while employed at NU rather than staying at home and taking care of what he was hired to do.

This is a very poor way to start off a relationship with the fans of your new home and demonstrates a very poor decision IMHO. Hopefully, his decisions from this point forward will be improved. But, between this and some of the extremely questionable picks he is making for his staff (5 of his assistant coaches weren't even involved in coaching this year while 2 are hold overs from this years abomination in Lincoln. Great start Bo.) I have a feeling we are in for another long 4-5 until we get to do this all over again in 2011 or 2012.

I was excited for a few hours on Sunday but after that wore off and you start looking at the reality of the situation things don't look nearly as rosy.

This could either look very good or very bad for NU. Hopefully Bo performs

well. If he wins it will give him a lot of crediblity with recruiting and the

media. But if he loses, everyone may question his hiring. I will personally

root for LSU to pwn the undeserving Buckeyes. I believe all of Nebraska

will be rooting for the Tigers as well (or at least their Defense)

Look at it this way... if Mr. Pelini is NOT able to be out recruiting or has not taken FULL HC status yet, doesn't that mean that T.O. would get to recruit? I mean, I don't think THAT's a bad thing... T.O. showing up and doing what he does best and then being able to refer to the NEW head coach he just hired. That might actually work out kinda nice in recruiting, don't ya think?

Look at it this way... if Mr. Pelini is NOT able to be out recruiting or has not taken FULL HC status yet, doesn't that mean that T.O. would get to recruit? I mean, I don't think THAT's a bad thing... T.O. showing up and doing what he does best and then being able to refer to the NEW head coach he just hired. That might actually work out kinda nice in recruiting, don't ya think?

I believe -- someone please correct me if this wrong -- that TO is allowed to keep recruiting up until the time that Bo's assistant coaching staff is completely assembled.

Wow! We have the only part-time head coaching job in all of college football.

If you actually think we are going to get wads of "free publicity" from tv showing our coach on LSU's sideline, you need to get back to your "made for tv" movie. "Gee Bo, you just won the National Championship for LSU, what are you going to do now (as everyone holds their breath to hear Bo say he's going to Disneyworld) Bo says, I'm going to Lincoln to coach the Cornhuskers." Please. Even if LSU holds OSU to -300 yards, it is going to look good for LSU. They'll be the ones standing under the falling confetti. We may be thinking, that could be us in a couple of years, because we're Nebraskacentric. The rest of the people watching won't be thinking of us at all.

How do you think it is going to look when the announcer says, "There's Bo Pelini, named the University of Nebraska's head coach over a month ago, coaching LSU's defense. I know I'd be thinking, I guess there's not much going on in Lincoln if they don't need their coach working.

Also, I'd rather Bo showed up here hungry to get back to something he just missed out on than sitting in north stadium feeling all satisfied. Call me selfish.

And as for it looking good to players that he finishes what he started, that also works in LSU's favor. Their kids see him as a finisher. Our kids will feel a little let down. Wouldn't you if you saw "your" coach with another team.