Pelini to coach in NC game

Sheesh.

I think what is amazing about this situation is that this coach, the former-DC of LSU, will be coaching in the National Championship.

I'm willing to bet, that regardless of what happens in the game, that all Nebraska fans will be proud -- when the announcers are constantly referencing Nebraska.

Just imagine what happens if Bo's defense stymies Ohio State. Not only will this be a huge boost to our (Nebraska fans) confidence...but this would be a huge boost to our recruiting and overall credibility.

I know I'm just repeating. I just do not see a problem here.

I think that, deep down, the people questioning this are either a) Turner Gill-ians or B) Afraid that LSU's defense may have a poor-showing...and thus reflect poorly upon Nebraska.

To those that favor option "b", I can say...just look at Bo Pelini's defensive statistics. The guy knows what he is doing.

Just be happy that the National Championship game will have Nebraska implications....somewhat. I, for one, will be cheering for LSU...almost as if they were Nebraska.

It doesn't surprise me that TO would give Coach Pelini his blessing to coach in the NC game. I know it's been 10 years, but I think many of us have forgotten that commitment, hard work, finishing the job, and loyalty, are traits that then Coach Osborne instilled in all of his players and assistant coaches. I would not expect anything less from someone that TO hired for the HC position. Put yourself in LSU fan's shoes. During our run from (94'-97'), if another college's AD met with Coaches Gill or Mc Bride before one of our NC games, and they accepted a job with that school, we as NU fans would be pissed to a near riot against that school. The boards would be filled with "How Dare They" topics and such. In a sense, we're dumping our problems on LSU during their run, and it's not fair for them, but that's the nature of the business of college football today. Coach Pelini could have waited till after the bowl game to take the reigns here, but he knew that he needed to get his staff in place immediately to keep the recruits that Callahan and Co. had been neglecting since the firing of Pedersen, and the rumblings of a coaching change here. Almost all but one coaching staff position has been filled as of today, the recruits are getting visited, plus one 6' 6" TE Ben Cotton who was set to commit to Louisville, decided to commit to NU after his dad Barney, received the OL Coach's job. Looks to me like the job is getting done here, so what's the problem with Coach Pelini finishing the job he started down there?

Some here are so concerned what the players here will think if he's at LSU coaching his final game there. Frankly I don't care. They are adults, and if they are so fragile that they can't handle this, then maybe they should consider a transfer. For the ones that can handle it, maybe they'll watch and learn how the game is supposed to be played. When spring practices start we are going to find out how fragile these players are when they meet the likes of Brown, Cotton, and Pelini. Take a look at all the coaching positions that are being filled. Most all of the position coaches are intensely physical coaches. We wanted smash-mouth knock-your-teeth-down-your-throat-and-send-you-crying-to-your-momma football, well we have it here with this group.

The National Championship game will be the only game on TV that night. With that being said, the network will hype this to the Nth degree to create drama, because it's all about the ratings. Maybe we will finally get some good coverage for NU for a change, instead of being ridiculed for getting rung up like a pinball machine. They will bring up the last game for Pelini at LSU probably more times that we can count that night. If the D plays well, how can that not help in future recruiting? Even though Coach Pelini wasn't my first choice for coach, but he was selected, and I'm behind him 100%. So let's not be selfish, and let Coach have his time in the spotlight. It doesn't happen to many coaches in a lifetime, except for a few of the greats. So let's support him. If you ask anyone who has coached or played in the NC game, they can't explain it, but all they want to do is get back there and play for another one. So I have a feeling Coach Bo will want to get back to the National Championship game, come hell or high water real soon.

GBR

Also, I'd rather Bo showed up here hungry to get back to something he just missed out on than sitting in north stadium feeling all satisfied. Call me selfish.

i cant help but agree, as selfish as it is. bo being a part of winning a national championship for another team after he is named head ball coach at nebraska... kinda takes away from the sense of urgency we have at nebraska.

"so bo, are you ready to win a NC for nebraska?" "i guess so"

as opposed to

"so bo, are you ready to win a NC for nebraska?" "I NEED ONE LIKE CRACK!"

I think this is a terrible idea. Why anyone wants our coach coaching another team is beyond me. He should be in Nebraska getting to know his players, getting together his game plan for our team, and taking care of Nebraska Football business. The idea that this is good PR for us is misguided. The ONLY way this even comes close to looking good is if LSU puts forth a monumental defensive effort and blows out OSU with 10 or less points. Even then I think it makes Pelini look bad in that his loyalty should be to NU not LSU. I understand going to the game and showing his support to the team and all that, but in order to coach them in the bowl game he is going to have to be there full time until the championship game. What exactly can he be doing for NU during that time? It's like letting your new girlfriend go out for one last fling with her old boyfriend to say goodbye!!!

I'm a total Pelini guy but I really dislike this.

Let me ask you guys this - come September, 2008, is anyone really going to care that Pelini coached in this game nine months previously?

It may not seem like a good idea right now, but in the grand scheme of things I think this is a relatively harmless situation.

:yeah

GBR!!!

Let him finish what he started. The recruits know who the next head coach is going to be. He has assistants who are paid to recruit also. It may be news to us, but I'm sure this came up with T.O. before he was announced as head coach. Couldn't hurt to show current players and recruits a NC ring. Think T.O. might have wore his when he was recruiting in the 90's, or maybe this month. Of course this gives us something to discuss, now that we have a new coach, and the start of the season seems like light years away.

GBR!!!

Also, I'd rather Bo showed up here hungry to get back to something he just missed out on than sitting in north stadium feeling all satisfied. Call me selfish.

i cant help but agree, as selfish as it is. bo being a part of winning a national championship for another team after he is named head ball coach at nebraska... kinda takes away from the sense of urgency we have at nebraska.

as opposed to

theres a bit of a difference between winning a NC as a defensive coordinator and winning a NC as a head coach. he WILL be hungry if not hungrier for a NC with Nebraska

as opposed to

theres a bit of a difference between winning a NC as a defensive coordinator and winning a NC as a head coach. he WILL be hungry if not hungrier for a NC with Nebraska

i agree with you texan. and after reading the last part of sarge's post about "all i wanna do is get back"... i have officially flip-flopped my stance. :)

I have no problem with it. There will be a dead period soon anyway, so he won't be recruiting. Also, every time Pelini is shown on TV it will be followed with "new Nebraska head coach". Free publicity!

I agree, I think by our new head coach, coaching in the NC it may help some of our boy's make up their minds.

And that big assed ring on his finger won't hurt any either!

Bo will be an LSU Tiger part-time for the next month.

God willing, Bo will be a Nebraska Husker for the next decade or beyond.

As weird as this situation is (and I think the oddness of it, and the surprise of it, are why so many are against it to some degree), when you think globally about Bolini’s career here at Nebraska, this is a tremendously minor thing.

And think of it this way – it’ll make a great trivia question in the next several years: “How many Div. I Head Coaches coached in the 2007 National Championship Game?” The answer will be three, so you can make some money off of your less-informed friends from Missouri and Kansas.

Here's my take. Obviously, Miles recognizes the only reason they even made the championship game was because of Pelini and his D. If he thought otherwise, he wouldn't have asked him or even allowed him to come coach the game. If Pelini gets all of his assistants in place, what other issues are there to contend with? He can't recruit or contact recruits in the dead period, so recruiting will not suffer. It gives us great exposure for recruiting having him on the sideline because every time his D does something good the media is going to tell the World that he is the Huskers HC. I think it benefits Nebraska and it benefits recruiting having him on their sideline. Also, he may never get another chance at winning a ring. It took TO over 2 decades to win one. I really don't think TO would have announced him as HC if either one of them had any idea LSU would make the title game.

Here's my take. Obviously, Miles recognizes the only reason they even made the championship game was because of Pelini and his D.

Respectfully disagree- It takes good performance on both sides of the ball and LOTS OF LUCK along the way to make it to the NC game.

Not just the D, not just the O.

Teams don't get to the MNC game every year, or even every decade, hell some teams NEVER get there.

It's a hell of an honor to participate.

Is it possible that after three years on staff, that Miles thought Pelini earned the honor of coaching the NC game?

Maybe he even left the decision to coach the NC game to BO, who in turn, needed TO's blessing?

Maybe.

But opinions vary.

GO BO!!

Let me just add one caveat to my last post. If Pelini were to go to the NC game, speak to the LSU team beforehand, and/or hang out on the sidelines with the team, I think that would be great.

What I would not be fine with would be him dedicating the amount of time necessary to the DC role for the game.

OK, if you were an LSU fan, how would you feel? if he was our DC and we were going to the NC game, how would you feel? try that shoe on for size.....then complain about it some more.....not me.....he has earned his chance to help his guys win it all!

Well, my girlfriend's an LSU grad and die hard fan along with most of her family and friends. After hearing Pelini's appointment as HC at Nebraska they were disappointed that he wouldn't be around for the NC and beyond, but they didn't think he was in any way obligated to come back for the NC game.

What really rubs me the wrong way is the hypocrisy in Bo hyping the urgency in getting his regime up and running at Nebraska over the next month during his press conference, and then taking on the obligation of DC duties at LSU for the very same time period.

Let me just add one caveat to my last post. If Pelini were to go to the NC game, speak to the LSU team beforehand, and/or hang out on the sidelines with the team, I think that would be great.

What I would not be fine with would be him dedicating the amount of time necessary to the DC role for the game.

OK, if you were an LSU fan, how would you feel? if he was our DC and we were going to the NC game, how would you feel? try that shoe on for size.....then complain about it some more.....not me.....he has earned his chance to help his guys win it all!

Well, my girlfriend's an LSU grad and die hard fan along with most of her family and friends. After hearing Pelini's appointment as HC at Nebraska they were disappointed that he wouldn't be around for the NC and beyond, but they didn't think he was in any way obligated to come back for the NC game.

What really rubs me the wrong way is the hypocrisy in Bo hyping the urgency in getting his regime up and running at Nebraska over the next month during his press conference, and then taking on the obligation of DC duties at LSU for the very same time period.

My understanding is he will be recruitting until the dead time, then go back down to LSU to help the team prep for the NC. I know that he and TO were in Omaha yesterday, visited Central, Westside and Millard North.

:box:restore:dunno