SDSU Will Play Huskers

Huskers v South Dakota

By Sports KSFY

Story Created: Dec 5, 2007 at 11:06 PM CST

Story Updated: Dec 5, 2007 at 11:07 PM CST

BROOKINGS, S.D. -- South Dakota State University has signed agreements to play at the University of Nebraska and the University of Illinois in football during the 2010 and 2011 seasons, respectively.

The game at Nebraska is scheduled for Sept. 25, 2010, in Lincoln. SDSU and Nebraska have met in football one other time, with the Cornhuskers winning 58-7 during the 1963 season.

“There’s a lot of excitement in our program and we look forward to the huge challenge of playing at Nebraska, but that’s what our program has been about throughout our move to Division I,” said SDSU head coach John Stiegelmeier.

The matchup with Rose Bowl-bound Illinois is slated to be played Sept. 10, 2011, in Champaign, and will mark the first meeting between Illinois and SDSU in football.

“When you say ‘Big Ten’ that means something and we’re excited to go play a team of that caliber,” Stiegelmeier said.

SDSU now has secured games against Big Ten and Big 12 Conference opponents from 2008-2011. The Jackrabbits are scheduled to play their first-ever Football Bowl Subdivision opponent at the Division I level in the 2008 season opener at Iowa State. The Jackrabbits also are slated to play at Minnesota on Nov. 14, 2009.

The Jackrabbits completed a 7-4 season in 2007 by winning the Great West Football Conference title — its first conference championship as a member the Division I Football Championship Subdivision and overall since 1963. SDSU, which will move to the Gateway Football Conference in 2008, has posted a winning record in each of its four seasons since moving from NCAA Division II to the FCS level.

i played at SDSU....when they were DII and this is huge for them. I see them winning against Iowa State next year and most likely beating the lonely Gophers. I must admit though, it was kind of funny to read this. I was shocked they set up a game with the Huskers. I can see the Little 11, but at least they are setting up big time games.

I bet SUPERBUNNY is stoked.

Probably... hoppin' around and what not.

:moreinteresting

I have to say you are correct about me being fired up about this. I'm not a fan of Nebraska playing FCS (1AA) schools but I have to admit it is very exciting for SDSU to have this opportunity.

It's preaching to the choir on here but for the student athletes, coaches, and fans of SDSU this is unbelievable opportunity! When we announced the move to Division one five years ago, it was a dream to play Nebraska in sports such as volleyball, wrestling, baseball, cross country, and other but never did I imagine a football game against my beloved Big Red.

My family is from Nebraska and I was born there so Big Red is in the blood. We have lived in Brookings for a long time. Our family has had season tickets in Lincoln since the '50's. Our seats are ninety rows up in the North Stadium so I am hoping I can get a closer seat when the Jacks come to town. Probably won't pick a side on that day. The way I see it, I'm a winner either way.

Sidebar, I love to see all of the Jackrabbit haters from USD come out and flame against SDSU playing UNL. Jealousy will get you nowhere. Have fun in D-1 transition hell!

Go Big Red! Go Jacks!

SUPERBUNNY

i played at SDSU....when they were DII and this is huge for them. I see them winning against Iowa State next year and most likely beating the lonely Gophers. I must admit though, it was kind of funny to read this. I was shocked they set up a game with the Huskers. I can see the Little 11, but at least they are setting up big time games.

I played under Creehan in the early 90's at USD when were you at state?

I do miss that rivalry. That was a dirty dirty game, but always fun.

I played under Creehan in the early 90's at USD when were you at state?

I do miss that rivalry. That was a dirty dirty game, but always fun.

I was there with Stig....late 90s early 00s.

I bet SUPERBUNNY is stoked.

Probably... hoppin' around and what not.

:moreinteresting

I have to say you are correct about me being fired up about this. I'm not a fan of Nebraska playing FCS (1AA) schools but I have to admit it is very exciting for SDSU to have this opportunity.

It's preaching to the choir on here but for the student athletes, coaches, and fans of SDSU this is unbelievable opportunity! When we announced the move to Division one five years ago, it was a dream to play Nebraska in sports such as volleyball, wrestling, baseball, cross country, and other but never did I imagine a football game against my beloved Big Red.

My family is from Nebraska and I was born there so Big Red is in the blood. We have lived in Brookings for a long time. Our family has had season tickets in Lincoln since the '50's. Our seats are ninety rows up in the North Stadium so I am hoping I can get a closer seat when the Jacks come to town. Probably won't pick a side on that day. The way I see it, I'm a winner either way.

Sidebar, I love to see all of the Jackrabbit haters from USD come out and flame against SDSU playing UNL. Jealousy will get you nowhere. Have fun in D-1 transition hell!

Go Big Red! Go Jacks!

SUPERBUNNY

I miss the flying rabbits and coyotes!