THE TAIL GATE NEWS

msully

It just boggles my mind that some fans will find anything negative they can grasp at to convince themselves that a coach is terrible.

Pelini is not perfect. His defenses at LSU were not perfect.

But on balance, over the last 3 years, he's consistently put together better defenses than any DC in the county, perhaps with the exception of Muschamp at Auburn.

I'll grant you, in OT against Kentucky and Arkansas, he couldn't come up with a big play or stop, and for the first half against Florida, his D looked mediocre, but when those are the only instances of less than great defense over a 12 game season, you have an outstanding coach.

post-3607-1197043003.gifYou have BO , will that help your team ? His defense was not really that good at LSU , all the teams had to do was wait out the 1st rush and then throw a pass down field 10 or 15 yards and it became a touchdown .Flordia and Kentucky showed that . Then everyone started doing it . So what is he bring to your team , hope like Nick Saban brought to the Bama fans . That was a joke , I mean a joke this year , the Bama fans were riding high after the LSU game and have just about stopped talking football now .I would like to know what you think Bo cn do for you , he will not be able to get the players like you think he can . Or at least he has not done much for LSU . Hopeyou have a great season , I will be watching yours is one of my favorite teams . I have 4 that I pull for , yours is 3rd , That is the best I can do .GEAUX TIGERS

Arkansas finished 16th in Total Offense. Kentucky finished 25th. LSU finished 21st. Your Defense however finished 3rd in Total Defense. Arkansas finished 45th and Kentucky finished 65th. If you ask me, your Offense is the reason you guys struggled. Not the defense. <_<

it dosen't work msully, you're trying to make an argument to a bunch of people who's soul source of information is "statistics on paper" before you can have an argument here you have to come down to their level where imperical knowledge is non-existent, non-understood, and irrelevant, they see our stats and think in 6 months they will be their stats...

they are incapable of comprehending "we under acheived this season" and its directly due to "bo pelini gameplan."

"we got by on outstanding talent, perhaps some of the best defensive talent ever assembled" logic dosen't work in the "husker zone"

I'm sorry I have to comment on this one again. I dont think there is a person in the world that knows a little bit about football that would not concede the Bo is at least a marginal D coach. if you guys really had "outstanding talent, perhaps some of the best defensive talent ever assembled" you wouldnt have lost twice. get over yourselves... you arent THAT good

post-3607-1197043003.gifYou have BO , will that help your team ? His defense was not really that good at LSU , all the teams had to do was wait out the 1st rush and then throw a pass down field 10 or 15 yards and it became a touchdown .Flordia and Kentucky showed that . Then everyone started doing it . So what is he bring to your team , hope like Nick Saban brought to the Bama fans . That was a joke , I mean a joke this year , the Bama fans were riding high after the LSU game and have just about stopped talking football now .I would like to know what you think Bo cn do for you , he will not be able to get the players like you think he can . Or at least he has not done much for LSU . Hopeyou have a great season , I will be watching yours is one of my favorite teams . I have 4 that I pull for , yours is 3rd , That is the best I can do .GEAUX TIGERS

Arkansas finished 16th in Total Offense. Kentucky finished 25th. LSU finished 21st. Your Defense however finished 3rd in Total Defense. Arkansas finished 45th and Kentucky finished 65th. If you ask me, your Offense is the reason you guys struggled. Not the defense. <_<

it dosen't work msully, you're trying to make an argument to a bunch of people who's soul source of information is "statistics on paper" before you can have an argument here you have to come down to their level where imperical knowledge is non-existent, non-understood, and irrelevant, they see our stats and think in 6 months they will be their stats...

they are incapable of comprehending "we under acheived this season" and its directly due to "bo pelini gameplan."

"we got by on outstanding talent, perhaps some of the best defensive talent ever assembled" logic dosen't work in the "husker zone"

I'm sorry I have to comment on this one again. I dont think there is a person in the world that knows a little bit about football that would not concede the Bo is at least a marginal D coach. if you guys really had "outstanding talent, perhaps some of the best defensive talent ever assembled" you wouldnt have lost twice. get over yourselves... you arent [/b]that good

Sure they are....they have what....3 or 4 years of dominance? I guess our 4 decades of dominance mean nothing

I'm sorry I have to comment on this one again. I dont think there is a person in the world that knows a little bit about football that would not concede the Bo is at least a marginal D coach. if you guys really had "outstanding talent, perhaps some of the best defensive talent ever assembled" you wouldnt have lost twice. get over yourselves... you arent [/b]that good

Sure they are....they have what....3 or 4 years of dominance? I guess our 4 decades of dominance mean nothing

are you dominant now? will you be dominant anytime soon? (the answer is no... to both) you're right it means nothing... because if you're not dominant today, no body gives a damn! look at alabama, are they relevant right now? no! they have a better history than you do, but noone gives a damn because right now, they're 6-5.

if you want to put yourself in perspective, think bama, then cut that in half and somewhere in the mediocrity you'll find yourse3lf.

To be fair, I don't think it matters much whether they've dominated for 3 years or 30 years, at least not to the issue at hand.

are you dominant now? will you be dominant anytime soon? (the answer is no... to both) you're right it means nothing... because if you're not dominant today, no body gives a damn! look at alabama, are they relevant right now? no! they have a better history than you do, but noone gives a damn because right now, they're 6-5.

if you want to put yourself in perspective, think bama, then cut that in half and somewhere in the mediocrity you'll find yourse3lf.

LOL you are so full of yourself. we were not that far from being a relavent team last year(we played terrible and still almost beat auburn) even with callahan. you have no clue what kind of talent this team has right now. go back and look at rivals or scout. we could be good very soon

Riddle me this, Harp.

What more did you want out of your D over this season? What would a "good" DC have gotten you? A stop in OT against Kentucky and Arkansas? Let's face it, that's your only gripe and when compared to the defensive performance over the course of the whole season, it's pretty insignificant.

And before you say two losses are significant in terms of NC contention, consider the 11 wins that your defense got for you. That D did it's job all year. Your offense was simply incapable of pulling away from teams in the 4th quarter.

Riddle me this, Harp.

What more did you want out of your D over this season? What would a "good" DC have gotten you? A stop in OT against Kentucky and Arkansas? Let's face it, that's your only gripe and when compared to the defensive performance over the course of the whole season, it's pretty insignificant.

And before you say two losses are significant in terms of NC contention, consider the 11 wins that your defense got for you. That D did it's job all year. Your offense was simply incapable of pulling away from teams in the 4th quarter.

cool, one day ill try making unfounded blanket statments based off what i'm hoping to be the reality!

because there's only 4 of those 11 wins where you can say "we would have lost had the d not done as well as it did"

vs. the 2 losses where the offense put up a combined 85 points... in other words in the 6 games we needed bo's "awesome defensive schemes" to work he was 4-2... check the margin of victory for the other games. then look at how many points the opposing teams scored in the loses where he got run over! not to mention in the 2 loses where according to you "the offense was incapable..." we already had a lead in the 4th quarter when bo's defense crapped out after the offense had already scored about as many points as you could expect out of an sec team against an sec opponent.

and next time you try to talk like a big boy, do it only when you have a clue what you're talking about.

Riddle me this, Harp.

I agree, all harp's been doing is ragging on Bo's defense when he hasn't even begun to talk about the problems on offense....

Hey harp! You had an offense too, I never saw them in the top 5 in the nation.

Defense wins championships, and whoa...look what you guys are getting ready to play in...hmmmm

Riddle me this, Harp.

I agree, all harp's been doing is ragging on Bo's defense when he hasn't even begun to talk about the problems on offense....

Defense wins championships, and whoa...look what you guys are getting ready to play in...hmmmm

right right, well give us hawaii, kansas, or mizzou or hell, even your schedule and i guarantee we'd be #1, unfortunatly we play in the sec where defense's tend to have an impact on offensive output. see: lsu 48 vt 7(who at the time wa the #1 defense in the country and is #5 right now) what, are you gonna tell me our defense scored those points? because our offense never seemed to score fewer than 21 and 28 points (the 28 was against fla (ranked #32), where the offense saved us, also in the auburn game (ranked #8) 30pts, where some offensive heroics are the only reason we don't have 4 losses) and even those were wins... dosen't seem as impotent as you'd like to think...

vs. the 2 losses where we scored 37 and 48, which is good for any conference's offense much less in the sec.

but regardless, keep reaching, can't wait to hear whats next! "it was the punters fault!"

ps. in case you were wondering, we put up 41pts on bama and 45pts on miss st, who are both tied for 28 in the nation.

Riddle me this, Harp.

right right, well give us hawaii, kansas, or mizzou or hell, even your schedule and i guarantee we'd be #1, unfortunatly we play in the sec where defense's tend to have an impact on offensive output. see: lsu 48 vt 7, what, are you gonna tell me our defense scored those points? because our offense never seemed to score fewer than 21 and 28 points (the 28 was against fla, where the offense saved us, also in the auburn game where some offensive heroics are the only reason we don't have 4 losses) and even those were wins... dosen't seem as impotent as you'd like to think...

vs. the 2 losses where we scored 37 and 48, which is good for any conference's offense much less in the sec.

but regardless, keep reaching, can't wait to hear whats next! "it was the punters fault!"

Dude, we had one of the hardest schedules in the nation this year, you wouldn't have been #1

I'd bet you all the money I have that you will not have a top 5 defense next year, it just won't happen, but yet.....still...Pelini sucks.

Riddle me this, Harp.

cool, one day ill try making unfounded blanket statments based off what i'm hoping to be the reality!

because there's only 4 of those 11 wins where you can say "we would have lost had the d not done as well as it did"

vs. the 2 losses where the offense put up a combined 85 points... in other words in the 6 games we needed bo's "awesome defensive schemes" to work he was 4-2... check the margin of victory for the other games. then look at how many points the opposing teams scored in the loses where he got run over! not to mention in the 2 loses where according to you "the offense was incapable..." we already had a lead in the 4th quarter when bo's defense crapped out after the offense had already scored about as many points as you could expect out of an sec team against an sec opponent.

and next time you try to talk like a big boy, do it only when you have a clue what you're talking about.

Harp no offense, but you have got to be the dumbest person i have ever heard try and talk football. Those two losses were 3OT games!!! That means the opposing team started at the 25 yd line, it is pretty easy to score from the 25 yd line no matter who you are. Kentucky scored 16 pts from the 25 yd line while your offense was only able to muster 10. Had your OFFENSE scored a single point or even a freaking field goal in the 4th qtr that game is over. In the Arkansas game, ARK scored 22 pts from the 25 yd line while you guys were able to put up 20. Once agian your OFFENSE only scored 7 pts in the 4th. It doesnt matter who you are, when the game goes to OT if you dont have the momentum you are probably going to lose because it is so close the the end zone. Had your OFFENSE pulled their head out and scored some points those two games would have been W's. In the SEC championship game had the defense not SCORED pts because your offense couldnt that would have been another debacle.

LSU played 7 ranked opponents and held them to an avg of 23 ppg. Ranked opponents are going to score points, thats why they are ranked. You guys also pitched two shutouts. You need to quit your complaining because you guys had a hell of a season and if your offense would have not shut it down in the 4th qtr in those two games you would be undefeated. Its not your defense that is the problem. But you will see that soon enough when Pelini is gone and your defense is no longer one of the tops in the nation.

Riddle me this, Harp.

right right, well give us hawaii, kansas, or mizzou or hell, even your schedule and i guarantee we'd be #1, unfortunatly we play in the sec where defense's tend to have an impact on offensive output. see: lsu 48 vt 7, what, are you gonna tell me our defense scored those points? because our offense never seemed to score fewer than 21 and 28 points (the 28 was against fla, where the offense saved us, also in the auburn game where some offensive heroics are the only reason we don't have 4 losses) and even those were wins... dosen't seem as impotent as you'd like to think...

Dude, we had one of the hardest schedules in the nation this year, you wouldn't have been #1

I'd bet you all the money I have that you will not have a top 5 defense next year, it just won't happen, but yet.....still...Pelini sucks.

They will drop in Defensive ranking and lose more games but they still won't admit to the fact that maybe Bo did do a little good on the defensive staff. This southern butt nuggets are too stubborn.

Riddle me this, Harp.

yea, i bet we won't too, look at our roster, look at how many day1 draft pick we have as starters and i can guarentee you we won't have a top 5 maybe a top 25.

Riddle me this, Harp.

Harp no offense, but you have got to be the dumbest person i have ever heard try and talk football. Those two losses were 3OT games!!! That means the opposing team started at the 25 yd line, it is pretty easy to score from the 25 yd line no matter who you are. Kentucky scored 16 pts from the 25 yd line while your offense was only able to muster 10. Had your OFFENSE scored a single point or even a freaking field goal in the 4th qtr that game is over. In the Arkansas game, ARK scored 22 pts from the 25 yd line while you guys were able to put up 20. Once agian your OFFENSE only scored 7 pts in the 4th. It doesnt matter who you are, when the game goes to OT if you dont have the momentum you are probably going to lose because it is so close the the end zone. Had your OFFENSE pulled their head out and scored some points those two games would have been W's. In the SEC championship game had the defense not SCORED pts because your offense couldnt that would have been another debacle.

LSU played 7 ranked opponents and held them to an avg of 23 ppg. Ranked opponents are going to score points, thats why they are ranked. You guys also pitched two shutouts. You need to quit your complaining because you guys had a hell of a season and if your offense would have not shut it down in the 4th qtr in those two games you would be undefeated. Its not your defense that is the problem. But you will see that soon enough when Pelini is gone and your defense is no longer one of the tops in the nation.

yep! your right! 3ot games that would have been won in the 4th quarter if bo hadn't laid down and played prevent. games where we were up by as much as 20 points! and the lead was blown prior to overtime, but after the 3rd quarter.

and as for the offense... it was the 3rd ot! in both of them... no offense on earth will score points indefinitly. we scored 2 consecutive times in both games against top 40 defenses!... so did the other team... but bo crapped out first, its not playstation football dipsh*t, its called reality!