Dave Kennedy is out

Dave Kennedy, who has served as the head strength coach at Nebraska since 2004, has resigned the position.

The 47-year-old Kennedy came back to Nebraska after being the head strength coach at Pittsburgh (2002-03) and Ohio State (1989-2001).

Kennedy is a UNL grad, getting a bachelors degree in strength coaching in 1985. He grew up in Omaha.

On another note, apparently former Husker standout Trev Alberts is not coming back to the university. There was some speculation about him returning in some capacity, but Alberts told the Journal Star on Monday that he is not.

http://www.journalstar.com/blog/huskers.php

http://www.journalstar.com/articles/2007/1...7d307741441.txt

Nebraska needs to hire another coach — a strength coach this time.

Dave Kennedy, who took over as head strength coach of Nebraska in 2004, resigned over the weekend.

The departure of Kennedy comes less than two months after Steve Pederson was fired as athletic director, and just two weeks after Bill Callahan was fired as football coach.

The Husker football program went 27-22 in Kennedy’s time as head strength coach.

Mostly free from criticism during his first three seasons, Kennedy took some heat from fans this past fall when the defensive line was pushed around on a weekly basis. Nebraska finished ranked 116th out of 119 teams in rushing defense.

The 47-year-old Kennedy graduated from Nebraska in 1985 and assisted in NU’s strength department under Boyd Epley from 1982-88.

He moved on to become the head strength coach at Ohio State (1989-2001) and Pittsburgh (2002-03), impressing the likes of Callahan and Pederson along the way.

While he was the head coach of the Oakland Raiders, Callahan tried to hire Kennedy.

He failed in that attempt, but got his man in 2004 when Kennedy followed Steve Pederson from Pittsburgh to Nebraska.

It seemed a natural fit for Kennedy, an Omaha native who got his start in the Husker program.

Still, the move perhaps came as some surprise since Nebraska was coming off a 10-3 season with Bryan Bailey in charge of the strength program.

Callahan offered Bailey a job as an assistant to Kennedy.

Bailey, part of the NU program since 1986, soon left to work in the USC strength department in 2005.

“I made a change, and with all due respect to Bryan Bailey, I made that change for the betterment of our team,” Callahan said in 2004. “I wanted to retain Coach Bailey because he does have expertise and value here. He’s very well-respected by our team and players, and I wanted him to be a part of this program.”

Upon his arrival, Kennedy said the new No. 1 word in football players’ vocabulary would be “burst.”

“That’s what we’re going to try to develop. The players will be hearing that, hearing that and hearing that,” Kennedy said.

Kennedy described “burst” as the ability “to move from zero to 60 mph as fast as possible.”

“Burst is a huge, huge factor in the game of football,” he said. “When you read about guys in the NFL Draft, you hear that word all the time. Everything we do will be geared toward that.”

http://www.journalstar.com/articles/2007/1...7d307741441.txt

Nebraska needs to hire another coach — a strength coach this time.

Dave Kennedy, who took over as head strength coach of Nebraska in 2004, resigned over the weekend.

The departure of Kennedy comes less than two months after Steve Pederson was fired as athletic director, and just two weeks after Bill Callahan was fired as football coach.

The Husker football program went 27-22 in Kennedy’s time as head strength coach.

Mostly free from criticism during his first three seasons, Kennedy took some heat from fans this past fall when the defensive line was pushed around on a weekly basis. Nebraska finished ranked 116th out of 119 teams in rushing defense.

The 47-year-old Kennedy graduated from Nebraska in 1985 and assisted in NU’s strength department under Boyd Epley from 1982-88.

He moved on to become the head strength coach at Ohio State (1989-2001) and Pittsburgh (2002-03), impressing the likes of Callahan and Pederson along the way.

While he was the head coach of the Oakland Raiders, Callahan tried to hire Kennedy.

He failed in that attempt, but got his man in 2004 when Kennedy followed Steve Pederson from Pittsburgh to Nebraska.

It seemed a natural fit for Kennedy, an Omaha native who got his start in the Husker program.

Still, the move perhaps came as some surprise since Nebraska was coming off a 10-3 season with Bryan Bailey in charge of the strength program.

Callahan offered Bailey a job as an assistant to Kennedy.

Bailey, part of the NU program since 1986, soon left to work in the USC strength department in 2005.

“I made a change, and with all due respect to Bryan Bailey, I made that change for the betterment of our team,” Callahan said in 2004. “I wanted to retain Coach Bailey because he does have expertise and value here. He’s very well-respected by our team and players, and I wanted him to be a part of this program.”

Upon his arrival, Kennedy said the new No. 1 word in football players’ vocabulary would be “burst.”

“That’s what we’re going to try to develop. The players will be hearing that, hearing that and hearing that,” Kennedy said.

Kennedy described “burst” as the ability “to move from zero to 60 mph as fast as possible.”

“Burst is a huge, huge factor in the game of football,” he said. “When you read about guys in the NFL Draft, you hear that word all the time. Everything we do will be geared toward that.”

well, i guess as Dave was developing "burst" in our players, they kind of went "bust"?

evidently this philosophy never bore any fruit....another cally buzz word from his NFL daze?? <_<