Can The Huskers Re-Join The Nation's Elite?

Wally

http://bigrednetwork.com/archives/2007/12/...y_scenario.html

The Rosy Scenario

by Steve Hanway

When politicians make forecasts for the purposes of budgeting, they often rely on the most optimistic growth scenarios for the economy, which allow them to say there will be more money coming in from taxes for spending programs and yet tax rates won’t need to be increased. It’s probably not the most realistic outlook, but it sure feels good at the time.

You can look at the statistics for Bo Pelini over the past five years and see his teams have finished in the top fifteen nationally in total defense. You can look at Nebraska over the past two years and see the Huskers have finished in the top fifteen in total offense. If the Huskers could put those two things together they’d have a great team. In the last nine seasons twenty-three teams have managed the feat (that’s fewer than three a year) and they’ve gone a combined 248-37 (an 87% win percentage). That translates to about 11-2. Not surprisingly, the only Husker team in the last nine seasons that finished near the top of the rankings in total offense and total defense was the 2001 squad that went 11-1 in the regular season.

The Huskers lose their offensive MVP in Maurice Purify, and while nine touchdowns might not seem irreplaceable, he was a match-up nightmare for opponents that the Huskers don’t appear to have for next year. It’s anybody’s guess at this point whether Marlon Lucky will be back next year. The play of Joe Ganz was encouraging but three games might be too few to really know what he’ll look like next season. The offensive line should be better with youngsters like Mike Smith, Jaivorio Burkes, and D.J. Jones coming along behind a number of returning veterans. But whether or not the Huskers will remain a top fifteen offensive unit remains to be seen, especially when they may need to adapt to a new playbook.

Defensively, the Huskers are sure to be better on the defensive line with everyone back along with some newcomers. They lose four senior linebackers including defensive MVP Steve Octavien and three senior cornerbacks. It’s hard to imagine Nebraska won’t be substantially better than 112th in total defense, but can they climb 100 spots in the rankings in one season? That would seem like an awfully tall order. Much of it may depend on the staff’s ability to find recruits that can step in immediately and help.

But if they put it all together by playing to form offensively and coupling it with some Bo defensive magic, then the Huskers will back in their rightful place in top ten. Likely? Maybe not. But for now, let’s just think about what could be if things go right.

In order to join the nation's elite, the OL must do a better job than the entire 4 years Clownahan was here. They must blow the other team off the ball for any success to be achieved. IMO, the OL has been the biggest deficit in BC's tenure which is odd considering he started his coaching career as an OL coach. I think a new strength and conditioning coach will pay big dividends with regards to the OL. I think there's enough young talent at the RB and WR positions to be solid on offense. The biggest challenge next year will be at the LB position and the DB position due to most being seniors this year.

In order to join the nation's elite, the OL must do a better job than the entire 4 years Clownahan was here. They must blow the other team off the ball for any success to be achieved. IMO, the OL has been the biggest deficit in BC's tenure which is odd considering he started his coaching career as an OL coach. I think a new strength and conditioning coach will pay big dividends with regards to the OL. I think there's enough young talent at the RB and WR positions to be solid on offense. The biggest challenge next year will be at the LB position and the DB position due to most being seniors this year.

I think you're right. In order for the Huskers to do anything next year, they have to be able to run between the tackles. If they can be successful up the middle, that will open up everything else ("that's what she said").

I think the D will be better as there is some good young talent there.

It seems like the "National Elite" changes pretty much every year now. It's more of a "What have you done lately" mentality. You may think, well there are schools that are always there period, but look at the coverage over this year. Michigan got a lot of coverage for losing but not much when they put together a string of wins, Notre Dame by the end of the season was an afterthought because they didn't win and they have the most storied program in college football history. If Nebraska can rebuilt and become a consistant top 10 program again then it will be an elite program for that period of time. I am not sure with today's media culture that historical success means as much to people (other than die hard fans) as it once did.

In order to be successful on either side of the ball, we have to win the trench war. If we take care of the trench war, everything else will take care of itself. I've felt for a while that our strength and conditioning has been suspect. We've had some freak injuries that typically happen when the conditioning just isn't there. We have got to be dominant on the OL and DL again in order to achieve any kind of success like we were once used to.

In order to be successful on either side of the ball, we have to win the trench war. If we take care of the trench war, everything else will take care of itself. I've felt for a while that our strength and conditioning has been suspect. We've had some freak injuries that typically happen when the conditioning just isn't there. We have got to be dominant on the OL and DL again in order to achieve any kind of success like we were once used to.

i agree, the success next season begins right now in the weight room and with a dedicated conditioning program which we haven't seen for years.

i agree, the success next season begins right now in the weight room and with a dedicated conditioning program which we haven't seen for years.

:bonez:horns2:horns2:bonez

Totally agree. Next year is now and in order to be where we want to be the OL and DL needs to be in the weight room. Muscle needs to be built, strength needs to be gained and body fat lost. The lines were embarrassing at times last year. I have always taken a lot of pride in the performance of Nebraska lineman.

Bring back the pride. GBR

>>>T_O_B

:bonez:horns2:horns2:bonez

If Pat White stayed healthy WV would be playing for all the marbles. If they can do it we can do it.

IMO, Oregon would have had a better chance of playing for the MNC if Dixon didn't get hurt.

Dixon is amazing. I think it was the Michigan game that I watched where he was unbelievable. He looked like Marcus Vick being chased by some dogs. They were definate NC contenders with him in the game.

It may all be on the O/L if this team is to improve next year. The running game is probably key to next years success. Of course it helps if we have a Q/B that can move around when flushed out of the pocket. Nothing against Keller, he looked good when given the time to throw but he was dead meat when the O/L fell apart. Ganz and Lee fit the running mold if the O/L needs time to get it's act together. I don't worry to much about the defense, it can only get better and that should help with a few more wins.

GBR!!!