Just how good was...

T_O_Bull

:):):hellloooo:hellloooo:):)

Just how good was Tommie Frazier? The week before the '96 National Championship Game Number 15 was featured on the cover of Sports Illustrated. Oh no! The SI Cover Curse, not so fast my friend. Tommie went out and put on a Heisman Trophy winning display of football prowess. Too bad the vote was already in, but still Tommie Frazier was way too good to be cursed by the SI cover or anything else for that matter.

>>>T_O_B

:corndance:corndance:clap:clap:corndance:corndance

I'm assuming you meant the 95 NC game? We didn't play in the 96' NC game as Texas ended our hopes for that. Tommie was a great QB for Nebraska. Was he the best option QB ever to play the game? Very debateable at best. Right now, Florida would more than likely tell you that Tebow is the best option QB to ever play the game. It would be hard to debate this against the likes of Tommie Frazier also considering their stats. Frazier never had any season stats that just jumped out and wowed anyone except for in the wins/losses column. He was a gamer, but he was surrounded by outstanding talent.

:):hellloooo:hellloooo:)

Just to clarify, '95 season, championship played in January of '96 and it wasn't so much Texas stopping us as it was Jake the Snake Plumber and his ASU Sun Devils that dashed our hopes of a 3-peet. As far as Tebow goes, he has as many losses this year as Tommie had in his career, W's and L's are the only stat that counts. Who was the greatest option QB to ever play the game, I don't care, what I do know is that, Tommie Frazier was a Husker, and he beat the SI Cover Curse. I can still hear Pavelka's call, "Look at Tommie Frazier, how many tackles can one man break?... Touchdown, touchdown, touchdown Tommie Fraaaazier."

>>>T_O_B

:bonez:cheers:cheers:bonez

PS. Let's wait and see how Tebow does with the Heisman Curse.

Just how good was Tommie Frazier? The week before the '96 National Championship Game Number 15 was featured on the cover of Sports Illustrated. Oh no! The SI Cover Curse, not so fast my friend. Tommie went out and put on a Heisman Trophy winning display of football prowess. Too bad the vote was already in, but still Tommie Frazier was way too good to be cursed by the SI cover or anything else for that matter.

>>>T_O_B

Hands down the greatest option qb to EVER play the game.

Bobby Douglas > Tommie Frazier

>>>T_O_B

Hands down the greatest option qb to EVER play the game.

Bobby Douglas > Tommie Frazier

Aaaaa... No.

>>>T_O_B

I'm assuming you meant the 95 NC game? We didn't play in the 96' NC game as Texas ended our hopes for that. Tommie was a great QB for Nebraska. Was he the best option QB ever to play the game? Very debateable at best. Right now, Florida would more than likely tell you that Tebow is the best option QB to ever play the game. It would be hard to debate this against the likes of Tommie Frazier also considering their stats. Frazier never had any season stats that just jumped out and wowed anyone except for in the wins/losses column. He was a gamer, but he was surrounded by outstanding talent.

:):hellloooo:hellloooo:)

Just to clarify, '95 season, championship played in January of '96 and it wasn't so much Texas stopping us as it was Jake the Snake Plumber and his ASU Sun Devils that dashed our hopes of a 3-peet. As far as Tebow goes, he has as many losses this year as Tommie had in his career, W's and L's are the only stat that counts. Who was the greatest option QB to ever play the game, I don't care, what I do know is that, Tommie Frazier was a Husker, and he beat the SI Cover Curse. I can still hear Pavelka's call, "Look at Tommie Frazier, how many tackles can one man break?... Touchdown, touchdown, touchdown Tommie Fraaaazier."

>>>T_O_B

:bonez:cheers:cheers:bonez

PS. Let's wait and see how Tebow does with the Heisman Curse.

Well, on here since the majority of the posters are Husker fans you no doubt will get a lot of support saying Frazier was the best. However, we're a pretty biased bunch here. The CU fan says Hagan, and he was a great QB for CU giving them a NC which hasn't been accomplished since at CU. OU fans probably have 1 or 2 QB's in mind when asking about the best option QB.

My point about Tebow is the fact that he accomplished something no other option QB has ever accomplished. He is the first QB EVER to throw for 20 or more TD's and run for 20 or more TD's in a single season. He's the first sophomore EVER to win the Heisman. There are only 2 QB's ever to throw for 2000 yards and run for 1000 yards. Brad Smith was one of them. It is arguable that he may have been the best option QB. The only reason Florida didn't win another NC this year is because of their defense. Like I said, Frazier was surrounded by outstanding talent on both sides of the ball. Saying he is the best even though he never had a 1000 - 1000 season is very arguable considering both Frost and Crouch did it here at NU. Considering stats, it's arguable that Frazier was even the best option QB to play for NU. Btw, even though we lost to ASU in 96 we were in the NC game if we beat Texas in the Big 12 Championship game.

My point about Tebow is the fact that he accomplished something no other option QB has ever accomplished. He is the first QB EVER to throw for 20 or more TD's and run for 20 or more TD's in a single season. He's the first sophomore EVER to win the Heisman. There are only 2 QB's ever to throw for 2000 yards and run for 1000 yards. Brad Smith was one of them. It is arguable that he may have been the best option QB. The only reason Florida didn't win another NC this year is because of their defense. Like I said, Frazier was surrounded by outstanding talent on both sides of the ball. Saying he is the best even though he never had a 1000 - 1000 season is very arguable considering both Frost and Crouch did it here at NU. Considering stats, it's arguable that Frazier was even the best option QB to play for NU. Btw, even though we lost to ASU in 96 we were in the NC game if we beat Texas in the Big 12 Championship game.

You continue to knock Frazier down a peg because of the talent around him. If the talent was so good back then, don't you think that the very fact that Frazier started every game he was healthy is a mark in his favor? Doesn't it stand to reason that only the very BEST player could run that team?

Think of it this way - if Frazier did NOT have that talent around him to eat up a bunch of those stats you're citing, do you think he would have failed to go 1,000/1,000 in any season he was here? I would argue that the very talent you're using to knock Frazier actually hurts your argument. Brook Berringer was very good, yet Frazier started in front of him when both were healthy.

To me it's clear, having watched Tebow, Crouch, Frost, Berringer, Frazier, Vince Young, even Steve Taylor, Darrian Hagan, Brad Smith, Turner Gill, Jamelle Holieway - even as far back as Thomas Lott, that Frazier was the best of this bunch.

To me it's clear, having watched Tebow, Crouch, Frost, Berringer, Frazier, Vince Young, even Steve Taylor, Darrian Hagan, Brad Smith, Turner Gill, Jamelle Holieway - even as far back as Thomas Lott, that Frazier was the best of this bunch.

Oh yeah? Ever watch Major Harris? Huh? Huh? Now THERE was an option quarterback. Better than any of those goofs.

Major Harris > Goofs listed above

(Someone needs to agree with me because I'm down to Michael Vick and I REALLY don't want to mention him in a list of greatest anything... <_< )

You continue to knock Frazier down a peg because of the talent around him. If the talent was so good back then, don't you think that the very fact that Frazier started every game he was healthy is a mark in his favor? Doesn't it stand to reason that only the very BEST player could run that team?

Think of it this way - if Frazier did NOT have that talent around him to eat up a bunch of those stats you're citing, do you think he would have failed to go 1,000/1,000 in any season he was here? I would argue that the very talent you're using to knock Frazier actually hurts your argument. Brook Berringer was very good, yet Frazier started in front of him when both were healthy.

Why would you have to have the BEST player to run a team full of talent? This argument makes absolutely ZERO sense. In 94', we had the 3rd string QB go in and start and beat a ranked KState team. We won against CU in 94' when they were ranked 2nd or 3rd with the #2 QB. If you want to talk about teams who can't win without the starting QB, look no further than Oregon this year. When OU's QB got hurt, they got beat by Texas Tech. I would say those 2 teams QB was a lot more valuable to their team than Frazier was to ours.

Frost had plenty of talent around him, yet he still had a 1000/1000 season. Considering LP didn't play much of the 95' season, we didn't have him eating many of Frazier's stats up; but Frost did have Ahman eating up his stats and still had a 1000/1000 season.

Frazier had unmeasurable intangibles, and this is what made him great. However, he didn't have Crouch's speed. He didn't have Frosts size or strength. I think you're also forgetting that Frost only lost 2 games in his tenure at Nebraska. Frost was only the 7th player at the time in D1 to have a 1000/1000 season, yet he wasn't even invited to the Heisman ceremony. IMO, Frazier would not have had nearly as good of seasons if he would have played when Crouch did with the weapons or lack thereof that Crouch had from 98-01.

Why would you have to have the BEST player to run a team full of talent? This argument makes absolutely ZERO sense. In 94', we had the 3rd string QB go in and start and beat a ranked KState team. We won against CU in 94' when they were ranked 2nd or 3rd with the #2 QB. If you want to talk about teams who can't win without the starting QB, look no further than Oregon this year. When OU's QB got hurt, they got beat by Texas Tech. I would say those 2 teams QB was a lot more valuable to their team than Frazier was to ours.

Frost had plenty of talent around him, yet he still had a 1000/1000 season. Considering LP didn't play much of the 95' season, we didn't have him eating many of Frazier's stats up; but Frost did have Ahman eating up his stats and still had a 1000/1000 season.

Frazier had unmeasurable intangibles, and this is what made him great. However, he didn't have Crouch's speed. He didn't have Frosts size or strength. I think you're also forgetting that Frost only lost 2 games in his tenure at Nebraska. Frost was only the 7th player at the time in D1 to have a 1000/1000 season, yet he wasn't even invited to the Heisman ceremony. IMO, Frazier would not have had nearly as good of seasons if he would have played when Crouch did with the weapons or lack thereof that Crouch had from 98-01.

Why would he have to be the best to start on that team? Because if there was someone better he'd be on the bench. On top of that, he was recruited to play with this phenomenal team as a peer, not as someone the rest of the team had to carry.

Frankly I couldn't care less about Dixon because his situation is irrelevant to this conversation.

Yes, Phillips missed time in 1995 - but a crazy-good Freshman Ahman Green stepped right in to the tune of 1,000 yards and 13 TDs, stats that Frazier COULD HAVE earned had the defense not been so keen to stop him and him alone. They had to choose which guy they feared most, and they chose Frazier, thus Green ran rampant all season long.

Comparing Frost to Frazier is like comparing a Corvette to a Ferrari. Both are very nice cars, but only one of them gets you chicks in Milan. Frazier will get you chicks in Milan.

While 1000 yards and 13 TD's is good, Ahman had over 1600 yards while playing with Frost. I'd say he took quite a few of Frost's stats.

I never said Frazier wasn't the best QB on the team. I'm simply stating that calling him the greatest to ever play college football is absurd. Calling him the best option QB ever is very debateable. Frazier was 33-3 as a starter with a 91.7% winning percentage. Frost was 24-2 with a 92.3% winning percentage. Frost had a 1000/1000 season. Frost holds NU's record for 155 passes with 0 INT's. Again, pick your poison on how you evaluate who the best really was.

The 1995 isn't considered the best of all time simply because of Frazier. I think the likes of Christian and Jason Peter, Aaron Graham, Aaron Taylor, Mike Minter, Tyrone Williams, Farley, Tomich, Wistrom, etc. all had a hand in making the best college football team ever.