So what are your thoughts on Mo's comments

His comments surprised me...we had his back when he was arrested twice and this is how he repays us?

What the hell are you talking about? When I looked on this board during the summer, there were several page threads, with a majority of the posts saying "What an idiot, no room for him here...". Even if WE (whoever that means) DID back him, how the hell is he supposed to know that? Is he expected to check up on his status with the fans via the most accessible husker messageboards? Or is he supposed to listen to the 85,000 on gamedays...

What part about "they only care about winning" do you really think is accurate, or even appropriate coming from a (former) representative of the University of Nebraska?

Um, pretty much all parts of it are accurate. You guys can talk all you want about it being about "the way in which we play", but last year we were very competitive with four top 10 teams, and people were still calling for Callahan's job. No matter how tough your teams are, and how close you get in big games, you aren't going to stay at Nebraska if you don't win, because that is what everyone cares about more than anything else.

It's a shame really.

I'm not sure I would call it a, 'shame'. I never agree with the sheer venom from some fans that accompanies losses, but who the heck wants to have a mediocre--or worse--Big Red?! I think we've got to maintain the standard.

Calli was getting the big bucks: he just couldn't have a season like this and hope to survive. The bottom line is really not a personal thing against Calli for me; you get the big bucks at a power school and you've got to win in a big way. :corndance

This ain't Indiana--or "Whatever U".

I still contend that it isn't about winning perse, it's about playing like you want to win. I remember reading articles about how certain losses felt like wins (because the Huskers played their best) and certain wins felt like losses in previous Callahan seasons.

It's not about winning, it's about how you play the game, and when the game is played like we expect they're going to win most of the time.

:yeah

I think Mo's comments reflect an ignorance of what Nebraska football is all about, which is definitely the fault of Cally and Pedey.

"Not the victory but the action, Not the goal but the game, in the deed the glory".

When it is evident on the field that there is a lack of intensity (and Mo you're not exempt...you alligator-armed a few passes), the fans are going to voice their displeasure.

With all Mo has been through this season, it should be normal that football might be on the back burner.

His comments surprised me...we had his back when he was arrested twice and this is how he repays us?

You're kidding right now, right? He doesn't owe us a thing. YOU didn't have his back, and neither did any of us. The UNIVERSITY had his back.

With all Mo has been through this season, it should be normal that football might be on the back burner.

You're kidding right now, right? He doesn't owe us a thing. YOU didn't have his back, and neither did any of us. The UNIVERSITY had his back.

correct, cally sucked him up from a juco, he was just looking for a place to play a couple years and couldn't give 2 sh#ts about the tradition here. cally didn't care either, he never got it so how could we expect the players to get it?

I'm happy to see something new to stir up the pot a little as they say. It is a shame that people take two sentences out of context and think that Mo Purify is out to shame our state, our football team, our university. What a joke to even accuse him of that. The guy was speaking his opinion on a matter. I think you need to go talk to Mr. Purify himself and ask him what he really meant and his exact intentions. There are plenty of football players, coaches, athletic directors, etc that are not always well spoken, things get messed up in the media, people take things out of context.

Does Mo really think that there is nothing else to care about besides winning? I highly doubt that. Just take a look though at all the junk we have all posted on here in the last 5 months and tell me about many times people wanted to win more games.

I appreciate the comment someone said about Osborne in his first few years. He went 9-2, 9-3, 10-2, and 9-3 with 3 bowl wins. He even tells the story that after that 4th year walking off the field after a victory in the Bluebonnet Bowl a regent came up to him and said something to the effect of "well tom, good thing you won or else you would have been out of a job tomorrow."

Unless you were ignorant to college football as a whole this year you will know that the tables have turned, the playing field is leveling out. Recruiting is no longer a mystery where some colleges have huge advantages over other. Facilities are outdoing the competitors each year. I do not see the days of multiple undefeated teams and 1 loss teams anymore. I'm happy there is finally some competition.

As a thought about the way we react to players here....this isn't just about the last four years guys. We've always been tough on our players. Anybody remember all the crap fans put Jamal Lord through? He said he'd never come back to Nebraska because of it although he eventually did.

Bad attitudes on the team maybe, but let's not go patting ourselves on the back too much as fans. We still aren't the ones on the field.

correct, cally sucked him up from a juco, he was just looking for a place to play a couple years and couldn't give 2 sh#ts about the tradition here. cally didn't care either, he never got it so how could we expect the players to get it?

Yeah because no juco players ever care about Nebraska's tradition...

especially not the likes of Zac Taylor, Mize Rozier, etc.

I don't see why everyone is getting so upset. His comments were basically spot on. It is crazy at the games, and lots of people do show up. And the most important thing to every fan is winning. We expect and demand to win. It has been this way since the 70s. TO talked about the demand for winning at the press conference that announced Callahan's firing. He understands that is the way it is at Nebraska. We need not be ashamed that we want and demand excellence.

I'm guessing that Purify's comments were largely a result of frustration. I'm sure it can be a little irritating for fans to turn on you when you are not winning. Unfortunately a minority of fans take it too far, and I'm sure from his perspective, it is easy to lump all the fans who are demanding excellence into the same group of fans who are idiots.

I don't think he should be thrown under the bus for this...

:bonez:horns2:horns2:bonez

Yup. I like to win and if we don't win I like to see maximum effort on the field when we lose. I also expect the players to feel the same way. Be a leader, let your teamates know that you expect 100% from them on every play, that the quest for excellence is what is expected of every young man who puts on that Red jersey. Anything less is totally unacceptable. If you don't understand this you are at the wrong school.

>>>T_O_B

:bonez:bonez:bonez:bonez

You guys can talk all you want about it being about "the way in which we play", but last year we were very competitive with four top 10 teams, and people were still calling for Callahan's job. No matter how tough your teams are, and how close you get in big games, you aren't going to stay at Nebraska if you don't win, because that is what everyone cares about more than anything else.

It's a shame really.

I don't remember many people calling for Callahan's job last year. The fans were divided to an extent, but people weren't unanimously calling for a change in coaching staff. Hell, that didn't even start until after the Oklahoma State game this season. Furthermore, which 4 top 10 teams were we "very" competitive with? Texas. That's the only one I can count. Was Auburn in the top ten?

And I will talk all I want about "the way in which we play." Osborne's teams lost all kinds of heartbreakers when I was a kid, but I never thought for a second that the team didn't deserve support. This team got blown out 5 times this year. THAT'S why people were so vocal about Callahan being fired in the middle of his fourth season.

Winning is obviously important to everybody, the university especially, but the animosity which Purify speaks of is due mostly to the embarassments on the field that just kept manifesting week after week.

Mo Purify is the personification of the previous regime. No respect or knowledge of the past.

The tradition or what football means to the fans and state did not lure MO to NU, plain and simple it was the opportunity to punch his card to the NFL.

Attitude reflects leadership, and MO’s leaders (coaches) while he was here did nothing to foster the NU tradition.

So I can’t say I am real surprised from his comments. I am just glad he is gone and free to be a felon elsewhere.

It's time to move on. I hope Mo has a great NFL carrier, it's to bad he had a bad ending to his stay in Lincoln, but he will grow and move on also. I don't think we will ever have a 40+ year run like we had, but I do expect the Huskers to be back among the elite programs again with a 2 or 3 loss season from time to time, sprinkled in over the next 10 to 20 years. I got to enjoy the start of the run, as a grade schooler with my Knot Hole Tickets, now lets hope the new and young Husker fans will get to experience the same thing a lot of us got to enjoy when the great coach, Bob D. arrived.

GBR!!!