McKeon says, they changed the defense this year

huskerhaze

So he says "guys started to cave" as the season began to falter?

Maybe he should have said "me and some other guys started to cave". Wow, so much for leadership. They caved, he did nothing but whine about the fans being so mean that football wasn't fun anymore.

What a huge disappointment this kid turned out to be in his final season.

So he says "guys started to cave" as the season began to falter?

Maybe he should have said "me and some other guys started to cave". Wow, so much for leadership. They caved, he did nothing but whine about the fans being so mean that football wasn't fun anymore.

What a huge disappointment this kid turned out to be in his final season.

Short of Callahan I don't know if there's anyone in the world who embodies the horrific fall of the Nebraska Cornhuskers more than this idiot. Every time I see a picture of his stupid grinning face I want to stick a thumb tack through my finger. His horrific play matched with his worse attitude is simply so contrary to what it is to be a Husker that it defies logic how he ever saw the field. The only explanation is Callahan and Cosgrove, who allowed this little girl to go out there and embarrass himself week after week.

I'm almost as happy for him leaving as I am Callahan. Bo Pelini would have smacked this kid into orbit if he'd pulled half the sh#t he did this season under his watch.

Oh, and good luck McKlown trying to arm tackle a professional running back.

X

there was talent on the D, it just was under used.

corey is a perfect example. he could have been a monster, but for the most part he as pretty passive. he didn't seem like he was motivated and coaches didn't seem interested in motivating anyone.

this is why bo is here now. osborne one look at this team and knew where the work was needed.

hopefully, order will be resorted next season.

As for this talent thing on D --- OK there was talent on the defense that would warrant a #50 type defense, maybe #40 if they were well coached. They were slow, weak, and non-physical. That the defense ranked over #100 nationally (rather than #40-50) is due to bad, bad coaching. But by no means was the NU Defense talented, if by talented you mean they could be a top 20-type defense --- no way. When your middle LB is a 4.7 guy, the SAM is 4.75, and the WILL a 4.6, and when your interior lineman are thrown around like rag dolls for being so overpowered by the opposing OL, and when the tackling skills of the entire defense are horrific -- that all goes beyond bad coaching (though bad coaching really does effect tackling skills). No, talent is where your MLB is 4.55, the SAM is 4.5 and the WILL is 4.45 and where the interior lineman hold their ground and even get penetration. Our DE's ware horribly slow, lacked quickness and were ineffective. No, there was, at best, modest talent on the NU defense.

Do not fool yourselves, NU will return talent on defense next year that will be, at best, mid-level to upper mid-level B12. At least 4 or 5 of the teams in the conference will have better talent. And our talent will be largely undeveloped. Do not expect a top 20 defense next year. Perhaps a top 35 or so --- which is to say a decent, solid defense --- but Bo cannot build bricks without straw --- the talent is not there for a top-notch defense --- at least not yet. If Kuli is all that they say and if we get Thompson (and he is as good as they say) and if Townsend is really good, and if Dillard is healthy and if Culbert plays well and if Murillo and Asante improve, and if...... there are way too many and if's to see a great D coming.

Lets just hope that they can be decent.

Wow!! :wtf

Hate much?

He'll make it or not based on the talent he can show (or not) at the combine.

His value to the NFL will be judged by the pros.

He's gone, I wish good luck to him (and all ex-players as far as that goes).

But, opinions vary.

GO BO!!

And see how well that worked out for everybody. Who really cares what whiners have to say?

If he wasn't a senior already, either Bo would man him up or he'd quit and go crying to his mama.

Based on what appeared to be a backhanded comment about the fans, I'm calling him out as the whiner. Jamal Lord aside, has there ever been a group of Husker players (Callahan's) that did so much belly-aching about the fans? Traditionally Husker players have liked the fan support. Of course if a player doesnt give his all, should he expect "all" from the fans? Quid pro quo, Corey.

He is, at best, a special teams player who might get some reps at safety if he can make the adjustment. Too small for an NFL backer, thats for sure. Oh, and it helps if you can tackle. That might come back to haunt him. Still, best of luck to him.

might get some reps at safety ? :lol:

I'm pretty sure if you run a 6.7 forty you can't make it in the NFL !

:cheers ( have another one )

And see how well that worked out for everybody. Who really cares what whiners have to say?

If he wasn't a senior already, either Bo would man him up or he'd quit and go crying to his mama.

Based on what appeared to be a backhanded comment about the fans, I'm calling him out as the whiner. Jamal Lord aside, has there ever been a group of Husker players (Callahan's) that did so much belly-aching about the fans? Traditionally Husker players have liked the fan support. Of course if a player doesnt give his all, should he expect "all" from the fans? Quid pro quo, Corey.

Then again, the players had no reason to complain about fans because the team was winning and fans were not jumping down the players throats. Also, this is the internet age and boards like this did not exist 5 years ago. So players could not then simply go to a web page and read how the fans are calling them wimps, cowards, and whiners. Now we have fans on this and other boards continually calling out players and saying that they suck, that they.... so players read that and think"well why should I take that from these ...." And it is downhill from there.

I assure you that if this and other boards were up in the late 80's and 90's people then would have called out the players, the players would have been mad and would have responded just like McKeon and Purify and others have now. There is nothing new under the sun. When players (or anybody else) are called names and are told they suck, are wimps, or whatever in a public forum (in this case the internet), they will retaliate. If the context were the same years ago, the response would have been the same too. Consider that now that everyone can demean anyone in a public forum now and that people in visible positions (like coaches) will not last long at any one place because the abuse will get to them after a time and they will move elsewhere until the abuse is unbearable there ... and they move again. For players, they just take the abuse and try their best to cope. And hope that they do not go on record for saying that they don't appreciate the slander --- for if they do, then the abuse just gets worse. No, the players of old, were they in the same position as the players now, they would have been pretty similar in their responce.

there was talent on the D, it just was under used.

corey is a perfect example. he could have been a monster, but for the most part he as pretty passive. he didn't seem like he was motivated and coaches didn't seem interested in motivating anyone.

this is why bo is here now. osborne one look at this team and knew where the work was needed.

hopefully, order will be resorted next season.

As for this talent thing on D --- OK there was talent on the defense that would warrant a #50 type defense, maybe #40 if they were well coached. They were slow, weak, and non-physical. That the defense ranked over #100 nationally (rather than #40-50) is due to bad, bad coaching. But by no means was the NU Defense talented, if by talented you mean they could be a top 20-type defense --- no way. When your middle LB is a 4.7 guy, the SAM is 4.75, and the WILL a 4.6, and when your interior lineman are thrown around like rag dolls for being so overpowered by the opposing OL, and when the tackling skills of the entire defense are horrific -- that all goes beyond bad coaching (though bad coaching really does effect tackling skills). No, talent is where your MLB is 4.55, the SAM is 4.5 and the WILL is 4.45 and where the interior lineman hold their ground and even get penetration. Our DE's ware horribly slow, lacked quickness and were ineffective. No, there was, at best, modest talent on the NU defense.

Do not fool yourselves, NU will return talent on defense next year that will be, at best, mid-level to upper mid-level B12. At least 4 or 5 of the teams in the conference will have better talent. And our talent will be largely undeveloped. Do not expect a top 20 defense next year. Perhaps a top 35 or so --- which is to say a decent, solid defense --- but Bo cannot build bricks without straw --- the talent is not there for a top-notch defense --- at least not yet. If Kuli is all that they say and if we get Thompson (and he is as good as they say) and if Townsend is really good, and if Dillard is healthy and if Culbert plays well and if Murillo and Asante improve, and if...... there are way too many and if's to see a great D coming.

Lets just hope that they can be decent.

actually, a pretty good assessment of where we stand, in the talent arena. not so hot, but we can work to get back to the super-aggrssive nature of the Blackshirt tradition and that will be a start and a big departure from the Clownahan/Cozworthless days........we need to start somewhere.

A big jump in quality, like in '03, leaves us at average in '08. It isn't fair to expect us to have the '03 defense 'in 08 because the starting-point is much lower.

But don't forget how our D was screwed by poor S&C. Coaching isn't the only thing changing. Better S&C would have brought the D up significantly in the rankings, unimpressive but not the utter trainwreck it was. With first-rate S&C I think we'd have probably made it to 7-5(at-least 6-6) with the losses being more competitive.

But also don't forget about our heavy graduation on D. We incur major losses at linebacker and corner.

The D should be well-motivated anyway. Hopefully we can avoid the blow-outs and keep them motivated throughout the season.

A big jump in quality, like in '03, leaves us at average in '08. It isn't fair to expect us to have the '03 defense 'in 08 because the starting-point is much lower.

But don't forget how our D was screwed by poor S&C. Coaching isn't the only thing changing. Better S&C would have brought the D up significantly in the rankings, unimpressive but not the utter trainwreck it was. With first-rate S&C I think we'd have probably made it to 7-5(at-least 6-6) with the losses being more competitive.

But also don't forget about our heavy graduation on D. We incur major losses at linebacker and corner.

The D should be well-motivated anyway. Hopefully we can avoid the blow-outs and keep them motivated throughout the season.

Danimal and Hunter94 --- good insights. I agree that aggressiveness and tanacity should return and that can go a long way. Hunter points out rightly that aggression can compensate a great deal for lack of talent. Also, Danimal is right on S&C was really bad. Man, remember the 80's and 90's when our guys were ripped and just intimidated the snot out of the opposition? Now, our guys are soft. Can you think of virtually anyone on the defense that sports a set of guns -- biceps that make one go whoa? I can't think of a single guy. There is not one physically imposing guy on the defense (by football standards anyway).

S&C will be key.

I find it hilariouss for McKewn to say that he and the rest of the players on Defense gave it their all :bang . If that was the best they could muster, then none of them should have started ever. The effort was once of the major problems. I am sure that the players lost faith in the coaches and schemes they were running week in and week out.

Obviously the USC game exposed the horrible inability of the defensive players to shed blocks. There were so many instances of watching players like McKewn and Rudd almost aiming for a blocker instead of the person with the ball that it was ludicrous at times. What really was horrible is the fact that our DB's were the strength of our defense but they couldn't hold up when the opposing offenses had all day to throw the ball.

When we played Missouri, I remember a few days before seeing an interview with Cosgrove about his defensive approach to the game and I knew we were sunk then and there because he already had a defeatist attitude...like we were going to allow a large number of points and yards because we couldn't stop them. This was in the week before the game!! Good attitude to impart on your team Cosgrove, I remember thinking.

Anyways, I am just glad that Pelini will at the least not concede anything to any offense. Our guys will play with fire and tenacity first. That was lacking the entire year with McKewn ond other players.