Anyone else concerned?

HANC

Yes, a coaching change was needed, and yes, we got a guy most of the State wanted.... and yes, although he was not my 1st choice, I will support Coach Pelini to the end.........

As stated in other threads, we expected to lose recruits, but it is almost reaching a "laughable" scenario...and I can't figure out why...

Yes, I know that Hawkins (CU) is a great coach and is a people person, and I understand that all of the other coaches around the country are doing a great job of raising "red flags" about Bo and 1st time coach....

but, remember, Hawkins and the rest of the group were there when all of these guys committed too....... I truly thought we would lose a few, but I honestly thought that replacing Coz (worst D in school history), with Bo Pelini (one of better D-coord. by stats over last 5 years), that a lot of these DEFENSIVE recruits would be pumped....... then, once Bo has met with them, they are dropping like flies......

Offensively, I was worried about losing more guys, but once Bo retained Coach Watson, who recruited some of them, and is going to run a very similar scheme, that the damage would be held to a minimum.....but, once again, after our coaches had talked to them, they continue to drop.......

I applaud the arrival of Coach Pelini and his staff.....if fact, I absolutely love some of his assistant coaches, but am getting a little concerned that the ONLY person who has committed in the last 3 weeks is a "walk-on" from the middle of Nebraska (not that he won't be great)......and we have lost some of the better "athletes" in the country......I call them "athletes" because they haven't shown the ability to "play' in college yet...

I really hope this is just a knee jerk reaction, and that after the dead period, we shore things up....but there is a small part of me that is getting a little concerned....

I don't totally buy the whole *** thing, but I also don't buy the "give me a bunch of 1-2*** kids who work hard" theory either..........

It is funny that when Solich was fired, everyone kept saying, we just don't have any TALENT (hence 1-2 * guys)..........now everyone is saying that it is okay to line up with inderior athletes.......yes, in some instances, a FEW of the inferior athletes with a ton of heart will make it huge, but face it, you need athletes and SPEED to win.....no matter how "good" the coach is....... Everyone thinks (including me) that Stoops and Meyer are top 1-5 coaches, but look at their athletes too........... I am just worried that we will all be saying "not enough "talent" or "too many 'Nebraska' guys on the field"...........

Just food for thought.

Yes, a coaching change was needed, and yes, we got a guy most of the State wanted.... and yes, although he was not my 1st choice, I will support Coach Pelini to the end.........

As stated in other threads, we expected to lose recruits, but it is almost reaching a "laughable" scenario...and I can't figure out why...

Yes, I know that Hawkins (CU) is a great coach and is a people person, and I understand that all of the other coaches around the country are doing a great job of raising "red flags" about Bo and 1st time coach....

but, remember, Hawkins and the rest of the group were there when all of these guys committed too....... I truly thought we would lose a few, but I honestly thought that replacing Coz (worst D in school history), with Bo Pelini (one of better D-coord. by stats over last 5 years), that a lot of these DEFENSIVE recruits would be pumped....... then, once Bo has met with them, they are dropping like flies......

Offensively, I was worried about losing more guys, but once Bo retained Coach Watson, who recruited some of them, and is going to run a very similar scheme, that the damage would be held to a minimum.....but, once again, after our coaches had talked to them, they continue to drop.......

I applaud the arrival of Coach Pelini and his staff.....if fact, I absolutely love some of his assistant coaches, but am getting a little concerned that the ONLY person who has committed in the last 3 weeks is a "walk-on" from the middle of Nebraska (not that he won't be great)......and we have lost some of the better "athletes" in the country......I call them "athletes" because they haven't shown the ability to "play' in college yet...

I really hope this is just a knee jerk reaction, and that after the dead period, we shore things up....but there is a small part of me that is getting a little concerned....

I don't totally buy the whole *** thing, but I also don't buy the "give me a bunch of 1-2*** kids who work hard" theory either..........

It is funny that when Solich was fired, everyone kept saying, we just don't have any TALENT (hence 1-2 * guys)..........now everyone is saying that it is okay to line up with inderior athletes.......yes, in some instances, a FEW of the inferior athletes with a ton of heart will make it huge, but face it, you need athletes and SPEED to win.....no matter how "good" the coach is....... Everyone thinks (including me) that Stoops and Meyer are top 1-5 coaches, but look at their athletes too........... I am just worried that we will all be saying "not enough "talent" or "too many 'Nebraska' guys on the field"...........

Just food for thought.

Hanc:

I am a diehard NU fan. I love the school, the state, the people. So when I say this, realize the context. But....

NU football is in real, real, real trouble. I do not think that this team is any more talented now than it was when Callahan inherited the team. I also think that the program is worse now, overall, than it was when Callahan took over. This cannot really even be rationally contested. And, ....

The staff and coach hired here may be good --- but if so, they will have to prove it. By that I mean that no one from the outside could possibly be impressed with this staff --- there is no record of historical excellence from any of the coaches --- except Bo --- and then as an assistant not a HC. Worse still, Kansas is improving and getting recruits from Kansas will be tougher now than ever. Missouri is improving. getting recruits from there will be tougher than ever. Because there are new kids (and returning kids) on the block --- KU, Kansas, CU, and an emerging TT and even OKState --- there is now more competition for players even in Texas (not to mention Texas. A&M and Oklahoma). Opposing coaches will have an easy time recruiting against NU.

Pelini needs to be a miracle worker --- he will have to take and make a competitive team from what is really lower-middle to middle talent now (with the talent gap widening in the favor of our competition). And, he will have to do it with a staff that consists of several graduate assistants in their first job, and guys with backgrounds from Ohio University, Iowa State and NC. As a first time HC Pelini just took on the biggest challenge in NCAA football. And, given a delusional fanbase with unrealistic perceptions of the team and with expectations that are out of sync with reality... yes, I feel sorry for Bo. He has his work cut out for him. Building bricks without straw....

NU football is in serious trouble.

no team has been good every year... every program goes through struggling times and this is one for NU... but this is all Nebraskans really have and they don't want to wait another year and a half to be good again so now that we're losing all these recruits everyone's going into "panic mode"... just relax and give Bo and his staff time and let them get some experience under their belts ... no matter what Bo says, the reality is next year is a re-building year

robsker:

Unfortunatley, this is the thinking that is "creeping" into my mind and I know that it is all a very distinct possibility that you may be spot on.............. As you, they don't come any more "die-hard" than myself....I will guarantee that......but I am extremely concerned about this program.....I know that "glory days" are long gone, but the future really worries me....as you stated, the teams around us are way ahead of were we are right now...especially in the national spotlight....... with those teams' success, it will be very difficult to catch up.....especially if we are going to lose high quality athletes and only gain "walk-ons" who have a lot of heart......hell, I would die to be a Husker, no one would work harder than I.....but when I graduated High School at 150 lbs., it wouldn't matter how hard I tried...not going to cut it.....

Man I hope Bo can pull a miracle and we have to win !!!!!!!!! Winning cures all.........and brings in top-notch athletes.....

To answer the question on the topic, yes, I am concerned. The only silver lining in all of this, is that there are still 6 weeks to pound the pavement and get on the phones and get ahold of kids to try and get them to come here. Pelini has his work cut out for him, this would be a great time to prove those wrong that said he can't recruit. I hope we can get some quality players in here.

Also, down to 16 commits, 4 soft verbals(Reiff, Hoch, Okafor, Meredith) and I would bet $$$ that Ricky Henry will not qualify.

Just food for thought.

Hanc:

I am a diehard NU fan. I love the school, the state, the people. So when I say this, realize the context. But....

NU football is in real, real, real trouble. I do not think that this team is any more talented now than it was when Callahan inherited the team. I also think that the program is worse now, overall, than it was when Callahan took over. This cannot really even be rationally contested. And, ....

The staff and coach hired here may be good --- but if so, they will have to prove it. By that I mean that no one from the outside could possibly be impressed with this staff --- there is no record of historical excellence from any of the coaches --- except Bo --- and then as an assistant not a HC. Worse still, Kansas is improving and getting recruits from Kansas will be tougher now than ever. Missouri is improving. getting recruits from there will be tougher than ever. Because there are new kids (and returning kids) on the block --- KU, Kansas, CU, and an emerging TT and even OKState --- there is now more competition for players even in Texas (not to mention Texas. A&M and Oklahoma). Opposing coaches will have an easy time recruiting against NU.

Pelini needs to be a miracle worker --- he will have to take and make a competitive team from what is really lower-middle to middle talent now (with the talent gap widening in the favor of our competition). And, he will have to do it with a staff that consists of several graduate assistants in their first job, and guys with backgrounds from Ohio University, Iowa State and NC. As a first time HC Pelini just took on the biggest challenge in NCAA football. And, given a delusional fanbase with unrealistic perceptions of the team and with expectations that are out of sync with reality... yes, I feel sorry for Bo. He has his work cut out for him. Building bricks without straw....

NU football is in serious trouble.

right now our talent level is fine. but it is really going to hurt to lose a whole class like we have. we are going to need the guys that stay with us from the class to be good, not transfer/quit, or get hurt.

Concerned? Not really, though I am surprised that some of the defensive players who were committed are not embracing Bo Pelini as head coach. I would think that his reputation as a defensive coach and the whole package that Nebraska has to offer would be enough to keep those players in the fold. We knew that this recruiting class would be a long shot to hold together. The fact that these kids talk to each other and tried to recruit others players to follow them was great when they were still Huskers, but now it's biting us right in the backside.

Maybe Bo being truthful with the recruits turned them off, maybe they wanted to hear what the previous staff told them, that they would be guaranteed a starting spot or immediate playing time or Nebraska would be a stepping stone on to the playing on Sundays, whatever. Maybe these prima donna's don't want to hear that everyone is starting on the same level and everyone will be expected to give 110% on every drill in every practice or else they won't see the field??

This year, we'll take all the players who want to be Huskers and not just use the facilities to get to the next level.

Give the staff a year to build up the relationships with this year's HS juniors, the same relationships that the previous staff had the time to build. That and a return to real Nebraska football will be enough to get a recruiting class in that we can all be proud of.

GBR

Concerned? Not really, though I am surprised that some of the defensive players who were committed are not embracing Bo Pelini as head coach. I would think that his reputation as a defensive coach and the whole package that Nebraska has to offer would be enough to keep those players in the fold. We knew that this recruiting class would be a long shot to hold together. The fact that these kids talk to each other and tried to recruit others players to follow them was great when they were still Huskers, but now it's biting us right in the backside.

Maybe Bo being truthful with the recruits turned them off, maybe they wanted to hear what the previous staff told them, that they would be guaranteed a starting spot or immediate playing time or Nebraska would be a stepping stone on to the playing on Sundays, whatever. Maybe these prima donna's don't want to hear that everyone is starting on the same level and everyone will be expected to give 110% on every drill in every practice or else they won't see the field??

This year, we'll take all the players who want to be Huskers and not just use the facilities to get to the next level.

Give the staff a year to build up the relationships with this year's HS juniors, the same relationships that the previous staff had the time to build. That and a return to real Nebraska football will be enough to get a recruiting class in that we can all be proud of.

GBR

i agree. whatever Bo is telling these kids, they don't like hearing it. it is the truth, as far as pelini is concerned, he may learn from it or change his sales pitch, who knows. but let's give the guy a few years to build the relationships and reputation with the up coming kids and not panic and throw in the towel due to one poor recruiting season. everyone on this staff, save a few old veteran coaches is going to be in a learning curve for the next 2-3 years. we will have to take some 7-5 or 6-6 seasons, maybe worse, but remember if Mangino can do it, so can Pelini and Watson. sit back and let them have a chance and temper the unrealistic expectations. we just dumped a high profile NFL coach who knew x's and o's, but knew nothing about player development. although Pelini is no draw (yet) as a recruiter or HC, i would wager he and Watson will be a lot better at developing the kids we have here now.

:bang:bang:bang:bang

If these kids have nothing but making it to the NFL on their minds and I truly believe Cally's main pitch line was, "Come with me and I'll get you to the NFL," then I can see why some of these kids are leaving. Not only that but we had a 6, 7, 8 week period when it was pretty clear that HCBC was going to be gone and I don't believe Cally's crew did us any favors during this period and that left a lot of doors open for other schools. The way we play next year and the way we recruit next year will be very telling for the future of this program. I try not to worry, but I do.

>>>T_O_B

:bonez:steam:steam:bonez