Cotton return from exile

Cotton's return to NU ends four years of 'exile'

BY STEVEN M. SIPPLE / Lincoln Journal Star

Wednesday, Dec 26, 2007 - 12:22:22 am CST

He didn’t know it back in the 1970s, when he was alternating as a Nebraska offensive lineman and defensive lineman.

But in hindsight, it makes perfect sense that Barney Cotton’s versatility during his playing days would eventually serve him well as a coach. The Omaha Burke graduate started at left guard for the Husker offense as a senior in 1978 after starting at defensive tackle in 1977.

“I came to understand what defensive linemen do against offensive linemen because Charlie McBride was such a great teacher,” Cotton said of the Huskers’ former defensive line coach and coordinator. “Getting a chance to play for Charlie was unbelievable.”

A 20-year veteran of college football coaching, Cotton earlier this month was hired by new Nebraska head coach Bo Pelini to guide the Huskers’ offensive line. Cotton returns to the Big Red fold following a one-year stint as NU’s offensive coordinator/offensive line coach in 2003 followed by three seasons in the same capacity at Iowa State. He was out of college coaching this season.

Of course, Cotton’s excited to join Pelini’s staff. As a bonus of sorts, Cotton also gets to work for Tom Osborne, Nebraska’s athletic director and former head coach (1973-97).

“That kind of alleviates a lot of the bad feelings that happened four or five years ago when we were let go here,” Cotton said.

Pelini, of course, served as defensive coordinator on Nebraska’s 2003 staff, most of which was replaced soon after former athletic director Steve Pederson hired Bill Callahan as head coach on Jan. 9, 2004.

During the 2003 season, Cotton often picked Pelini’s brain about why his defense did certain things in certain situations. Pelini has said he learned a lot from Cotton, and the two became fast friends.

“Our wives became good friends, too, and over the last four years we’ve stayed in touch,” Cotton said. “To be able to work for a guy I respect not only as a coach, but that I also can call a friend, it is really exciting.”

Cotton joins defensive assistants Carl Pelini and Marvin Sanders and tight ends coach Ron Brown as returnees from the 2003 coaching staff. Bo Pelini retained Shawn Watson as offensive coordinator, and the Huskers plan to continue to run the West Coast offense. After all, they ranked 10th nationally in total offense and eighth in passing offense this year.

Defensive problems were mostly to blame for Nebraska’s record of 5-7.

“We’re going to maintain a West Coast flavor,” Cotton said. “But we want to get back to Nebraska being a physical football team on offense — not that they weren’t before. But we really want to put an extra emphasis on being a real solid rushing team, and the West Coast offense certainly allows you to do that.”

The Huskers ranked 23rd nationally in rushing offense at 170.5 yards per game in 2006, but dipped to No. 70 this season (144.4). Part of the issue was Big Red often played from behind and had to pass the ball as a result.

Pelini has made clear his feelings about an improved running game. However, Cotton said, “We’re certainly not going to abandon the pass. I see us still being very effective throwing the ball. I think we’re looking for a good balance.”

Nebraska returns a slew of experienced offensive linemen. The Huskers lose senior starters Brett Byford at center and Carl Nicks at left tackle.

“Our philosophy is everybody is going to get a fresh start, and the best guys are going to play,” Cotton said. “Hopefully, there will be great competition.”

Cotton played on a Nebraska offensive line in 1978 that was led by NFL first-round draft choice Kelvin Clark (Cotton was a third-round selection, by the Cincinnati Bengals). The Huskers finished 9-3 overall and 6-1 in the Big Eight that season, led by I-backs Rick Berns and I.M. Hipp.

Of course, Cotton was thrilled to return to Lincoln in 2003 as a Husker assistant coach, but the staff’s firing at the end of the regular season took a heavy toll on those involved.

Last month, about two weeks before Pelini was hired as Nebraska’s head coach, Cotton received a phone call from Osborne. Cotton hadn’t heard from his old coach in several years, he said. Cotton regarded the call as a “welcome back into the Big Red football family.”

“That call meant so much to me,” Cotton said. “Especially the guys that were on the staff in 2003 that were ex-players here — we’ve kind of been in exile for four years. Whether I ultimately got a chance to come back and work at Nebraska or not, it was certainly nice to kind of put closure on the last four years. Then it put the icing on the cake when Bo called and asked me to join his staff.”

Cotton doesn’t forget the role former Nebraska head coach Frank Solich (1998-2003) played in his coaching career.

“I don’t think people always remember everything Frank gave to this program,” Cotton said. “I mean, what a legacy. To follow coach Osborne and do the things he did here … I’m just very thankful to Frank every day I sit in this office (at North Stadium), because I wouldn’t be here if it wasn’t for Frank asking me back in 2003.”

link

Not my place to go into details, but I'll just say if you sent him on an in-home or just to recruit a kid at all, you can kiss that recruit goodbye. He's lucky he has a son, otherwise the only other person he could recruit is likely a kid suffering from some sort of mental illness.

Not you're place? but you seem to have no problem of casting aspersions of his character or lack of one.

Now I'm left wondering if he's the cause of the few OL commits to decommit.

Not my place to go into details, but I'll just say if you sent him on an in-home or just to recruit a kid at all, you can kiss that recruit goodbye. He's lucky he has a son, otherwise the only other person he could recruit is likely a kid suffering from some sort of mental illness.

Let's not go throwing him under the bus before he even gets started here.

EXACTLY!!!! This is the problem with us as fans. We automatically attack the coaches before they even really get started with their jobs. I'm not going to judge anyone until the end of next season. ;)

EXACTLY!!!! This is the problem with us as fans. We automatically attack the coaches before they even really get started with their jobs. I'm not going to judge anyone until the end of next season. ;)

I believe some fans actively look for things to bitch about. Some people are just never satisfied.

i love outrageous comments, when there is nothing to back them up........your turn again, show us you have some tangible proof to back up your comment......er, i mean your opinion. and not some bullsh#t "he said" or "i heard".......something that can be substantiated.

I believe over the course of my posting career I have shown that I do not post BS. I'm sure there are quite a few people here who will back me up, even a few mods in this.

In any case, ask yourself why Cotton has not been able to latch onto any job since his time at Iowa State? Why was he only offered jobs at some of the lowest programs in the country if he was such a great coach? Ask yourself also which recruit he has gotten that has made any substantial impact at any school. Wait, Ryan Schuler was his big grab. Yes, a recruit who got his scholarships revoked from other schools because of his problems with blood clots.

Instead of asking me why I bash Cotton, maybe you should ask yourself what trait he has shown over the years that makes him easy to defend.

I'll check back to this post in about a decade when you may find the answer.