Dennis Wagner Head Football Coach

Western Carolina Names Dennis Wagner Head Football Coach

Wagner to be formally introduced at a press conference to be held on Friday in Cullowhee

Dec. 31, 2007

LINK

Cullowhee, N.C. - Western Carolina Director of Athletics Chip Smith today announced the hiring of Dennis Wagner, former offensive line coach at the University of Nebraska and head coach at Wayne State, as the 12th head coach of the Catamount Football program.

Wagner, who has seven years of head coaching experience, will be formally introduced at a press conference scheduled for Friday, Jan. 4 at 2:00 pm to be held in the first floor Hospitality Room of the Ramsey Center. The event is open to the public. Wagner replaces former head coach Kent Briggs who was reassigned within the University in mid-November following the 2007 season finale against Furman.

"I am excited about being the next head football coach at Western Carolina University," said Wagner by phone Monday afternoon. `Now is a great time to take over the Catamount program with the commitment that has been made by the administration. I am looking forward to working with our current players - they do not just want to hear about the future, but what we are going to do now. So, I am looking forward to getting there, rolling up my sleeves and getting to work."

Wagner comes to Cullowhee with more than two decades of coaching experience.

"This search process has been both intensive and extensive," said Smith. "From the beginning, it was our goal to find an experienced head coach, someone who had the ability to build and maintain a quality football program and who was a proven winner. Dennis Wagner fits that description perfectly. His background as a coordinator, head and assistant head coach, as well as his experience at the University of Nebraska - one of the nation's most storied football programs - makes him perfectly suited for taking on this responsibility."

"(Dennis) is a hard worker and an excellent recruiter. Teams with which he has been associated have been very productive offensively and exciting for the fans. This is truly a new beginning for the Western Carolina Football program," Smith added. "He and his family, wife Cyndi, daughter Whitney and son Josh, will be great additions to the Western Carolina University and the entire community. I am pleased that they will be joining the Catamount family and very excited about the future of Catamount Football."