Hawaii and Illinois

NUpolo8

Yes, I was extremely bummed when I heard the announcement that USC was going to play Illinois in the Rose Bowl. I knew that was going to be a major blowout. I really was hoping the Rose Bowl would go against tradition and take Georgia over Illinois (especially because they could not take true Big Ten champ Ohio State anyway). I mean if they didn't have Pac 10 champ vs. Big 10 champ true match-up, then this would have been good year to break tradition. A USC vs. Georgia match-up would have drawn a ton of interest and been a better game. I don't know...perhaps Sugar Bowl had already snagged Georgia so Rose could not get them anyway.

I was indifferent towards Hawaii. They earned their spot this year. Especially after what Boise State did last year, there was no way you were going to keep an undefeated Hawaii team from a BCS game. Hawaii rode the feel good wave of what Boise was able to do last year...but after their performance tonight, Hawaii ironically just destroyed the good will Boise had built for mid-majors in the BCS games. I don't think anyone wants to see a mid-major in a BCS game unless they have truly knocked off some quality opponents in their regular schedule.

Well they had to let Hawaii in because they were undefeated and because they let Boise State in last year and they actually won so they were more likely to choose a team from a non BCS conference. And for the Rose Bowl, BCS rules are that only 2 teams from each conference can be selected. That means they couldn't have selected Florida or Missouri because 2 teams from each conference are already in BCS bowls (LSU, Georgia) and (Oklahoma, Kansas). So the next available option was Illinois and it also was the Pac 10 Big 10 match up that the Rose Bowl likes. Its just the way this crazy season shook out that Illinois got in. Its kind of like how NU got into the Rose Bowl when they really didn't deserve it.

I remember when the Rose Bowl was equivalent to the national championship game. What ever happened to that?

Traditionally, the Rose Bowl pitted the Big 10 Champ vs the Pac 10 Champ. It only seemed the the national championship game because those 2 conferences have so good for so long. They still try to get Pac 10 and Big 10 BCS qualifiers, but it not always a good match - like this year.