Mizzou's difficulty handling OU

showmemojo

Missouri's weakest link is they didn't have a very good defense.

Missouri Defense in Big 12 conference play:

Scoring D: #3

Passing D: #3

Turnover Margin: #2

Rushing D: #2

Total D: #1

Sacks: #1

Read, then talk.

I don't want to start sh*t, but Mizzou was ranked #59 Nationally in total defense. I know our defense was much worse (112th), but 59th isn't that great.

Read. Then talk. <_<

I for one felt Mizzou played relatively well in Norman this year. As an outcome of the first game, many MU fans expected a better showing against OU in the CCG, than MU provided. I felt MU's win at Arrowhead which was simultaneously coupled with MU's assent to #1, couldn't have occurred at a worse time for the team from a preparation standpoint. The teams exultation and resultant Cloud 9 status due to beating their arch-rival (kU) AND becoming #1, was uncharted waters for the entire program.

My point is, I believe the resulting deluge of national media on the coaches and the team in the days leading up to the CCG led to a loss of focus on OU. At the same time, much of the natural team emotion that should have been building up throughout the week was instead (still) being spent in the period leading up to the game. I believe I saw this coming throughout the days leading up to the game.

Anyway, I'm not seeking solace here. What I would like to know, since there is nothing historically within the MU football program to compare this event to, is whether it's possible I'm somewhat correct in my assesment or just totally off base here. Is it more probable a group of 18-21 year olds should have the maturity to re-focus on OU in time to prepare mentally and physically. Did they just get their butts kicked with no ifs ands or buts about it? I was surprised MU was tied at halftime and not surprised MU ran out of gas in the 2nd half since they appeared emotionally drained. I'd appreciate input from those that may have a sense of the combined emotional and physical aspects in play here. TIA

Good luck next year. Thanks for amending your schedule so MU would play you immediately following your first significant OOC game of the year. Just out of curiousity, what impact will there be on YOUR teams focus in preparation for MU, should you win that OOC game?

I agree with your assessment of the media attention. Totally distracting, plus the curse of the Sports Illustrated cover for Chase. The Oklahoma D-Line and linebackers are incredibly quick and very hard to defend. Honestly, I think Mizzou was slightly out-manned, and somewhat intimidated. That was their first Big 12 Championship game.... rare air. And Stoops is not a better coach, IMO. He gets more talent than almost anyone, and how manages to NOT win every game point to that fact. Losing to Colorado? Even without your starting QB, Oklahoma should have won easily. Then against WV, Stoops make several stupid mistakes.

You know what his doctor told him... only eat his Cheerios off a plate. If he puts them in a bolw, he'll choke.

All I see here is a bunch of....how should I say it? Excuses... This may be a little harsh, and I'm sorry if it sounds this way, but MU was not physically or mentally prepared by Pinkel to play OU. You have to understand, when you are #1, you have a giant bullseye on your back. Your opponent wants to be the one featured on ESPN Sportscenter, as being the one's who knocked off the big bad #1. Being #1 means you have to raise your game to a higher level than what you played to get there. What happened here I believe, is that MU lost that "chip" on its shoulder when they beat KU, and I saw they got it back when they took it out on the Razorbacks. So there's no bogeyman or curses, it's just a matter of how bad do you want it. Complacency is your worst enemy. Never settle for just being good enough. As for OU? That should have been another stepping stone to get the brass ring. When your team starts thinking that way, they'll achieve that goal. Just like the coach says after you make a touchdown, "Act like you've been there before." Well enough said I think. Good Luck next year.

Oh, on the same note....This is for your fans...One dream season doesn't make a perennial powerhouse. If you're satisfied with this season, then you'll be in the cellar again in short order. Second place, for lack of a better phrase, is just simply a nice way to say you're "first loser". If not, and you want more from your teams, then you'll have what it takes to get there. We had a good series going with the Coach Powers teams in the late 70's and early 80's. I would like to see that again when the ship gets righted here. It would make playing for "The Bell" fun again.

Read, then talk.

I don't want to start sh*t, but Mizzou was ranked #59 Nationally in total defense. I know our defense was much worse (112th), but 59th isn't that great.

Read. Then talk. <_<

Thank you. I was referring to nationally. #59 puts them average at best.

Read, then talk.

Read. Then talk. <_<

That's Yards Allowed defense. Scoring Defense, Missouri is mid 30's... which is definitely not "Weak". (Unless yards are more important than points for you)

Read, then talk.

Read. Then talk. <_<

That's Yards Allowed defense. Scoring Defense, Missouri is mid 30's... which is definitely not "Weak". (Unless yards are more important than points for you)

it is weak when you are talking about playing for a national title.

• 3 months later...

You"re right. This GBR internets has a BIG12 page and I have post on it, but no so much since FB is done for. When I first found this one of you"re leaders sent me email, but not on that, only about be careful on this GBR or else they can stop you"re passowrd from work.

Some time one of you"re mod or amind will move to a nother with a grenn arrow. That"s good.

So, Iread on this but not post so much now. Nect year as it gets to MU_NU time I will. Plus also I put on the nother BIG12 page that I now have a first chance at going to MU_NU at NU.

I may not decide to call it TOUGH as Rain for 2008, but who can know that so far?

We prove with no doubt that TOUGHER TAN COTTON/ Okay, lol on that one.

Since I'm here, one more break dancing corn man> :corndance

TuffTiger

Columbia,MU.

BengalTigerUnderwater.jpg

Rain?

Tuff as giving a cat a bath?