Mizzou's difficulty handling OU

showmemojo

I for one felt Mizzou played relatively well in Norman this year. As an outcome of the first game, many MU fans expected a better showing against OU in the CCG, than MU provided. I felt MU's win at Arrowhead which was simultaneously coupled with MU's assent to #1, couldn't have occurred at a worse time for the team from a preparation standpoint. The teams exultation and resultant Cloud 9 status due to beating their arch-rival (kU) AND becoming #1, was uncharted waters for the entire program.

My point is, I believe the resulting deluge of national media on the coaches and the team in the days leading up to the CCG led to a loss of focus on OU. At the same time, much of the natural team emotion that should have been building up throughout the week was instead (still) being spent in the period leading up to the game. I believe I saw this coming throughout the days leading up to the game.

Anyway, I'm not seeking solace here. What I would like to know, since there is nothing historically within the MU football program to compare this event to, is whether it's possible I'm somewhat correct in my assesment or just totally off base here. Is it more probable a group of 18-21 year olds should have the maturity to re-focus on OU in time to prepare mentally and physically. Did they just get their butts kicked with no ifs ands or buts about it? I was surprised MU was tied at halftime and not surprised MU ran out of gas in the 2nd half since they appeared emotionally drained. I'd appreciate input from those that may have a sense of the combined emotional and physical aspects in play here. TIA

Good luck next year. Thanks for amending your schedule so MU would play you immediately following your first significant OOC game of the year. Just out of curiousity, what impact will there be on YOUR teams focus in preparation for MU, should you win that OOC game?

In the first encounter, i didn't think MU played all that well but was still very competitive. This led to think they would actually win the rematch on a neutral field.

In hindsight, i think you'd also have to say that OU could've played a lot better in that first game as well though. Watching that game, i really didn't think MU played worse than they did the first time. OU just played to their potential.

Imo, wasn't so much a case of MU falling flat; it was more a case of OU raising their game.

Missouri's weakest link is they didn't have a very good defense. Plus, Bob Stoops is a much better coach than Pinkel. Very few teams will ever have much success against Stoops the second time around. The second game, OU was much better prepared than the first. They rose to the occasion, and Venebles called a really good defensive game.

Mizzou's MO since Pinkel has been there is to win a game or two they shouldn't, and then lose a game or two they shouldn't. OU got lucky with the turnovers the first time around. Mizzou simply got outcoached the second time around.

Missouri's weakest link is they didn't have a very good defense.

Missouri Defense in Big 12 conference play:

Scoring D: #3

Passing D: #3

Turnover Margin: #2

Rushing D: #2

Total D: #1

Sacks: #1

Read, then talk.

Wow man, calm down....maybe your D got better as time went on but when we played you guys, you're defense was ranked 93rd nationally or something, so I don't blame him for thinking your D was susceptible to getting scored on.

I for one felt Mizzou played relatively well in Norman this year. As an outcome of the first game, many MU fans expected a better showing against OU in the CCG, than MU provided. I felt MU's win at Arrowhead which was simultaneously coupled with MU's assent to #1, couldn't have occurred at a worse time for the team from a preparation standpoint. The teams exultation and resultant Cloud 9 status due to beating their arch-rival (kU) AND becoming #1, was uncharted waters for the entire program.

My point is, I believe the resulting deluge of national media on the coaches and the team in the days leading up to the CCG led to a loss of focus on OU. At the same time, much of the natural team emotion that should have been building up throughout the week was instead (still) being spent in the period leading up to the game. I believe I saw this coming throughout the days leading up to the game.

Anyway, I'm not seeking solace here. What I would like to know, since there is nothing historically within the MU football program to compare this event to, is whether it's possible I'm somewhat correct in my assesment or just totally off base here. Is it more probable a group of 18-21 year olds should have the maturity to re-focus on OU in time to prepare mentally and physically. Did they just get their butts kicked with no ifs ands or buts about it? I was surprised MU was tied at halftime and not surprised MU ran out of gas in the 2nd half since they appeared emotionally drained. I'd appreciate input from those that may have a sense of the combined emotional and physical aspects in play here. TIA

Good luck next year. Thanks for amending your schedule so MU would play you immediately following your first significant OOC game of the year. Just out of curiousity, what impact will there be on YOUR teams focus in preparation for MU, should you win that OOC game?

I agree with your assessment of the media attention. Totally distracting, plus the curse of the Sports Illustrated cover for Chase. The Oklahoma D-Line and linebackers are incredibly quick and very hard to defend. Honestly, I think Mizzou was slightly out-manned, and somewhat intimidated. That was their first Big 12 Championship game.... rare air. And Stoops is not a better coach, IMO. He gets more talent than almost anyone, and how manages to NOT win every game point to that fact. Losing to Colorado? Even without your starting QB, Oklahoma should have won easily. Then against WV, Stoops make several stupid mistakes.

You know what his doctor told him... only eat his Cheerios off a plate. If he puts them in a bolw, he'll choke.

I think that every team experiences tough losses when trying to get over the next "hump". Mizzou is finally a top team in the B12 and in the nation - this usually comes with tough losses because the teams already at that plateau (i.e. OU) have played in championship games and know how to approach those games. The real test is can Mizzou get back to the B12 championship game, because once you're in the game, it doesn't matter how you got there, and you have an opportunity to win. It's much harder to win consistently against every opponent than it is to be above average with a few upsets, just ask TTech.

Weird...

I thought this forum was for Husker Football..

You"re right. This GBR internets has a BIG12 page and I have post on it, but no so much since FB is done for. When I first found this one of you"re leaders sent me email, but not on that, only about be careful on this GBR or else they can stop you"re passowrd from work.

Some time one of you"re mod or amind will move to a nother with a grenn arrow. That"s good.

So, Iread on this but not post so much now. Nect year as it gets to MU_NU time I will. Plus also I put on the nother BIG12 page that I now have a first chance at going to MU_NU at NU.

I may not decide to call it TOUGH as Rain for 2008, but who can know that so far?

We prove with no doubt that TOUGHER TAN COTTON/ Okay, lol on that one.

Since I'm here, one more break dancing corn man> :corndance

TuffTiger

Columbia,MU.

Thanks to those that contributed a response. I suppose the concensus has been it's a question of toughness gained by experience. In general, my theory has been blown out of the water.

My condolences to "Landlord of Memorial Stadium". Your offseason responsibilities (over there) are obviously getting the best of you. Take some time off. If you're unable to do that, atleast open up the concession stand and have a drink or two. After that, get a life.

Thanks to those that contributed a response. I suppose the concensus has been it's a question of toughness gained by experience. In general, my theory has been blown out of the water.

My condolences to "Landlord of Memorial Stadium". Your offseason responsibilities (over there) are obviously getting the best of you. Take some time off. If you're unable to do that, atleast open up the concession stand and have a drink or two. After that, get a life.

I think that OU was a better team, though it was a pretty even matchup. but I also think that ou's players and coaches had been in a big game like that and MU hadnt. you didnt play your best game. it happens(it did to us last year too)I dont know that there is much MU can do to improve on this other than what they would do any other offseason

I think you're right to some degree, though I agree with those who argue that OU was simply a more talented team. However, I think the emotional drain of the KU game the week before played a role in reducing your chances of winning. It's tough staying "up" emotionally two weeks in a row.

I liken the phenomenon to the 2003 MLB playoffs, when the Yankees expended all of their emotional energy in an ALCS against Boston that went 11 innings into game seven, and then came out completely flat in the World Series and got beat by what I think was an inferior Marlins team.