Can NE beat MU and/or KU next year?

TrumanBD

I'm looking forward to coming to Lincoln for our game next year. Going to a game in Lincoln is always special. I am curious if you guys think Pelini will have you improved enough next year to compete with MU and KU?

This year showed that any team can win on Saturday (or Thursday if you're the Big East). I also expect to compete with every team.

Agreed.

How do you tolerate living in Jhawk land?

As a guy who has seen alot of the tigers over the years...let me tell you that they are goin to be good next year ...but they are goin to find it tuff to replace Rucker, Franklin, Spieker and Luellen.....if Temple is denied a 5th year then they will be down some serious weapons......the Defense will miss Pig and Williams and this is a defense that was pushed around by teams at times last year....but it is still a very good unit......

I for one expect Nebraska to win 3 outta four with KU, MU, CU, and VT all coming to Lincoln.......The Huskers have as much or more talent then any of these four schools....the Huskers just need to get togehter on the field..............Ganz showed that the offense is clearly loaded and Lucky appears to be returning.....Pelini can coach...and I don't expect the kids to quit or play as soft as they did last year....bottom line....the Huskers have out recruited CU VT MU and KU over the last 3 years...and a decent push this year will put them in the mix this year....that means that there is talent....and talent wins

As a guy who has seen alot of the tigers over the years...let me tell you that they are goin to be good next year ...but they are goin to find it tuff to replace Rucker, Franklin, Spieker and Luellen.....if Temple is denied a 5th year then they will be down some serious weapons......the Defense will miss Pig and Williams and this is a defense that was pushed around by teams at times last year....but it is still a very good unit......

I for one expect Nebraska to win 3 outta four with KU, MU, CU, and VT all coming to Lincoln.......The Huskers have as much or more talent then any of these four schools....the Huskers just need to get togehter on the field..............Ganz showed that the offense is clearly loaded and Lucky appears to be returning.....Pelini can coach...and I don't expect the kids to quit or play as soft as they did last year....bottom line....the Huskers have out recruited CU VT MU and KU over the last 3 years...and a decent push this year will put them in the mix this year....that means that there is talent....and talent wins

While Rucker and Franklin are very serious weapons and will be missed, losing them actually doesn't bother me awhole lot. In many ways, Coffman is a more talented receiving Tight End than Rucker and he will see much more playing time next year with Rucker gone. Franklin is good, but with Maclin, Denario Alexander, Tommy Saunders, ect, we will still have a strong receiving corp. While Temple had one hell of a game in the Cotton Bowl, he did not have that great of a season. Jimmy Jackson played well this year and I think Derrick Washinton will end up being better than Temple. I do worry about loosing Spieker and Luellen. They were really unsung heros this year in my opinion.

As for the Defense, we played half of the season without Pig this year and did quite well. Lorenzo Williams is a loss, but I think getting back the rest of our startes the experience they have almost makes up for losing Williams.

I have no problem with you guys winning 3 of those 4 games as long as the one you drop is against Mizzou!

The fact that the games are at home is huge. MU and KU have never done will in Memorial Stadium. No player on either team has ever won there. The defense wont be giving teams TDs on every drive next seasons either. Daniel said after the NU game, that it was like playing against a high school defense, it wont be like that next year.

Can the Huskers win both games? Yes. Will they? I hope so.

I'm looking forward to coming to Lincoln for our game next year. Going to a game in Lincoln is always special. I am curious if you guys think Pelini will have you improved enough next year to compete with MU and KU?

This year showed that any team can win on Saturday (or Thursday if you're the Big East). I also expect to compete with every team.

Agreed.

I drink a lot. :wasted

Can we? yes. Will we? probably not.. at least not both of them.

Kansas had a great year this year, everything seemingly went right for them 99.9% of the time and they had a horrible schedule. This year though they will still be good, they can't possibly expect the same production out of the guys they got this year.

The thing that gives me optimism in this game is that we were able to put lots of points on KU last year but we had a defense that gave up 70, this D won't give up nearly that much again and I haven't seen anything from KU that makes me think we won't be able to score on them again.

Missouri is a different game, talent wise they are far and away better than KU, however we seem to be swapping wins and losses based on home field.. and we are home this year. Also they lose half of their TE combo that we couldn't stop last year, are still a mediocre to decent defense and still have Gary Pinkel for a head coach... this one will be a tough game but if we get lucky enough times and play really well defensively we could pull it off... but I don't think we will.

I'd put the possibility of a W against KU at 50% but against MU at 15% for this year.

Can we? yes. Will we? probably not.. at least not both of them.

Kansas had a great year this year, everything seemingly went right for them 99.9% of the time and they had a horrible schedule. This year though they will still be good, they can't possibly expect the same production out of the guys they got this year.

The thing that gives me optimism in this game is that we were able to put lots of points on KU last year but we had a defense that gave up 70, this D won't give up nearly that much again and I haven't seen anything from KU that makes me think we won't be able to score on them again.

Missouri is a different game, talent wise they are far and away better than KU, however we seem to be swapping wins and losses based on home field.. and we are home this year. Also they lose half of their TE combo that we couldn't stop last year, are still a mediocre to decent defense and still have Gary Pinkel for a head coach... this one will be a tough game but if we get lucky enough times and play really well defensively we could pull it off... but I don't think we will.

I'd put the possibility of a W against KU at 50% but against MU at 15% for this year.

Agree with most of that. MU's defense has been underrated all year because early in the season we were young and not playing well. We actually finished at or near the top of the Big 12 in most defensive stats. We return 10 of 11 starters next year who will all be more experienced and I don't see us having the bad defensive games that we had early this year.

Your defense will certainly be tougher next year and playing in Lincoln will be a definate advantage as well. I'll take your odds though, and I hope you kick some Kansas A$$ next year.

While Rucker and Franklin are very serious weapons and will be missed, losing them actually doesn't bother me awhole lot. In many ways, Coffman is a more talented receiving Tight End than Rucker and he will see much more playing time next year with Rucker gone. Franklin is good, but with Maclin, Denario Alexander, Tommy Saunders, ect, we will still have a strong receiving corp. While Temple had one hell of a game in the Cotton Bowl, he did not have that great of a season. Jimmy Jackson played well this year and I think Derrick Washinton will end up being better than Temple. I do worry about loosing Spieker and Luellen. They were really unsung heros this year in my opinion.

As for the Defense, we played half of the season without Pig this year and did quite well. Lorenzo Williams is a loss, but I think getting back the rest of our startes the experience they have almost makes up for losing Williams.

I have no problem with you guys winning 3 of those 4 games as long as the one you drop is against Mizzou!

Coffman is very good....but without Rucker to take the heat off of him I look for his numbers to slip...as for Temple, well he was huge for the Tigers this year, he will be missed....and I not sold on MU back-up rb's.....they have decent talent....but I was surprised by a healthy Temple.....Pig was missed in both losses....With NU goin to run\pass QB like Ganz, the loss of Pig will be huge....but I do like the overall talent on defense, so I won't predict a huge drop-off......The Tigers are not goin to stop NU's offense with Lee or Ganz next year and the Huskers will have their hands full with Maclin and Daniel.......but home field and a decent coach may go along way to keeping Nebraska in this one.

Coffman is very good....but without Rucker to take the heat off of him I look for his numbers to slip...as for Temple, well he was huge for the Tigers this year, he will be missed....and I not sold on MU back-up rb's.....they have decent talent....but I was surprised by a healthy Temple.....Pig was missed in both losses....With NU goin to run\pass QB like Ganz, the loss of Pig will be huge....but I do like the overall talent on defense, so I won't predict a huge drop-off......The Tigers are not goin to stop NU's offense with Lee or Ganz next year and the Huskers will have their hands full with Maclin and Daniel.......but home field and a decent coach may go along way to keeping Nebraska in this one.

I think the difference between Coffman and Rucker is that Rucker is a better receiver. He makes some amazing catches, but Rucker is a completely tank after he has the ball and ends up dragging several defenders several yards before he is brought down. The types of plays we run with Rucker as opposed to Coffman are different. Rucker will be missd.

I have never been a big Temple fan. I was fairly critical of him all season, so had to eat some of my words happily during the Cotton Bowl. We have gotten fairly used to playing without him with all of the injuries he has had. I think Jimmy Jackson actually averaged more yards per game than Temple, which is of course partly because Temple had far more carries, but I really like Jackson and often times in a short goal line situation, he got the nod over Temple because he was better and hammering it into the endzone. Washington got valuable playing time as a true Freshman and I look for him to open up a RB passing game that we really didn't have with Temple.

Pig is a loss, but once again, it doesn't worry me all that much since Willy Moore stepped it up and we played half of the season without Pig.

I have no doubt Nebraska will be in this game next year, but even if Mizzou loses, it will be nice to actually be in the game as opposed to our history of performances in Lincoln.

New head coach, most of the staff changed, coaches haven't even designed an offense. They haven't played a down or even snapped in practice yet.

MU and KU are top ten teams.

If I had to guess this early, I'd predict that the mighty huskers might be competitive in all their games.

Beating MU and KU... right now, I'd have to say no. Not likely, ain't gonna happen.

6-6 or so next year, with some luck, 7-5.

but opinions vary.

GO BO!!

Clone:

You are right on the money and one of the few realistic and objective posters here.

NU might compete with both of them somewhat. But predicted victory belongs to MU and KU (and to Oklahoma, VTech, Colorado).

HuskerTrucker:.... I am in the same boat......but, if I ever win the lottery, we will ALL meet before EVERY HOME game and have the biggest, baddest tailgate parties ever......for every home game, until I'm dead.... Every member is welcome............

but until then, I will just keep pickin' numbers and attending my regular tailgate (which is nice too).....but not like it will be !!!!!!!!!!

Go Big Red..........Go Bo !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PS - I love your youtube atttached to you sig.... I watch it a lot....... it absolutely pumps me up like no other....should show every D recruit that video...and I know what my original post said about being "realistic", but after watching that video, you friggin right.....we will kick both of their a$$es next yr...

:bonez:steam:steam:bonez

Total agreement. I will join with you HANC a lottery win for me is a lottery win for all of Husker Family. Now we've got two shots a week. Sounds like this is a bandwagon every Husker fan should get on. My personal Husker Crew will be at every game next year. Stop by our tailgate and we'll knock back a cold one and share some stories.

>>>T_O_B

:bonez:cheers:cheers:bonez

I've tried the positive thinking approach to preseason and found it lacking.

High expectations can lead to bitter disappointment.

These days, I always try to think "realistically" in january.

That way if things go well, I'm pleasantly surprised. If it goes to hell, I'm mentally prepared.

GO BO!!

Welcome to being a Mizzou fan. High expectations followed by bitter disappointment. I am always waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Agreed.

I drink a lot. :wasted

:cheers:wasted:cheers:wasted:cheers

We are brothers and obviously drink together in different bars. 39 years ago the company that I worked for exiled me from Omaha to Sioux Falls, SD. Nice city but its one real redeeming asset are all the Husker fans who live here.

GBR

>>>T_O_B

:wasted:cheers:wasted:cheers:wasted