Can NE beat MU and/or KU next year?

TrumanBD

New head coach, most of the staff changed, coaches haven't even designed an offense. They haven't played a down or even snapped in practice yet.

MU and KU are top ten teams.

If I had to guess this early, I'd predict that the mighty huskers might be competitive in all their games.

Beating MU and KU... right now, I'd have to say no. Not likely, ain't gonna happen.

6-6 or so next year, with some luck, 7-5.

but opinions vary.

GO BO!!

New head coach, most of the staff changed, coaches haven't even designed an offense. They haven't played a down or even snapped in practice yet.

If I had to guess this early, I'd predict that the mighty huskers might be competitive in all their games.

Beating MU and KU... right now, I'd have to say no. Not likely, ain't gonna happen.

but opinions vary.

GO BO!!

:bang think positive....not negative....13-0 with a National Championship...just ask Bo.

Next year is a whole different season. NU played very poorly and will probably be better, while KU and MU played extremely well and will have a hard time maintaining that. Without the benefit of seeing these teams play their OOC schedules, I'd say NU has a decent chance of upsetting one of them. But both MU and KU are favorites over NU at this point, and rightfully so.

This will be a much more meaningful discussion by the end of September.

but opinions vary.

GO BO!!

If the game was in Columbia I would feel a lot more confidant, but since it is in Lincoln it still scares me a little.

HuskerTrucker: I agree with you..........but, THINKING positive from FANS doesn't change REALITY. Hell, no one wants this team to go 13-0 more than I do (and most on this board), but reality says.... Bowl eligible would be great.....Now, 3 years from now, are expectations should be much, much higher.......

Yes, you must set the bar HIGH in order to achieve great things......this is for the players and coaches....... OUR opinions meant 100% absolutely zero..... Hell, I go to bed every night, thinking Positive about the lottery, but hasn't happened...... I will cheer for the Big Red like every game is the NC, but unless fans keep things in PERSPECTIVE, Bo will face the same backlash as the last staff if fans feel "disappointed"....... must face reality...... anywhere between 6-6 and 8 - 4...........JMHO...

and to answer the question on KU/MU......... deck is stacked against us.........MU returne 10 starters on D, that held us in check...and we lose people on Offense, especially in Lucky leaves............ KU has a ton of talent and confidence that they can go on the road and beat a top 4 team (VT).............. Best case, we win one of the two.....just don't know which one, but I think we will upset one of them and SPLIT.

I'm looking forward to coming to Lincoln for our game next year. Going to a game in Lincoln is always special. I am curious if you guys think Pelini will have you improved enough next year to compete with MU and KU?

Interesting question. Did anyone think Stanford could beat USC this year? The college game has become more like the pros in terms of what injuries do to a team. In 1994, we had the depth to overcome losing Frazier. Most teams do not have this luxury anymore because of more scholarship limitations. If Daniels would have gone down to injury this year, Mizzou more than likely would have potentially lost an additional game or two because of it. If KU and MU are at their best when we play them, I would lean towards no we probably won't win. However, there's a lot of things that can change with an injury or two and things of this nature. If Bo has our D playing really well and we can slow/stop the spread attack much like OU did to MU this year in the Big 12 Championship game, I give us a good shot. If we learned anything in 2007, it was that just one injury or two can nearly kill a team. I think we've known all along that turnovers kill. You give us a turnover or two, I think we can beat everyone on our schedule as long as we're not putting the ball on the carpet as well.

I'm looking forward to coming to Lincoln for our game next year. Going to a game in Lincoln is always special. I am curious if you guys think Pelini will have you improved enough next year to compete with MU and KU?

Interesting question. Did anyone think Stanford could beat USC this year? The college game has become more like the pros in terms of what injuries do to a team. In 1994, we had the depth to overcome losing Frazier. Most teams do not have this luxury anymore because of more scholarship limitations. If Daniels would have gone down to injury this year, Mizzou more than likely would have potentially lost an additional game or two because of it. If KU and MU are at their best when we play them, I would lean towards no we probably won't win. However, there's a lot of things that can change with an injury or two and things of this nature. If Bo has our D playing really well and we can slow/stop the spread attack much like OU did to MU this year in the Big 12 Championship game, I give us a good shot. If we learned anything in 2007, it was that just one injury or two can nearly kill a team. I think we've known all along that turnovers kill. You give us a turnover or two, I think we can beat everyone on our schedule as long as we're not putting the ball on the carpet as well.

I agree with most of what you said. We likely would have lost an exta game or two if Daniel had gone down, actually our backup QB was more highly recruited than Daniel was, so he is better than many might expect. No doubt Daniel is good, but we have so many stud receivers that make him look good, that I optimistically hope that Chase #2 could step in if he had to, but no, we don't have the depth NU had in 1994.

I've tried the positive thinking approach to preseason and found it lacking.

High expectations can lead to bitter disappointment.

These days, I always try to think "realistically" in january.

That way if things go well, I'm pleasantly surprised. If it goes to hell, I'm mentally prepared.

Methods of coping with the downtime of the off season vary.

Once the season begins, I will concede no game.

But for now, I'll wear my "realistic" hat and predict a 6-6 season. The B12 has four top ten teams, the north has two of them. Make no mistake about it, next season will be challenging for a new HC and staff and a team that went 5-7 last season. Even eight home games may not be enough to get eight wins. But if it happens-- I'll be pleasantly surprised. :)

As always- opinions vary.

GO BO!!

Next year is a whole different season. NU played very poorly and will probably be better, while KU and MU played extremely well and will have a hard time maintaining that. Without the benefit of seeing these teams play their OOC schedules, I'd say NU has a decent chance of upsetting one of them. But both MU and KU are favorites over NU at this point, and rightfully so.

This will be a much more meaningful discussion by the end of September.

Do you think MU or KU has a better chance of maintaining their success next year and for the future in general?

HuskerTrucker: I agree with you..........but, THINKING positive from FANS doesn't change REALITY. Hell, no one wants this team to go 13-0 more than I do (and most on this board), but reality says.... Bowl eligible would be great.....Now, 3 years from now, are expectations should be much, much higher.......

Yes, you must set the bar HIGH in order to achieve great things......this is for the players and coaches....... OUR opinions meant 100% absolutely zero..... Hell, I go to bed every night, thinking Positive about the lottery, but hasn't happened...... I will cheer for the Big Red like every game is the NC, but unless fans keep things in PERSPECTIVE, Bo will face the same backlash as the last staff if fans feel "disappointed"....... must face reality...... anywhere between 6-6 and 8 - 4...........JMHO...

and to answer the question on KU/MU......... deck is stacked against us.........MU returne 10 starters on D, that held us in check...and we lose people on Offense, especially in Lucky leaves............ KU has a ton of talent and confidence that they can go on the road and beat a top 4 team (VT).............. Best case, we win one of the two.....just don't know which one, but I think we will upset one of them and SPLIT.

I got that lottery thing covered too...do me a favor, don't win on the same night I do, I can't afford to split with anyone.... :hellloooo

HuskerTrucker:.... I am in the same boat......but, if I ever win the lottery, we will ALL meet before EVERY HOME game and have the biggest, baddest tailgate parties ever......for every home game, until I'm dead.... Every member is welcome............

but until then, I will just keep pickin' numbers and attending my regular tailgate (which is nice too).....but not like it will be !!!!!!!!!!

Go Big Red..........Go Bo !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PS - I love your youtube atttached to you sig.... I watch it a lot....... it absolutely pumps me up like no other....should show every D recruit that video...and I know what my original post said about being "realistic", but after watching that video, you friggin right.....we will kick both of their a$$es next yr...