Help out a visiting HOKIE!?!?

Greetings Huskers,

I will make the trip from Virginia next season along with my wife and four friends. We wouldn't miss this for the world. Last time we played the Huskers it was your National Championship era. Great game in the Orange Bowl following the 1996 season through 3 quarters until your depth and our lack of it caught up with us.

We'll be staying for 2 or 3 nights in Lincoln and want to see and do it all...campus, gameday traditions, local attractions and watering holes :wasted . How about some help with these things, especially lodging. What are some of the convenient, nice hotels in the area? I figure that we need to jump on this now. The rest of the the plan can wait til later.

I hope that your program gets squared away with Bo Pelini. He should probably have a solid framework of a gameplan against the Hokies already in place after the thrashing we took in Baton Rouge last season. Good luck to you. Thanks for any responses.

:cheers

Have fun in Lincoln. The link on the last post is good but getting a little dated. We have a few Holiday Inn Express'. The Embassy suites has the best location of any hotel, if you have the cash and there are rooms open that would be your absolute best choice (with free brakfast). I would advise you to book hotel ASAP, as thousands of Huskers fill up many of the rooms. If you can I would stay in South Lincoln. (highway 2 is also cornhusker hwy) We have all of the chain joints to eat but as the link says Lazlo's is a staple (although fading IMHO) Venue is new and semi upsacle. Watering hole is a true dive but has the best wings you will ever taste (get the grilled ones). Friday is "O" st time, most people will just give you a gentle pre game ribbing. Dont know what time your bars close but we are done at 1. Bar time downtown car run anywhere from 15 to 30 minutes so go out early. Watch the cops lining the street after the bars, my advise would be head back early to your part of the city if you intend to stay out untill close. Hopefully it will be a night game as the tailgates will be awesome. Also check out Embassy suites, both inside and out. The trophey room will be open a few hours before the game. For the most part it is very easy to get around if you have a car you can get anywhere in 30 min. Game day of course is different, if you do stay downtown you will have a leg up as you can use there parking. If you are in south Lincoln after the game Grada is quickly becoming a last drink HQ (no food there). For a "small" city there is a ton of stuff to do.... I am sure the other people here wil help you out also. Dont know your age group, or how much you want to spend, send me a private message and I can give you some more tailored information. Forgot the downtown Holiday Inn on 9th street, one block away from the Embassy, right on the hay market, great for gameday location. Just been updated, stayed for a friends wedding a couple of moths ago and was very nice (at least what I could remember)

If you have the cash to be coming for a hokie game in Nebraska, chances are you have the cash to stay at the "Cornhusker Inn" which is the highest quality hotel in Lincoln. Depending on your age O' Street may or not be your thing as most everyone down there is below the mid 30s' or lower. The Haymarket district which is very close to the Cornhusker but not O' Street has a different feel than O Street, you can go to the local brewery or you can go to Craw Daddies, which brings more of a "LSU" feeling to the life with GREAT food from the south. Either way book early as most of Husker Nation is looking forward toward our first real test of the Bo Pelini Era, we have the talent now after Callahan but our coaching was obviously suspect. I hope for a great game and I for one will be there although I live two hours away and am not a season ticket holder; I don't care if I have to pay over 400 a seat, I will be there and I will be no farther than 24 rows from the sideline.

If you have the cash to be coming for a hokie game in Nebraska, chances are you have the cash to stay at the "Cornhusker Inn" which is the highest quality hotel in Lincoln. Depending on your age O' Street may or not be your thing as most everyone down there is below the mid 30s' or lower. The Haymarket district which is very close to the Cornhusker but not O' Street has a different feel than O Street, you can go to the local brewery or you can go to Craw Daddies, which brings more of a "LSU" feeling to the life with GREAT food from the south. Either way book early as most of Husker Nation is looking forward toward our first real test of the Bo Pelini Era, we have the talent now after Callahan but our coaching was obviously suspect. I hope for a great game and I for one will be there although I live two hours away and am not a season ticket holder; I don't care if I have to pay over 400 a seat, I will be there and I will be no farther than 24 rows from the sideline.

although prices will be high, i dont think it'll hit 400.. a week out from the USC game, student tickets were around 250 - 300.. before validation, so add another 49 onto that for final price for non-students

hopefully :)

and hopefully people don't have a reason to sell for cheap by then...

I would suggest booking your hotel NOW and staying at either the Embassy Suites (1-402-474-1111), The Cornhusker (toll-free 1-866-706-7706). If those two are booked you can try the downtown Holiday Inn (1-402-475-4011), which is OK, not “nice,” and extremely conveniently located.

If these are booked you’re going to have to be willing to drive. Lincoln is an odd town in that there are no hotels in the south, but no shopping or restaurants in the north. The better second-tier hotels are:

Fairfield Inn (402-476-6000)

Country Inn & Suites (402-476-5353)

Best Western Crown Inn (402-438-4700)

These are all along the north 27th Street corridor, and you can take a (free) shuttle bus to the game from nearby stores.

For restaurants you’re going to want to go to Lazlo’s, which is blocks away from the stadium in the Haymarket district. It’s the best pub food you’ll have, and they have an excellent microbrewery (assuming you like beer), and a decent wine list if you’re a wine drinker. I eat at Lazlo’s any time the family lets me, and I don’t think they’ve gone downhill at all (but of course opinions vary).

There’s a decent Italian joint called Vincenzo’s, also in the Haymarket. It’s a local restaurant, not a chain, and has pretty good food.

Misty’s is another local restaurant, a steakhouse with a microbrewery in their downtown restaurant, but I just went there last weekend and had the worst meal I’ve had lately, and our waitress was extremely rude. The whole place just seemed shabby.

Just keep posting here if you want more options.

One more thing – feel free to wear your Hokies gear around town. We’re cool with that, and you won’t get harassed for the most part, even if you beat us. There are idiots everywhere, but we generally have fewer than most.

I would suggest booking your hotel NOW and staying at either the Embassy Suites (1-402-474-1111), The Cornhusker (toll-free 1-866-706-7706). If those two are booked you can try the downtown Holiday Inn (1-402-475-4011), which is OK, not “nice,” and extremely conveniently located.

If these are booked you’re going to have to be willing to drive. Lincoln is an odd town in that there are no hotels in the south, but no shopping or restaurants in the north. The better second-tier hotels are:

Fairfield Inn (402-476-6000)

Country Inn & Suites (402-476-5353)

Best Western Crown Inn (402-438-4700)

These are all along the north 27th Street corridor, and you can take a (free) shuttle bus to the game from nearby stores.

For restaurants you’re going to want to go to Lazlo’s, which is blocks away from the stadium in the Haymarket district. It’s the best pub food you’ll have, and they have an excellent microbrewery (assuming you like beer), and a decent wine list if you’re a wine drinker. I eat at Lazlo’s any time the family lets me, and I don’t think they’ve gone downhill at all (but of course opinions vary).

There’s a decent Italian joint called Vincenzo’s, also in the Haymarket. It’s a local restaurant, not a chain, and has pretty good food.

Misty’s is another local restaurant, a steakhouse with a microbrewery in their downtown restaurant, but I just went there last weekend and had the worst meal I’ve had lately, and our waitress was extremely rude. The whole place just seemed shabby.

Just keep posting here if you want more options.

One more thing – feel free to wear your Hokies gear around town. We’re cool with that, and you won’t get harassed for the most part, even if you beat us. There are idiots everywhere, but we generally have fewer than most.

There are a few hotels in south Lincoln. There is a holiday inn express on 90th and Hwy 2, and a hamptom inn by the south Lazlos (Old Cheny & Hwy 2.), both with in the last 2 or 3 years, then there is a Ramda Inn (although that may have changed will look into it) on S 10th, that place is old and I dont know of anyone who has stayed there. There is Candlewood Suites, this place has only been open for a couple of months maybe a year so some of the out of towners may not know about it. (402) 420-0330. This is also in south Lincoln, there is a nice place called Venue right by it.

Lazlo's is still a quality place, I just think they have stood still while better choices have come along in the last few years. Knappic is right about Misty's ever since they sold it has been a long slow drop in quality and service there. Vincenzos in the Haymarket is good. I havent been there in a while but a place called The Steakhouse on North 33rd and Cornhusker is (was) good, with good prices, and the other extreme is The Lodge at Wilderness Ridge, a very unique place. Feels like an old hunt lodge in Montana or something, it is worth a look.