Football Notes: Five ex-Huskers to attend Combine

link

Offensive tackle Carl Nicks leads a list of five former Nebraska players headed for the NFL Combine, according to Gil Brandt of NFL.com.

Joining Nicks in Indianapolis will be cornerback Zack Bowman, quarterback Sam Keller, receiver Maurice Purify and linebacker Steve Octavien. The combine runs Feb. 20 through Feb. 26.

Nicks is projected as a potential second- or third-round pick for the NFL draft in April. The 6-foot-5, 343-pounder most recently was at the Senior Bowl last week in Mobile, Ala.

"Nicks is a good player," Brandt said, "and he looked good."

Keller, returning from a broken collarbone, played in the East-West Shrine Game on Jan. 19. Mike Keller said his son is working out at Competitive Edge Sports in Atlanta, and has been joined by his quarterbacks coach, California-based Roger Theder.

Ruud training in Arizona

Without invitations to an all-star game or the NFL Combine, former NU linebacker Bo Ruud is spending January and February at the Athletes' Performance Institute in Tempe, Ariz. Older brother Barrett Ruud trained at API before the 2005 NFL draft.

"I knew this was one of the top two or three places I could go," Bo Ruud said Thursday. "It's definitely top of the line. It's pretty incredible that you already see some pretty drastic changes in your body and how you feel. It's really starting to make a difference."

Ruud is pointing toward pro day at Nebraska in March, where one priority will be a good 40-yard dash time. Ruud hopes to then start working out individually for some teams.

"All you really want is to have as many teams as you can like you or give you a look," Ruud said.

"I knew this was one of the top two or three places I could go," Bo Ruud said Thursday. "It's definitely top of the line. It's pretty incredible that you already see some pretty drastic changes in your body and how you feel. It's really starting to make a difference."

Gee Bo...amazing what happens when you actually put out some effort huh?

• 3 weeks later...

Gee Bo...amazing what happens when you actually put out some effort huh?

Must run in the family. Barrett dropped his 40 time by .2 by working out harder and cutting back on the beer.

I think this is what we'll see...

Nicks top 3rd/bot 2nd

Bowman mid to bot 4th

Purify bot 4th

Octavien 5th

Ruud 6th

Keller 6th

Grixby will probably sign on as a FA.

Maybe I'm being optimistic =P That's more people drafted than last year, which is somewhat unlikely. Keller and Ruud may not be drafted at all. But I think someone's gotta take a shot at Keller in the late rounds.