fast attacking defense...

I really hope Bo goes more towards a fast attacking style of defense like in the mid 90's. we need speed at the LB positions and at the DE positions. ..if that means players changing position so be it..we have no speed at DE except maybe BT , other than that i don't know...they're all too big and slow...i want a smaller and faster DE and just turn them loose rather than having them play containment...the other thing is our starting LBs from last year had no closing speed whatsoever... if we don't have speed there, move so players up from the secondary, i think Larry Asante would add much need speed at the LB position.. move 'em over..he's 6'1.. 210lb ..plenty big... if i remember right Terrell Farley played at 6'1 ...205lb and Jamel Williams at 6'2 ..205....Demorrio William AT 6'1 ..205lb ....Ed Stewart at 6'1..210lb or so..Eric Johnson at 6'1.. 205lb..Tony Ortiz at 6'0 215lb....most of these guys played LB when Charlie Mcbride was the DC and the one thing they have in common is they can all run w/great closing speed..if anything more and more teams are going to the spread offense w/speed...you have to be able to play in open space and if you don't have speed , forget it!!...alot of teams from the SEC , if you look at their LBs they're not that big but they can all run...can't tackle 'em if you can't catch 'em..i think we have a few DBs that we could turn into a LB..this would give us speed at the LB position.

Basically what you are saying is our defense needs to have a SEC look instead of a Big 10 look. I agree with that wholeheartedly. I would rather have smaller guys who are faster than big guys who are slower than dirt. I think we'll see the defense mature and change over the next couple of years and before we know our guys will be the defense that we remember it to be. :thumbs

Basically what you are saying is our defense needs to have a SEC look instead of a Big 10 look. I agree with that wholeheartedly.

speed kills. coach osborne proved that with his option attacks and the SEC proves that almost every year.

The so-called SEC look is not just speed anymore....it is power also. Power USED to be the hallmark of the Big XII, now days they don't over-power anyone like they used to. We have been behind the curve on the speed issue for over a decade. The SEC has always been faster than any Big XII team. We used to be able to go in and just over-power their line and get to their QB...that isn't happening so much now.

you not only have to have fast players on defense but as a coach you have to put them in a position to succeed....I don't think it wouldn't have matter if Kevin Cosgrove was given Charlie Mcbride's players, he'would still f*ck up....if you have a fast athlethlic defense you gotta let them play, just turn them loose and take advantage of their athlethlicism....look at how Bo used Demorrio williams when he was here,the guy was more than a hand full for any OT to block on passing situation...i know maybe we don't have the kind of players w/that speed or athlethlicism at the LB position at the moment but the coaches might wanna think about moving some folks up from the secondary..someone like Larry Asante would be perfect..i think he played LB in college anyway

I want a defense that has ...

...a D-line that can't get off blocks if it's life depended on it

...LB's who seem afraid to tackle and run toward opposing teams blockers instead of to the ball-carriers

...DB's who keep their eyes glued on the opposing WR's catching a ball in front of them instead of turning

around and intercepting the ball themselves

...a Defensive coaching staff that concedes that other teams are going to score before games even start

...a team with no heart and lackadaisical attitudes with no passion and "gumption"

...a Defensive coaching staff that wouldn't know how to adjust a gameplan during a game if it wasn't

working...no matter how bad things get in the 1st half

Oh wait..we had that last year, didn't we?

Nevermind then.

Maybe I'll hope for the complete opposite of all those things.

i'm so sick and tire of watching our linebackers coming on a blitz only to run into the back of our DT..i think alot of has to do w/what GENIUS COZ was asking them (DT)to do ..that is to hold their ground ...I realize on certain plays u do have to hold your ground, but if you know you're gonna blitz down the middle you have to ask your DT to create a gap for the LB to shoot thru...too many times they're just getting in each other's way it seems

i think it's funny that you're talking about sending safety's to be OLB's, and last year, whenever we sent blitzes, the one's that actually worked were the safety blitzes. some sort of indication of what kind of defense you should be running?

91 Washington, NU 93-1999 were the defenses that I loved to see!

i think it's funny that you're talking about sending safety's to be OLB's, and last year, whenever we sent blitzes, the one's that actually worked were the safety blitzes. some sort of indication of what kind of defense you should be running?

91 Washington, NU 93-1999 were the defenses that I loved to see!

good point on that 91 Washington defense...they were loaded w/speed and aggressive as hell..