Memorable Missed Recruits

One story I heard was thst Sayers had NOT made up his mind where to go.

Jennings heard that Sayers had committed to KU and told Sayers, "I hope you enjoy it at Kansas!". Sayers said that was when he made up his mind to go to Kansas.

this would confirm the stories about jennings being an absolute tool if true.

That he was. There was a nasty little rumor going on about him, had to do with a game against Okl St. Heard a bunch of grown ups talking about it. Can't say what it was since I have no facts to back it up. Maybe some of you long time Husker fans might know what I'm talking about.

GBR!!!

One story I heard was thst Sayers had NOT made up his mind where to go.

Jennings heard that Sayers had committed to KU and told Sayers, "I hope you enjoy it at Kansas!". Sayers said that was when he made up his mind to go to Kansas.

this would confirm the stories about jennings being an absolute tool if true.

It would seem that Jennings and Callahan were very similar. At least Jennings had some big wins under his tenure.

Here's a new one: Joseph Townsend just signed with UNC.

Odell James to BAYLOR! Kid won state as a junior at Aldine Mac, and then goes to Baylor and is never heard of. This is like Robert Strait going to Baylor and the same thing happens to him. He was perfect for NU football.

James was VY before there was a VY, and he went to BAYLOR over NU! 6'4" or 5 and 215 or so and 4.5 speed. He was a prototype NU QB for the mid 90s, could have stepped in after Frazier/Frost. Much bigger guy than Crouch or Newcombe. Higher rated QB recruit also. Attended Baylor 1997-2000. http://baylorbears.cstv.com/sports/m-footb...es_odell00.html

Now in Baylor AD office.

The biggest miss I think in the history of Nebraska football, was not offering Gale Sayers a Scholarship and asking him to walk on. Even the Great Bob D. made mistakes.

GBR!!!

That is no joke. Arguably, the 2 best players to ever come out of Omaha, went to other schools(Nile Kinnick and Gale Sayers).

Bob Devaney wasn't the head coach when Gale Sayers was recruited; a guy named Bill Petersen was, if I remember correctly; and he did offer a scholarship to Gale Sayers, and losing him to Kansas sealed his fate. At least, that what Gale Sayers said in his book, "I am Third." A classic.

How about this one for a missed recruit: Rucker. I really think the offense could have been much better with a dominating tight end during the Clownahan era. We had him lock stalk and barrell until Clownahan and Co. stopped contacting him allowing Stinkel to sneak in and steal him.

I agree that he would have been a difference maker. However, he was in the class of 2003, Frankie dropped the ball on that one.

Memorable missed recruits? Bah...if they didn't sign and come to Nebraska, who needed em anyway?

Once again, Cy tells it the way it is!

Truth be told....I was your most memorable missed recruit. With me playing for the Huskers you could have run the table for 4 straight years! Me an Fryer? Me and Gill? Me and Rozier? Forget about it! Teams would have run screaming the other way when they saw us coming onto the field. Yep...could have been 4 NC in a row....but nooooo....Nebraska had to waste all it's time recruiting that over-rated, no-talent OTHER kid...all they could offer me was a chance to walk on. Ha...walk on? Me? Forget it! Kiss your 4 NC's goodbye Nebraska... :angry:

I guess they did okay without me though didn't they.... <_<