An Iowa State Cyclone Update

Recruiting News

ISU has once again signed up an exciting recruiting class for the 2008 season. This year’s class includes:

Two players who didn’t play their senior year due to ACL tears

One player who lived in Holland and didn’t play football till his senior year

The 109th best player in Alberta, Canada

Two kickers….

A player recruited off his high school soccer team

And a host of other potentially mediocre athletes which are sure to keep the ISU football juggernaut rolling at half speed ahead!

Though not on the list of official recruits, there is a very exciting rumor going around that ISU is holding their final scholarship open for the nation’s #1 ranked long-snapper out of Kansas! Another coup for ISU! How could anyone not be exciting with signing the best long-snapper in the country???

Athletic Department News

According to a story in the DM Register, the ISU athletic department is broke…with no reserves available. According to most fans questioned, the ISU football team has been broke with no reserves available for the past 50 years so there is no need to become unduly alarmed.

Great Strategy…or just kind of stupid?

During a press conference yesterday, Gene Chizek had the following comment about the 2008 team:

“Not only do we have a good recruiting class…but we also have around 20 red-shirt freshmen from last year coming up. Last year we didn’t practice them…we sent them to the weight room every day during practice to bulk up and be ready for this year…these guys are a lot bigger and a lot more athletic than they were when they came to us last fall...”

Hmmm….canny strategy? After all…ISU is implementing new offensive and defensive schemes and were moving from the McCarney era to the Chizek era. Could this strategy possibly work or would it have been better to do as the wily NU HC did and throw the red shirts in for 5 plays during lost causes just to burn their year of eligibility in a blindingly ignorant display of “I’ll teach you guys to mess with me!”. Only time will tell…

Great Lines Overhead At the ISU/NU Basketball Game

ISU fans are great followers of their team, no matter how bad…and quite used to enduring insults regarding our obvious lack of athletic competitiveness. However, the NU fans at the latest ISU/NU basketball game win the “Sticking it to the ISU fans without being asses about it” award. During the first half of the game, when ISU was actually ahead by 5 points, the ISU fans started some yelling about how NU should give up on basketball and stick to football…to which the huge crowd of NU fans (all 60 of them…you guys really need to show the BB team a little more love…) started chanting “Let’s Play Baseball…Let’s Play Baseball!” Instant silence from the ISU contingent….Bravo!

Recruiting News

ISU has once again signed up an exciting recruiting class for the 2008 season. This year's class includes:

Two players who didn't play their senior year due to ACL tears

One player who lived in Holland and didn't play football till his senior year

The 109th best player in Alberta, Canada

Two kickers….

A player recruited off his high school soccer team

And a host of other potentially mediocre athletes which are sure to keep the ISU football juggernaut rolling at half speed ahead!

Though not on the list of official recruits, there is a very exciting rumor going around that ISU is holding their final scholarship open for the nation's #1 ranked long-snapper out of Kansas! Another coup for ISU! How could anyone not be exciting with signing the best long-snapper in the country???

Athletic Department News

According to a story in the DM Register, the ISU athletic department is broke…with no reserves available. According to most fans questioned, the ISU football team has been broke with no reserves available for the past 50 years so there is no need to become unduly alarmed.

Great Strategy…or just kind of stupid?

During a press conference yesterday, Gene Chizek had the following comment about the 2008 team:

"Not only do we have a good recruiting class…but we also have around 20 red-shirt freshmen from last year coming up. Last year we didn't practice them…we sent them to the weight room every day during practice to bulk up and be ready for this year…these guys are a lot bigger and a lot more athletic than they were when they came to us last fall..."

Hmmm….canny strategy? After all…ISU is implementing new offensive and defensive schemes and were moving from the McCarney era to the Chizek era. Could this strategy possibly work or would it have been better to do as the wily NU HC did and throw the red shirts in for 5 plays during lost causes just to burn their year of eligibility in a blindingly ignorant display of "I'll teach you guys to mess with me!". Only time will tell…

Great Lines Overhead At the ISU/NU Basketball Game

ISU fans are great followers of their team, no matter how bad…and quite used to enduring insults regarding our obvious lack of athletic competitiveness. However, the NU fans at the latest ISU/NU basketball game win the "Sticking it to the ISU fans without being asses about it" award. During the first half of the game, when ISU was actually ahead by 5 points, the ISU fans started some yelling about how NU should give up on basketball and stick to football…to which the huge crowd of NU fans (all 60 of them…you guys really need to show the BB team a little more love…) started chanting "Let's Play Baseball…Let's Play Baseball!" Instant silence from the ISU contingent….Bravo!

:rollin:rollin:rollin

Just wondering where the other 108 best players of Alberta Canada went? <_<

The redshirts never practiced?

Reminds me of the Iowa St recruiting class of (1980)(?) when they took that great tight end Cy CYclone from Nebraska. Causing T.O. to ask the question of who is that and why didn't he walk on here?

Reminds me of the Iowa St recruiting class of (1980)(?) when they took that great tight end Cy CYclone from Nebraska. Causing T.O. to ask the question of who is that and why didn't he walk on here?

Cy had no desire to spend another four years playing in the shadow of "THE GREAT" Todd Frain.... <_<

Cy had no desire to spend another four years playing in the shadow of "THE GREAT" Todd Frain.... <_<

I saw that his son Tanner is going to UNO. A bit strange he didn't walk on at Nebraska.

How long has ISU been without baseball? I played little league against someone who was on one of their last teams.

I saw that his son Tanner is going to UNO. A bit strange he didn't walk on at Nebraska.

How long has ISU been without baseball? I played little league against someone who was on one of their last teams.

Don't think Tanner has the size that Todd has. Good football player though...think he's a wrestler too but don't quote me on that.

ISU hasn't had baseball since those clowns at the NCAA instituted that Title 19 crap....rather than mess around with that nonsense and form some stupid women's basket weaving or macrame team so all things would be equal they just said "screw it...we'll just drop some "man" sport to make things even" and baseball got the axe.

I went to ISU from 97 - 2002, and lived a block south of their 'diamond.' It was about the equivalent of the diamond @ Woods park in Lincoln, truth be told. It wasn't even close to Buck Beltzer, much less Haymarket Park. Their last team had to have been in 99 or 2000 - I could hear the action from my house. I thought I had heard that part of their facilities expansion project (which is one of the reasons they were $10M in the red this past year) was a new baseball field, so...? They'll need a team to play on it though.

I went to ISU from 97 - 2002, and lived a block south of their 'diamond.' It was about the equivalent of the diamond @ Woods park in Lincoln, truth be told. It wasn't even close to Buck Beltzer, much less Haymarket Park. Their last team had to have been in 99 or 2000 - I could hear the action from my house. I thought I had heard that part of their facilities expansion project (which is one of the reasons they were $10M in the red this past year) was a new baseball field, so...? They'll need a team to play on it though.

They filmed the movie "The Sandlot" on location there.... <_<

Nice to hear that baseball might be coming back though. We need another sport we can be drubbed at by the rest of the conference! Summers can be so long and boring without some public humiliation to view.