DT Terrence Stephens

Yesterday, Stephens finally got accepted to go to Stanford academically so it looks like we are now out of it. Nebraska was his back up plan if he could not get into Stanford.

Wow thats lame. If we're just a freaking backup plan to Stanford I cant believe Bo Pelini even let this guy visit. **** Stanford

1. He is obviously a good kid, good player and good student. If you have a chance at him you take it.

2. He has been admitted, it doesn't mean he will sign his LOI there, you never give up an a kid like this.

3. If he ends up at Stanford he obviously has his priorities set on academics, which is good. Blah Blah Blah we have X amount of academic all-americans blah blah blah when is the last time you saw UNL high on any academic list other than academic all-americans?? Stanford is a great school, you can not fault the kid for wanting to get a GREAT education...

Good for him, if you wanted to focus on Academic where would you go? Nebraska or Stanford and both were free?

He has no affiliation to either team really, Good for him. He is obviously a smart student and has other plans out side of football. Stanford has been bringing some smart good football players the last few years and the program should start taking off.

I'm not upset about him being committed to Stanford, but if you're committed to a school you should stay committed. You shouldnt go using Nebraska to get a free visit if youve already committed to Stanford.

...except he didn't know if he was going to be accepted by Stanford at all.

You gotta have backup plans.

Well if I was the coach of Nebraska I would not tolerate being a freaking back-up plan to Stanford. **** Stanford

I guess that's why you do what you do instead of making $$$ coaching football. Stanford is one school I can't blame any kid for wanting to go to. The fact he had to make sure he would be accepted is totally understandable.

There's more to life than football, and this kid has that figured out before you do. More power to him.

I'm not upset about him being committed to Stanford, but if you're committed to a school you should stay committed. You shouldnt go using Nebraska to get a free visit if youve already committed to Stanford.

how in hell did he USE NU? i doubt a high schooler from maryland was just visiting nebraska in november of all months just for a free trip, to watch two unranked teams play no less

what if this visit he took to nebraska lead to his commit to nebraska, no matter what our status is/was with him you shouldn't ever tell a 4* that you don't want him in your program due to stanford(or any other school) being atop his favorite list

what if this visit he took to nebraska lead to his commit to nebraska, no matter what our status is/was with him you shouldn't ever tell a 4* that you don't want him in your program due to stanford(or any other school) being atop his favorite list

#1 Stanford wasn't 'atop' his favorite list, he was committed to Stanford. #2 I completely disagree with your logic, just b/c scouts or rivals gives someone 4 stars does not automatically mean that he is good enough to play at Nebraska

#1 Stanford wasn't 'atop' his favorite list, he was committed to Stanford. #2 I completely disagree with your logic, just b/c scouts or rivals gives someone 4 stars does not automatically mean that he is good enough to play at Nebraska

In response to #1. Untill LOI day, a "commit" means absolutely nothing

and what if he doesn't get into Stanford?

Dude, that's not an easy school to get into, even for Div-I sports prospects.

When you apply to colleges, do you just apply to one? Or do you apply to a bunch? If you don't get into A, you go to B, etc, etc. Does this really need to be explained for you? If your top choice is Stanford, you'd be a complete idiot to apply *just* to Stanford.

Div-1 athletics is messed up because kids have to give coaches commitments or their classes will fill up. That's just how the game works, and on top of that he has to get into the school, it's no given. He has to cover all his bases, for him. If he has no backup plan and doesn't get into Stanford, what's he gonna do? If he doesn't commit to Stanford and their class fills up, what's he gonna do if he really wanted to go there?

I don't see how you can possibly deride that as selfish or "using" Nebraska.

the fact that he hasn't signed his letter of intent means that standford is basically his #1 choice as of right now(plans and prior commitments can/do change for 18 yr olds). the fact that Pelini offered him a scolly to play at NU means he is good enough(at least in our head coach's eyes) to play at NU