Walk-Ons and the Scholarships they turned down

After looking at this class of walkons, and reading about the athletes that NU will be getting, I was pretty excited about them. Oh, and most of them are outstanding students also.

Here is a list of the ones that I know so far, I will add more info as time goes along, so feel free to add any information that you have read anywhere.

1. Zach Ruiz, 6-3/210/QB/ATH 4.8 40 (Beatrice)

All-Confrence, District, and State for Class B

3.92 GPA, 26 ACT

Turned Down scholarship offers from UNO and Colorado School of Mines

2. Taylor Dixon, 5-10/180/DB/4.53 40 (Wauneta-Palasades)

Career Numbers 4500 yds rushing, 2800 yds passing, 106 unassisted tackles, 332 Assisted tackles, 7 INT, and 76 non-throwing TD. All-State his Junion and Senior Years

3.75 GPA, 27 ACT

Turned down offers from UNK, Ft Hayes St, Doane, and Chadron St. Most impressive offer that he turned down was the RHOP program, where he would have all 4 years of school paid for and then automatically enter in to Dental School.

3. Jase Dean, 6-0/175/S/4.55 40 (Bridgeport)

833 yds rushing, 100 yds recieving, 320 passing, 11 TDs, 111 tackles, 4 INTs his senior year.

runs 100m, 200m, and 400m in track with a 10.8 100 personal best

3.77 GPA, 23 ACT

Had offers from UNO, Chadron St, and Wyoming wanted him to walk on

4. Jeremy Wallace, 6-1/225/LB/4.59 40 (Omaha Bryan)

1200 yds on 200 carries, 17 TD, 115 tackles

2nd team all Metro

no info on GPA or scholarship offers at this time

5. David Pillen, 5-11/230/FB/LB/Long Snapper 4.9 40(Sugarland Tx)

Son of former walk-on Clete Pillen (holds the NU record of most tackles in 1 game 30)

Nephew of Jim Pillen

3.2 GPA and 1600 SAT

Pill help me out here with your achievements

Kenny Anderson from Millard West is a solid player. I wouldn't say he was the best on the team but he was definetly one of the leaders. West should have made it to the State Championship if it wasn't for a missed extra point, Kenny was definetly a main part of the team. He is a hard worker and could be a good player at NU

This is pretty much everything anyone could ever know about me.

David Pillen

5'11" 230

40 - 4.9

Shuttle - 4.52

Bench - 290

Squat - 420

Clean - 255

1600 SAT - 3.2 GPA

Planning to attend Shane Hackney's snapping camps

April 5th--1-day spring tune-up in Dallas

July 12-13--Snapping SuperStars College Invitational in Chicago

July 19-20--Dallas

--------------------------------

Senior Stats - 1st team All-District & Academic All-District Honor Roll

Defensive (DE) - 50 Tackles - 2 Fumble Recoveries - 4 Forced Fumbles - 1 TD (30yd fumble return) - 3 Sacks - 10 QB Hurries

Fullback - 2 Carries - 10 yards

-----------------------------------------

Junior Stats - 20 times for 130 yards - 5 catches for 25 yards - Academic All-District Honor Roll

----------------------------

Sophomore - Blocked for the leading rusher in the houston area (over 1,600 yards)

3 carries - 15 yds - Academic All-District Honor Roll

Here are my videos (senior videos are only through about 3 or 4 games)

junior - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kT1XfcSUAJ8

senior - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xdrh0YHl9WE

senior - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uT9Lvn8Rjo

snapping camp w/ Shane Hackney - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KK92BzSpBWg

Extra Stuff about me

I'm the FCA President of the FCA Chapter @ my school - Junior & Senior

Also in a class called PALs (Peer Assistance Leadership) - Junior & Senior Years ... only about 20 people allowed in class

class video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFpO9BDQw08

I also made this video - 1995 Nebraska Football -

-----------------------------

Here is a letter of recommendation about myself -

To Whom It May Concern:

It is my pleasure to recommend David Pillen for the ---------- Scholarship. As his Peer Assistance and Leadership Teacher (PALs), football coach, and FCA sponsor I have come to know David very well. He is an extremely intelligent, passionate, and proactive young man with a very unique background; qualities that enable him to achieve success under even the most strenuous circumstances.

Academic achievement and potential are of concern to any scholarship committee. David has been a solid academic student, at one of the most demanding high schools in Fort Bend ISD by maintaining a 3.18 GPA during his high school career.

David has achieved his academic success while holding leadership positions in extracurricular activity he participates in. Currently he is the president of the Fellowship of Christian Athletes showing that he is not only a great student but a true leader. David has also participated in PALs and Football during his tenure here at AHS. David excels in every vocation he takes part in and will surely do the same at the university level.

The preceding accomplishments alone put David in a class that few students could be a part of, but what makes him a special individual is his willingness to give up his time for the good of others. Over the past four years David has volunteered more than four hundred hours of his own time to better his community and those who live in it. Whether it is teaching second graders the dangers of alcohol consumption, collecting trash or coordinating charity events, David never turns down an opportunity to help those in need. The reason that David has been so successful in so many areas of his life is because he always puts others first, a characteristic that would put him in a class by himself among people twice his age let alone his peers.

There is no doubt that David will be successful both academically and personally at the University of Nebraska next year and this scholarship would help him in achieving that end. If you have any questions, please call me at Austin High School, 281-634-2000.

Sincerely,

Richard O. Lazarou

Stephen F. Austin High School

-----------------------------------------------

If anyone has read the article from bigredreport.com, I had some interest from some small schools down here in Texas and UH as well as TCU ... no one offered me a scholarship because I pretty much told everyone I Was going to Nebraska. After I said that everyone pretty much stopped showing any type of interest.

And I can say that the only reason that I have this opportunity to do any of this that has been put before me ... is because of God!

As a Husker alumnus and fan, you are the type of kid that this program needs. I'm proud to see that the University of Nebraska has re-established the walk-on program to recruit players such as yourself. Work hard and enjoy your time at Nebraska.

If anyone has read the article from bigredreport.com, I had some interest from some small schools down here in Texas and UH as well as TCU ... no one offered me a scholarship because I pretty much told everyone I Was going to Nebraska. After I said that everyone pretty much stopped showing any type of interest.

And I can say that the only reason that I have this opportunity to do any of this that has been put before me ... is because of God!

and this is the bedrock that husker football is built upon. god love ya, buddy!

David Pillen

5'11" 230

40 - 4.9

Shuttle - 4.52

Bench - 290

Squat - 420

Clean - 255

1600 SAT - 3.2 GPA

July 19-20--Dallas

Defensive (DE) - 50 Tackles - 2 Fumble Recoveries - 4 Forced Fumbles - 1 TD (30yd fumble return) - 3 Sacks - 10 QB Hurries

Junior Stats - 20 times for 130 yards - 5 catches for 25 yards - Academic All-District Honor Roll

Sophomore - Blocked for the leading rusher in the houston area (over 1,600 yards)

Extra Stuff about me

Also in a class called PALs (Peer Assistance Leadership) - Junior & Senior Years ... only about 20 people allowed in class

To Whom It May Concern:

It is my pleasure to recommend David Pillen for the ---------- Scholarship. As his Peer Assistance and Leadership Teacher (PALs), football coach, and FCA sponsor I have come to know David very well. He is an extremely intelligent, passionate, and proactive young man with a very unique background; qualities that enable him to achieve success under even the most strenuous circumstances.

Academic achievement and potential are of concern to any scholarship committee. David has been a solid academic student, at one of the most demanding high schools in Fort Bend ISD by maintaining a 3.18 GPA during his high school career.

David has achieved his academic success while holding leadership positions in extracurricular activity he participates in. Currently he is the president of the Fellowship of Christian Athletes showing that he is not only a great student but a true leader. David has also participated in PALs and Football during his tenure here at AHS. David excels in every vocation he takes part in and will surely do the same at the university level.

The preceding accomplishments alone put David in a class that few students could be a part of, but what makes him a special individual is his willingness to give up his time for the good of others. Over the past four years David has volunteered more than four hundred hours of his own time to better his community and those who live in it. Whether it is teaching second graders the dangers of alcohol consumption, collecting trash or coordinating charity events, David never turns down an opportunity to help those in need. The reason that David has been so successful in so many areas of his life is because he always puts others first, a characteristic that would put him in a class by himself among people twice his age let alone his peers.

There is no doubt that David will be successful both academically and personally at the University of Nebraska next year and this scholarship would help him in achieving that end. If you have any questions, please call me at Austin High School, 281-634-2000.

Sincerely,

Richard O. Lazarou

capture that dream, enjoy your time at NU and GOOD LUCK

David Pillen

5'11" 230

40 - 4.9

Shuttle - 4.52

Bench - 290

Squat - 420

Clean - 255

1600 SAT - 3.2 GPA

July 19-20--Dallas

Extra Stuff about me

To Whom It May Concern:

Sincerely,

Richard O. Lazarou

capture that dream, enjoy your time at NU and GOOD LUCK

HELL YEA! Represent Texas Boys my friend!!!

and this is the bedrock that husker football is built upon. god love ya, buddy!

:yeah

David, I must say you are a very smart man on and off the field. Very few kids want to accept the role of a long snapper, because it isn't a flashy position What most of them do not realize is that single trait is probably the single easiest way to get into the NFL. Whether or not you succeed at another position, you should continue the work on that throughout college.

Think of it this way -- if you are a really good long snapper, on average you will get about 10-15 plays and commend a $1 million plus salary. Pretty nice, I must say. :)