Joe Ganz Interceptions

The only negative I keep hearing about him is that he has a tendency to throw a lot of int's well I would just like to ask people where they are getting this idea from. Keep in mind he had never started a game before those last 4 and that about 80% of the time the defenses knew we were going to pass and dropped extra people back to add to the coverage. All that being said he still managed a decent int/td ratio in my opinion.

NAME TD/INT INT/TD Ratio

Joe Ganz 16/7 44%

Chase Daniel 33/11 33%

Sam Bradford 36/8 22%

Colt Brennan 38/17 45%

Brian Brohm 30/12 40%

Todd Reesing 33/7 21%

Chose Kansas, Oklahoma, and Mizzou QB's as they are in our conference and are really great, and then just chose Brohm and Brennan from the top 15 in pass efficiency randomly last year. As you can see Ganz fit's in with them decently and these are all Heisman quality quarterbacks.

The only negative I keep hearing about him is that he has a tendency to throw a lot of int's well I would just like to ask people where they are getting this idea from. Keep in mind he had never started a game before those last 4 and that about 80% of the time the defenses knew we were going to pass and dropped extra people back to add to the coverage. All that being said he still managed a decent int/td ratio in my opinion.

NAME TD/INT INT/TD Ratio

Joe Ganz 16/7 44%

Chase Daniel 33/11 33%

Sam Bradford 36/8 22%

Colt Brennan 38/17 45%

Brian Brohm 30/12 40%

Todd Reesing 33/7 21%

Chose Kansas, Oklahoma, and Mizzou QB's as they are in our conference and are really great, and then just chose Brohm and Brennan from the top 15 in pass efficiency randomly last year. As you can see Ganz fit's in with them decently and these are all Heisman quality quarterbacks.

You're missing one key stat: INT's per game or better yet INT's per attempt. Don't just use TD-to-INT ratio cause like you said, we sat back and passed a lot.

Don't want to take anything away from Ganz cause I think he'll win out this fall and will do well. The offense seemed to rally around him and really started to take off.

With no more game experience than Ganz had, he did a great job. There is a lot to reading defenses that only experience can get you. I think if he is the one tapped to be the starter (need to pick who it will be early...right after the spring game) then he will get the work and attention needed to get up to par on different looks of defenses. I think he will be fine.

The thing that Ganz can give us is mobility, and if we use that mobility with something like an option, then that will open the receivers up more. Last year they sat back and knew that BC was out to prove that the west coast was the only offense that worked, come hell or high water. They knew we were passing, and sat back and waited on us. We also didn't have any kind of mobility when it came to Keller....he was a sitting duck, and there was no threat that he might take off on a regular basis. If he dropped back, they knew he had to pass.

When Ganz finally got his chance, BC would ride his butt if he took off, so there was the threat of losing his job if he winged it now and then. BC was not about to use Ganz's mobility in the offense because he had to prove that Nebraska could be a passing team. IMO mobility is what will make this offense even better. The O-line's play will improve vastly, not because they are doing anything that much different, but because they are not having to hold back to defensive line for so long and there won't be the pressure coming up the middle that there was, because they will have to respect the run, as well as the pass. And if we pass, Ganz may not be sitting in the pocket when they get there, he will be outside throwing the ball or taking off up the middle since they leave a big hole there.

NAME TD/INT INT/TD Ratio

Joe Ganz 16/7 44%

Chase Daniel 33/11 33%

Sam Bradford 36/8 22%

Colt Brennan 38/17 45%

Brian Brohm 30/12 40%

Todd Reesing 33/7 21%

You're missing one key stat: INT's per game or better yet INT's per attempt. Don't just use TD-to-INT ratio cause like you said, we sat back and passed a lot.

Don't want to take anything away from Ganz cause I think he'll win out this fall and will do well. The offense seemed to rally around him and really started to take off.

I agree that you need to look at the per game stats vs. his overall stats. The big flaw with his overall stats is that it was for only 4 games, hence only 7 INT's. If you take the stats average per game (4TD/1.75INT) and project it over a standard 12 game schedule he would have had a wopping 48TD's and 21 INT's. Yes the 44% rate compares favorably with Brohm and Brennan, but no one on your list sniffed 20+ INT's last year. That is just way too many. Looking at this another way, NU has averaged 15.7 INT's and 9.7 fumbles recovered per year over the last 10 years. NU also averaged 13.6 fumbles lost per year. NU already averages 4 more fumbles per year lost than our opponents and if Joe continues to average 1.75 INT's a game, then in 2008 the averages tell you that the overall turn over differential could be -9 or -10. That is almost a -1 diff per game and is a terrible number.

INT's per game means nothing because of how many times per game he threw the ball. I'll give you that INT per attempt is a better ratio to look at and all things considered I don't think these numbers are terrible.

Joe Ganz 4.61%

Sam Bradford 2.35%

Colt Brennan 3.33%

Brian Brohm 2.54%

Todd Reesing 1.57%

Chase Daniel 1.95%

NAME TD/INT INT/TD Ratio

Joe Ganz 16/7 44%

Chase Daniel 33/11 33%

Sam Bradford 36/8 22%

Colt Brennan 38/17 45%

Brian Brohm 30/12 40%

Todd Reesing 33/7 21%

I agree that you need to look at the per game stats vs. his overall stats. The big flaw with his overall stats is that it was for only 4 games, hence only 7 INT's. If you take the stats average per game (4TD/1.75INT) and project it over a standard 12 game schedule he would have had a wopping 48TD's and 21 INT's. Yes the 44% rate compares favorably with Brohm and Brennan, but no one on your list sniffed 20+ INT's last year. That is just way too many. Looking at this another way, NU has averaged 15.7 INT's and 9.7 fumbles recovered per year over the last 10 years. NU also averaged 13.6 fumbles lost per year. NU already averages 4 more fumbles per year lost than our opponents and if Joe continues to average 1.75 INT's a game, then in 2008 the averages tell you that the overall turn over differential could be -9 or -10. That is almost a -1 diff per game and is a terrible number.

Too be fair none of them sniffed anywhere near 48 TD's either. And none of them apart from maybe Colt Brennan had defenses that played pass defense nearly the entire game, none of them had absolutely terrible defenses to give them any support, and it also seemed Callahan didn't want him running the ball which he could have done in situations where he ended up throwing picks, which would also bring that number down. Not to mention that he'll have more and more experience as this season goes on and before those 4 games he had never started before.

You should also take into consideration the types of passes Ganz was throwing. His stats would look much better if he was shelling out swing passes all the time. Because we were always behind by so much he was forced to throw a lot of deep passes, which leads to more interceptions even amongst the best quarterbacks. Also, when the opposing defense KNOWS you're going to throw deep they can drop back into nickel or dime coverage and make it much more difficult for a quarterback.

Ganz will be just fine next year. I would like to see what Lee has up his sleeve though. This spring game can't come fast enough.

NAME TD/INT INT/TD Ratio

Joe Ganz 16/7 44%

Chase Daniel 33/11 33%

Sam Bradford 36/8 22%

Colt Brennan 38/17 45%

Brian Brohm 30/12 40%

Todd Reesing 33/7 21%

Too be fair none of them sniffed anywhere near 48 TD's either. And none of them apart from maybe Colt Brennan had defenses that played pass defense nearly the entire game, none of them had absolutely terrible defenses to give them any support, and it also seemed Callahan didn't want him running the ball which he could have done in situations where he ended up throwing picks, which would also bring that number down. Not to mention that he'll have more and more experience as this season goes on and before those 4 games he had never started before.

I agree that he has tremendous upside and I am excited to see what he can do with starting experience in the offense. He just looked like he has that Farve attitude too much, if he changes his mentatilty and is a bit more conservative with the ball then he will excel. If he doesn't, 48TD's or not, a -8 TO margin will not allow this team to win 8+ games. A running game would help as well.

NAME TD/INT INT/TD Ratio

Joe Ganz 16/7 44%

Chase Daniel 33/11 33%

Sam Bradford 36/8 22%

Colt Brennan 38/17 45%

Brian Brohm 30/12 40%

Todd Reesing 33/7 21%

I agree that he has tremendous upside and I am excited to see what he can do with starting experience in the offense. He just looked like he has that Farve attitude too much, if he changes his mentatilty and is a bit more conservative with the ball then he will excel. If he doesn't, 48TD's or not, a -8 TO margin will not allow this team to win 8+ games. A running game would help as well.

He needs confidence, not only in himself, but his coaches. Don't think there will be a problem there. The coaches will be 100% behind him, not yelling at him on the sidelines for making an effort to take a play that was busted and doing something with it.

NAME TD/INT INT/TD Ratio

Joe Ganz 16/7 44%

Chase Daniel 33/11 33%

Sam Bradford 36/8 22%

Colt Brennan 38/17 45%

Brian Brohm 30/12 40%

Todd Reesing 33/7 21%

He needs confidence, not only in himself, but his coaches. Don't think there will be a problem there. The coaches will be 100% behind him, not yelling at him on the sidelines for making an effort to take a play that was busted and doing something with it.

Very true about the running game helping to bring some balance and should open up the defenses to also allow for a drop in int's per attempt. Good point about confidence I also agree with that.

Lol come on August.

It will also help that Joe will actually be working with the starters. He didn't get to practice with the starters til he became on himself.

While picks might be an issue I think the circumstances he was throwing under increased his picks.

I think he'll likely throw a fairly average number this year, maybe less depending on how much we throw and how often we are trying to come from behind.

Interceptions are sometimes a skewed stat. You have to consider tipped passes and things like that

And also dropped interceptions. I seem to remember a few passes Joe had no business throwing and got away with an incompletion.

I think he'll have learned what worked and what didn't and be a lot better wrt to INTs this year.