Joe Ganz Interceptions

If (A Big IF) Joe had performed for a full season like he did in the time he played, his QB rating of 163.4 would have been 3rd in the NCAA behind Bradford and Tebow (176.5 and 172.5 respectively).

Uh huh...and if I was Warren Buffett's kid I wouldn't be looking under my couch cushions for enough change to buy myself a six-pack.... <_<

Frankly...who cares if the QB (be it Ganz or Lee) can throw the ball on a rope for 150 yards? Looking at the receivers coming back, I really don't think that Swift or Peterson or any of the other ones have enough speed to beat coverage way down field anyway. The guy who runs the team has to be the one that:

1) Gains the confidence and respect of his teammates

2) Is a multi-threat who is accurate to maybe 15 to 20 yards downfield

3) Can hand or pitch the ball off to the running back without screwing it up...

I don't know why everyone is so concerned with the passing game anyway. The biggest fallacy I've seen is that you can't win unless you have some gunslinger who has a rocket for an arm. Bah...you want to look exciting or do you want to win some ball games? If you want to win, you invest some time and effort in getting yourself a couple of quality backs to go with Lucky, reschool the offensive line in run blocking (and don't leave out the receivers in that reschoolng...hopefully Ron Brown will bring back the "stone" and "blaze" gradng for those guys), show the QB who the TE and FB are and tell them they can catch some passes now and then too....and finally...run the damn ball. Use the run to set up the pass...This is the freakin Big 12...this ain't the PAC-10 or the Big 10. We play REAL football here...smash mouth, go cry to your mama football...or at least we used to.

Gawd...if I have to go through another year of that god-awful "finesse...spread...zone block" crap, I might have to mow the grass on Saturdays or something....

AMEN!

Looking at the receivers coming back, I really don't think that Swift or Peterson or any of the other ones have enough speed to beat coverage way down field anyway.

Curenski Gilleylen has plenty of speed, he was redshirting as a freshman last year, he runs a 10.22 in the 100, and is almost 6'0" weighing 200-210

^ because advertised 4.4 times out of h.s. mean just so much :-\

I saw him run at the state track meet. He got first in the 300m & 100m hurdles and third in the 110m sprint. The hurdles werent even close, and the difference between 1st and 3rd in the 110 sprint was less than a foot.The kid can flat out fly, he not only advertises that speed, he backs it up.

I can honestly say that in four years of D1 football, the only time I ever ran 40 yards on a football field without getting hit, grabbed, slugged, knocked down, held or otherwise slowed up by situations beyond my control was the time Dwayne Crutchfield wanted to kick my ass for filling his jock with foot powder....

Turned out he was pretty fast for a guy who looked like a Coke machine with a head... <_<

Oh...the point! Flat out speed on a track is impressive. Too bad a football field isn't a track...if you get my point.

The point was you said you didn't think we had any recievers that could beat the coverage down field. I say we do have some WR with some darn good speed they just haven't played alot yet. Fast is fast weather there on a track or a field. We will be fine with playmakers is all I'm saying, the natural ability is there.

GBR

When Ganz finally got his chance, BC would ride his butt if he took off, so there was the threat of losing his job if he winged it now and then. BC was not about to use Ganz's mobility in the offense because he had to prove that Nebraska could be a passing team.

So THAT'S why Callahan started the CU game running a zone read where the quarterback can hand it off or tuck it and run. It was because he didn't want Joe running the ball....

Looking at the receivers coming back, I really don't think that Swift or Peterson or any of the other ones have enough speed to beat coverage way down field anyway. The guy who runs the team has to be the one that:

Actually, besides his heavy reliance on Purify, Ganz really enjoyed finding Peterson down the field. Almost 100% of the time that we were in the red zone and Ganz scrambled, it was Peterson who got free and ended up catching the touchdown pass.

The only negative I keep hearing about him is that he has a tendency to throw a lot of int's well I would just like to ask people where they are getting this idea from. Keep in mind he had never started a game before those last 4 and that about 80% of the time the defenses knew we were going to pass and dropped extra people back to add to the coverage. All that being said he still managed a decent int/td ratio in my opinion.

NAME TD/INT INT/TD Ratio

Joe Ganz 16/7 44%

Chase Daniel 33/11 33%

Sam Bradford 36/8 22%

Colt Brennan 38/17 45%

Brian Brohm 30/12 40%

Todd Reesing 33/7 21%

Chose Kansas, Oklahoma, and Mizzou QB's as they are in our conference and are really great, and then just chose Brohm and Brennan from the top 15 in pass efficiency randomly last year. As you can see Ganz fit's in with them decently and these are all Heisman quality quarterbacks.

Ganz almost single handedly lost the CO game with the three momentum and score changing pics. On the other hand, he was hot as hell the first half and looked unstoppable. He's still just understandably o bit green with game experience and needs to learn to not force passes, mainly. I think he can become very very good, like chase daniels good, though he only has one more year w big red. I trust him to lead the team well in 08, though, and be a very effective qb, just stop forcing it, joey-nator.

zE OUT.... :restore

i got kinda bored of reading a lot of that, so i didn't read it all..

but here's my opinion...

we'll find out this spring how the qb's look for the most part.. and the coaches will make the decision.. none of us know as well as they do who will and wont get the job.. we can speculate, but its just that.. personally, ganz has the hand up just because he actually has in game experience, but we will find out come august/september who will be the starter.. arguing about ganz and his int's compared to everyone else isn't getting anywhere... besides, we have no idea if anyone else would step in and do any better or possibly worse...

i got kinda bored of reading a lot of that, so i didn't read it all..

but here's my opinion...

we'll find out this spring how the qb's look for the most part.. and the coaches will make the decision.. none of us know as well as they do who will and wont get the job.. we can speculate, but its just that.. personally, ganz has the hand up just because he actually has in game experience, but we will find out come august/september who will be the starter.. arguing about ganz and his int's compared to everyone else isn't getting anywhere... besides, we have no idea if anyone else would step in and do any better or possibly worse...

your points make sense, but i thought speculation was the 'fuel' of sports blogging, the whole point of doing it.... ;)

I think Ganz worshippers need to evaluate a lot more film of him. The guy is OK, but certainly not above reproach and is no "lock" to be the starting QB based on last years games. I saw him throw way too many bad balls...off target and many that were intercepted or could have easily been intercepted but for the defenders dropping the balls. It happened quite a bit if you would look at the games he played. That said, I'm sure he learned alot and will get better. I love Joe's mobility and he certainly had fire and passion that was missing on the offense last year.

In the end (of Fall practices that is...) I think Zac Lee will prove to be the best QB as he has a stronger arm...better accuracy..and is mobile to boot. Don't knock his tenure at the JC he played at. I'd take that experience more than Joe's at this stage as he played in more games. Ganz games were against average defenses.

Let's just see what happens in the Spring and then the Fall. If all things are considered even going into both camps, we'll have a leader come out of this that will lead us to some wins this coming year.