Huskers returning to tradition

BUCK MAHONEY, Hub Sports Editor

03/21/08

KEARNEY— First up for the new Nebraska Cornhusker coaching staff: teaching the philosophy and foundation that will return the Husker tradition.

"We're going back to the traditions that Nebraska is built on," said defensive coordinator Carl Pelini. "You look at the great teams of the '60s, '70s, '80s and '90s, there's a physical brand of football that when teams came into that stadium they were intimidated by that uniform.

"They knew they were going to be involved in a physical, hard-nosed, smash-mouth football game against an opponent that literally would not quit. We need to instill that in our players. … We need to play at an effort level that exceeds all of our opponents."

Pelini visited Kearney to address the Builders Warehouse Contractors Show and Breakfast.

He said the creation of the new coaching staff under his younger brother, head coach Bo Pelini, has been a fun and exciting time.

"When we first got hired, we essentially said 'hi' to one another, then all took off on the road in different directions," he said.

But once the recruiting push ended, the staff had time to sit down and plan for the future.

"It was a matter of coming up with the philosophy for the program, the basics we want to focus this program on," Pelini said. "We're going to play at an effort level that is going to shock our opponents. The first thing as a staff we want to instill in our guys is we want them to play with that kind of effort."

That process begins Wednesday when spring football begins, and Pelini said he thinks the players will have to make an adjustment.

"We're going to be challenging them on the field, pushing them to the limit and getting them to the point where they really have to reach deep inside themselves to finish the drills. … We've talked about it. But until they actually experience it, I don't think they truly understand what type of effort we expect out of them in every drill and every practice," Pelini said. "Once we have that instilled, everything else will come smooth."

When not planning for the future, Pelini said the coaches have tried to evaluate the players through film and winter conditioning exercises.

It's not an exact science, and it won't be until spring practice begins that the coaches can truly begin to evaluate the players.

"What you're looking for is improvement every day and effort. Those are the two things you're looking at right now," Pelini said. "You watch kids do agility work and different isolated drills and they look very talented. But it's difficult to say how that translates to the field and it's hard for me to speak on that until we've actually been in practice."

Watching films is less valuable because Pelini said the new coaching staff has different philosophies and coaching techniques so it's like comparing "apples to oranges."

"You just not the habits you're going to have to break and the things you can build on," he said.

Link

BUCK MAHONEY, Hub Sports Editor

03/21/08

KEARNEY— First up for the new Nebraska Cornhusker coaching staff: teaching the philosophy and foundation that will return the Husker tradition.

"We're going back to the traditions that Nebraska is built on," said defensive coordinator Carl Pelini. "You look at the great teams of the '60s, '70s, '80s and '90s, there's a physical brand of football that when teams came into that stadium they were intimidated by that uniform.

"They knew they were going to be involved in a physical, hard-nosed, smash-mouth football game against an opponent that literally would not quit. We need to instill that in our players. … We need to play at an effort level that exceeds all of our opponents."

Pelini visited Kearney to address the Builders Warehouse Contractors Show and Breakfast.

He said the creation of the new coaching staff under his younger brother, head coach Bo Pelini, has been a fun and exciting time.

"When we first got hired, we essentially said 'hi' to one another, then all took off on the road in different directions," he said.

But once the recruiting push ended, the staff had time to sit down and plan for the future.

"It was a matter of coming up with the philosophy for the program, the basics we want to focus this program on," Pelini said. "We're going to play at an effort level that is going to shock our opponents. The first thing as a staff we want to instill in our guys is we want them to play with that kind of effort."

That process begins Wednesday when spring football begins, and Pelini said he thinks the players will have to make an adjustment.

"We're going to be challenging them on the field, pushing them to the limit and getting them to the point where they really have to reach deep inside themselves to finish the drills. … We've talked about it. But until they actually experience it, I don't think they truly understand what type of effort we expect out of them in every drill and every practice," Pelini said. "Once we have that instilled, everything else will come smooth."

When not planning for the future, Pelini said the coaches have tried to evaluate the players through film and winter conditioning exercises.

It's not an exact science, and it won't be until spring practice begins that the coaches can truly begin to evaluate the players.

"What you're looking for is improvement every day and effort. Those are the two things you're looking at right now," Pelini said. "You watch kids do agility work and different isolated drills and they look very talented. But it's difficult to say how that translates to the field and it's hard for me to speak on that until we've actually been in practice."

Watching films is less valuable because Pelini said the new coaching staff has different philosophies and coaching techniques so it's like comparing "apples to oranges."

"You just not the habits you're going to have to break and the things you can build on," he said.

Link

:restore That is what I am talking about....

Please restore the Tradition is about all i gotta say!

That is: the toughness!

I think that was the main thing lacking in Calli's(and that other DC guy's) teams, is that they just didnt seem to play very physical--especially last season; that is, what I can recall of last season, though i suffer from a self imposed amnesia regarding it.

The good news is, I have no doubt that Bo and his Bro will restore the order to Big Red. I cant think of a better coach to have, actually, especially in regard to instilling toughness back into the team.

I absolutely see the return of the Blackshirt tradition next year and see NE as having one of the most feared defenses in the country under Bo!

YAY! :restore

i was not aware pelini's bro is on the staff

... wow... you've *really* been outta the loop, haven't you?

Well i live in iowa and they dont really talk about nebraska football a whole lot unfortunately

Hey, me as well and this is the only place to get all the Husker information you need. Check out the ChickenCoop on Grand if you live in Des Moines. It's a Husker bar.

i was not aware pelini's bro is on the staff

... wow... you've *really* been outta the loop, haven't you?

Well i live in iowa and they dont really talk about nebraska football a whole lot unfortunately

Carl Pelini is on the staff, right?

For me, my opinion of progress isn't going to be based totally on wins and losses. Effort is what I want to see. Last year was embarrasing, I had never shut the TV or radio off during a game but knowing that the players were not giving 110% made me sick. It's one thing to lose, but to lay down and give up is just unacceptable. Im reall looking forward to seeing the Huskers play with some fire and a chip on their shoulders.

I agree. I'd walk away from the TV upset and when you'd go to the bar to watch a game, you'd hear booing or nothing at all. Nebraska got walked all over last year.

It's like this years theme should be "Setting things straight in '08".

Nebraska's powerhouse program was and will be awesome again. I loved seeing an opposing QB's line give up on the game. That and watching a running back just freeze with the ball knowing he was going to get hit.

Husker Power is back!

6h55FzRJLbc