Too many Juco's??????

kramer

I was talking with a buddy of mine, he thinks we are getting ourselves in a lot of troube signing all the Juco's. He said the Juco's are there because of their grades and attitude. I disagreed, of course. I think the kids we signed seem like great kids and are not going to cause any trouble but I wanted to ask what everyone else thought. Do you think it's wise to sign this many Juco kids in one year? I say yes and it is the way KSU turned things around overnight.

I think a lot of Juco's have been brought in now for an immediate impact. Then you don't have to have a baptism by fire of sorts for your freshman.

Sure, they could turn out to be a flop. Any recruit could. Be it a Juco or a HS. But you don't not recruit someone because of what they might not do. Same goes for HS kids.

I would look for the number of Juco kids in future classes to decrease to avoid the Kansas State Effect. :)

Callahen is just trying to keep his job. Our H.S. recruits are going to be great someday, but very few freshmen can come in and play 1-A college football right away. they need time to get use to college football where they are not the best players on the field. These Juco's will help that process a lot, plus most of our Juco's have 3 years to play.

This is very smart by Callahan and company.

Juco's are simply bandaids. They could turn out to be the best thing for the program, or they could be the final nail in the coffin. When you get this many "thugs", you always run into the potential problems of having a breeding ground for problems, i.e. Terrell Farley. With as many as we're getting from one JuCo and apparently they haven't had too many brushes with the law, I'm going to assume we will be okay. I don't mean to imply all JuCo players are thugs, but let's get real. There is always a reason they went to a JuCo in the first place especially if they're as heavily sought after. Most of the time it is grades, but a lot of the time it is because of past run-ins with the law.

The problem with JuCo's is they usually only have 2 years of eligibility. If they don't catch onto the system real quick, then you've already wasted one. However, there are several JuCo players who have dramatically impacted a team i.e. KState.

There is always a reason they went to a JuCo in the first place especially if they're as heavily sought after.  Most of the time it is grades, but a lot of the time it is because of past run-ins with the law. 

I find that most of the time it's grades. I don't think there are any questions on a college application asking you about your criminal record. I may be wrong though. The fact that some players are thugs is secondary to the fact that they can't make the grade.

There is no doubt in my mind that there are just as many thugs coming out of HS's that make it into programs as JC's.

The only downside I see to JC's is the fact that you stated. Many times they have 4 years to play 3, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. But, IMO, that's hardly a reason not to recruit some especially if you think they can have a positive impact in their shortened time. Just don't go all KState in the coming years. The meat of the program has to remain in HS's. Thus why I look for the number of Juco's recruited in the coming years to go down. But hey, if the guys can play they can play.

I agree that JUCO's are kind of like a band-aid, but the Huskers have scored what seem to be pretty good ones. I think Callahan grabbing these JUCO's shows that he grasps that this state is not very patient and doesn't accept losing. He wants to win now, get the ship righted quickly. You take away the JUCO players, and Nebraska still has a darn good class though. These JUCO's are going to come in and fill gaps pretty much immediately. They are generally bigger and smarter players than the high school kids because they have had 1-2 years playing experience and strength conditioning(albeit at the JUCO level). I wouldn't look for this to be an every year thing for the Huskers because I think it is plain to see the pickle K-State is in and I am sure Callahan and Co. recognize that. K-State effect, right? ;)

I agree that JUCO's are kind of like a band-aid, but the Huskers have scored what seem to be pretty good ones. I think Callahan grabbing these JUCO's shows that he grasps that this state is not very patient and doesn't accept losing. He wants to win now, get the ship righted quickly. You take away the JUCO players, and Nebraska still has a darn good class though. These JUCO's are going to come in and fill gaps pretty much immediately. They are generally bigger and smarter players than the high school kids because they have had 1-2 years playing experience and strength conditioning(albeit at the JUCO level). I wouldn't look for this to be an every year thing for the Huskers because I think it is plain to see the pickle K-State is in and I am sure Callahan and Co. recognize that. K-State effect, right? ;)

But is Callahan getting nervous. Is he doing what's best for the program. Quick fix?? I have never thought JUco's were the best, because as soon as they get here they are gone. DO they ever mesh with the team. I always thought that was a huge problem with KST>

I agree that JUCO's are kind of like a band-aid, but the Huskers have scored what seem to be pretty good ones.  I think Callahan grabbing these JUCO's shows that he grasps that this state is not very patient and doesn't accept losing.  He wants to win now, get the ship righted quickly.  You take away the JUCO players, and Nebraska still has a darn good class though.  These JUCO's are going to come in and fill gaps pretty much immediately.  They are generally bigger and smarter players than the high school kids because they have had 1-2 years playing experience and strength conditioning(albeit at the JUCO level).  I wouldn't look for this to be an every year thing for the Huskers because I think it is plain to see the pickle K-State is in and I am sure Callahan and Co. recognize that.  K-State effect, right?  ;)

But is Callahan getting nervous. Is he doing what's best for the program. Quick fix?? I have never thought JUco's were the best, because as soon as they get here they are gone. DO they ever mesh with the team. I always thought that was a huge problem with KST>

The problem with Kstate is that they hardly have any freshman and sophmore's. It's hard to have any continuity when the same people aren't there for say 3 years at least.

Like I said in another thread, the juco's are being brought in to avoid a baptism by fire for the some of the freshman and sophmore's IMO. I would expect the number of Juco's to be reduced in the coming years. But they will still be there. Hell, if they can play get'em, but the meat of the team will remain with HS'ers. I could be wrong, but hey, we will see.

Some of these recruits have 4 years to play 3 or 3 years to play 3. Not so bad.

I totally agree w/Dave, I think we're bringing in JUCO's for the immediate assistance and we have good HS kids for the future. We seem to have a heck of a start on the future, our O w/Beck, Lucky, Roark, Picou, Jackson (D?), Brooks, Glenn and Hunter and our D w/Suh, Potter, Dillard, Mickens and Covey. I would also be concerned if we were bringing lowly-sought JUCO kids, but Bowman, Octavien, Taylor, Hardy and Tomerlin were all getting offers from the heavy hitters. We should see a great deal of improvement next year. And I can't wait to see it live, because I just got my new Husker tickets handed down from Gramps for the rest of my life, 24 rows from the field, just above the current tunnel walk!