Big 12 coahes

From journalstar.com blog:

Ranking the Big 12 coaches

As mentioned in a notebook recently, Tom Dienhart of The Sporting News decided to go and try to rank the Big 12 football coaches.

Husker coach Bo Pelini was ranked ninth.

His rankings:

Bob Stoops

Mack Brown

Mark Mangino

Mike Leach

Dan Hawkins

Gary Pinkel

Art Briles

Mike Sherman

Bo Pelini

Mike Gundy

Gene Chizik

Ron Prince (ouch)

Writes Dienhart: "I expect Pelini to shoot up this list quickly, as he grows into a role he was born to perform. His defensive smarts are well documented, but most impressive is his ability to connect with players and get them to fulfill their potential."

Like Ron Brown said, you haven't done it til you done it. Except for the Alamo Bowl Bo hasn't been a HC so he has to prove something before being ranked above guys that have proven something.

I might move Mangino above Brown. Mangino has a much harder job than Brown trying to win at a basketball school away from recruiting hotbeds. Brown can hire elite assistants away from other teams(a MAJOR luxury), Mangino loses his assistants to the big names. Brown is a better recruiter, but he does have an easy place to recruit to. I don't know if Brown could take KU where Mangino did last year. Hard to say, we'll see what KU does this year with a tougher sched.

I'd say that list is pretty defendable though.

I would have to agree with you Danimal. Mangino has shown that he can develop players and even get his team to play as a whole in the bigger games(Va Tech). With the exception of one bad half last year against Mizzou, Kansas would've been playing for a conference title and possibly the national championship. Without Vince Young, Brown never would have won that championship and probably won't win another one.

Pinkel should be ahead of Leach and Hawkins. Chizik should be higher. Pelini should be ahead of Sherman. Once Leach makes it to a Big 12 championship then hell deserve to be so high. Hawkins hasnt shown us anything making him worthy of such a high status. Lastly, Briles is a great coach but is unproven in a major conference but i liek his position for the time being.

I would have to agree with you Danimal. Mangino has shown that he can develop players and even get his team to play as a whole in the bigger games(Va Tech). With the exception of one bad half last year against Mizzou, Kansas would've been playing for a conference title and possibly the national championship. Without Vince Young, Brown never would have won that championship and probably won't win another one.

I really have to disagree with you. MU dominated KU. Yes, ku came back late in the game, but, you can not say KU was one half away. That is uncredible statement.

That said, Mangino is one hell of a coach.

Mark Mangino went 12-1 last season to bring his career record at KU to 37-36. In conference, he's 18-30. He was a one-season wonder.

Hee hee...there was a whole radio show last fall documenting Pinkel's stupid coaching decisions and how Missouri won last year despite his help...

And again...Dienhart is a tool. When Iowa State was looking for new coach last year he had a whole list on his blog on who ISU should go for...Callahan was 21st on the list...Chizek was 66th and Pelini wasn't even ON the list...

I think Chizek must have kicked Dienhart in the nuts at some point while he was at Texas...