Recruiting standouts eager for game day

Recruiting standouts eager for game day

Three highly regarded prospects from enemy territory — two on offense and one on defense — headline a group of about 100 recruits who will attend Nebraska's spring game on Saturday afternoon at Memorial Stadium.

Nathan Scheelhaase, a four-star dual-threat quarterback from Kansas City Rockhurst, and Gabe Lynn, a four-star defensive back and the half-brother of Husker linebacker Phillip Dillard, will be the most notable prospects on hand for NU coach Bo Pelini's first spring game.

"I'm definitely excited for it," said Scheelhaase, who was in Lincoln for the USC game in September. "I'm real anxious to meet the new staff and get a look at the new Nebraska."

The 6-foot-3, 184-pound junior completed 63 percent of his passes for 1,861 yards and 20 touchdowns last season for Rockhurst, the 2007 Missouri state champions. Scheelhaase has offers from Arkansas, Illinois, Iowa, Kansas, Missouri, Nebraska, Mississippi, Oklahoma, Stanford and Wake Forest.

The former NU staff offered him a scholarship on Sept. 1 of last year, the first day colleges could tender official offers to high school juniors.

Scheelhaase won't be the only four-star signal-caller on hand Saturday. Texas high school quarterback Ryan Mossakowski is also expected to be on hand. The pro-style quarterback holds offers from NU, Alabama, Arizona, Auburn, Clemson, Kansas, Oregon and Texas A&M.

I've heard they're a program that definitely wants to get back "This is definitely a big weekend for Nebraska," Scheelhaase said. "I heard it was going to be sold out, which is crazy. They had a rough season, and from everything to the winning ways."

And then there's Lynn, the 6-foot-1, 180-pound cornerback out of Tulsa, Okla. Lynn is the half-brother of Dillard, the NU junior-to-be who is expected to be the Huskers' starter at middle linebacker next season. Lynn said he's been to Lincoln four or five times and has always come away impressed with the atmosphere at Memorial Stadium.

"First and foremost, I'm coming to see Phil play," Lynn said. "I just want to see what the new staff is like, how Nebraska comes out. My last picture of Nebraska wasn't so good. They were struggling. I want to see how they changed it, see how they work."

Lynn said he's never seen his older brother happier as a Husker.

"I saw him smile once, maybe twice with that old staff," Lynn said. "Talking to him now, he seems a lot happier. He loves those new guys. He just tells me that everyone is real cool and easy to get along with. Coming from Phil, they must be pretty cool guys."

Lynn holds offers from Kansas, Miami, Michigan, Nebraska, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Tennessee and Texas A&M. He said NU defensive backs coach Marvin Sanders has been his main recruiter for the Huskers. John Blake, the former Nebraska assistant that recruited Dillard to Lincoln, is trying to sway him toward North Carolina.

A record turnout is expected, something that Scheelhaase said he's excited for.

"To sell out a spring game and you're how many months away from the season, that's impressive," he said. "That's one of the most impressive environments I've ever been in."

Spring Game When: 1 p.m. Saturday

Where: Memorial Stadium, Lincoln

TV: None

Radio: 1110 AM KFAB

Link

"First and foremost, I'm coming to see Phil play," Lynn said. "I just want to see what the new staff is like, how Nebraska comes out. My last picture of Nebraska wasn't so good. They were struggling. I want to see how they changed it, see how they work."

I don't know how I feel about that comment. It sounds like he's just coming to see Dillard, and not really considering us seriously as a place he would like to play at. I'm still fairly bearish on our chances with Lynn. I would be surprised if he comes.

All the more reason for us fans to have Memorial Stadium rockin' come saturday. Let's show these boys what type of atmosphere they can expect when they put on that uniform. Possibly if they see a rockin' staduim in April they can only imagine how the actual season will be!

I don't know how I feel about that comment. It sounds like he's just coming to see Dillard, and not really considering us seriously as a place he would like to play at. I'm still fairly bearish on our chances with Lynn. I would be surprised if he comes.

I disagree somewhat. Ya he wanted to see his brother play but I'd say we are in the game for him. He wants to see what we put on the field before taking Neb seriously, I can understand that.