Purify's Prospects

So Maurice didnt get picked in the draft. Part of me was surprised, part of me wasn't. I feel really bad for him as it seems his antics have gotten him black listed from the NFL. In an article I read Purify was pretty upset and said if the kid he was beating all day at the KU game was a first round pick, what does that make Mo? Good point! I guess Mo should have kept a better lid on his temper and maybe been a bit wiser in his decisions. It appears he is going to try his hand as a free agent and headed to the mini camp in Cincinatti... does anyone think he will get in the NFL and if so, who will take him?

4 teams have taken him off their draft boards altogether... bad news for Mo. I sure wish we could have him for ONE more season at NU... those one handed grabs were the most exciting thing to happen under Callahan!! Easy... I know how that sounded! LOL!!

I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up being a solid pro if he can keep his head on straight. He showed adequate speed at the combine(4.5) and he has ideal size for a pro receiver in 6'4" 220 lbs. A good situation to come into, because Cincy cut ties with Chris Henry and Chad Johnson has decided he doesn't want to play there.

I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up being a solid pro if he can keep his head on straight. He showed adequate speed at the combine(4.5) and he has ideal size for a pro receiver in 6'4" 220 lbs. A good situation to come into, because Cincy cut ties with Chris Henry and Chad Johnson has decided he doesn't want to play there.

Good for him! Is cincy any good?

4.5 at the combines? I wasn't aware of that. I was always impressed with his nose for the ball and his hands but never his speed. He's going to need to figure out how to run clean tight routes and give good fakes because 4.5 isn't going to get you open with too many DB's in the NFL IMO. I wish him luck tough. He's going to need to play like a veteran if he's going to make it. He just doesn't have enough speed to get it done on talent alone.

4.5 at the combines? I wasn't aware of that. I was always impressed with his nose for the ball and his hands but never his speed. He's going to need to figure out how to run clean tight routes and give good fakes because 4.5 isn't going to get you open with too many DB's in the NFL IMO. I wish him luck tough. He's going to need to play like a veteran if he's going to make it. He just doesn't have enough speed to get it done on talent alone.

You do realize that a majority of the WR's taken in the first 3-4 rounds all ran about a 4.5?

i'm guessing that Talib's interviews were much better too.. guessing he's just flat out a smarter kid.. If you've ever attempted to carry a convo with Mo.. or i guess just listened to his interviews, he isn't the brightest person in the world.. never had a problem w/ him and seems nice.. obviously the problems when he gets drunk, but outside that, keeps his head on straight he should do well.

best of luck to mo

Purify expected to sign with Cincinnati

By JACKIE CHRISTENSEN, The Eureka Reporter

Eureka High graduate Maurice Purify is expected to sign a contract with the Cincinnati Bengals this week. Submitted photo/University of Nebraska

According to his agent Gary Glick, Eureka High graduate and former Nebraska wide receiver Maurice Purify is expected to sign a contract with the Cincinnati Bengals this week.

Purify, who became an undrafted free agent when he was not selected during the NFL Draft April 26 and 27, was invited to rookie mini-camps with the Bengals over the weekend, where, according to Glick, he performed well.

"The chances are excellent that he's going to sign with Cincinnati this week," Glick said. "Right now we're just working out some of the details with the contract."

At rookie mini-camps, all of Cincinnati's drafted players and recruited undrafted free agents went through four days of workouts from Thursday to Sunday, including three double days, in what was essentially a tryout to make the Bengals' roster and sign a contract.

According to Glick, Purify was tested thoroughly in all areas, and passed with flying colors.

"Overall they said he did a really good job," Glick said. "They said he ran his routes well, he caught the ball and looked sharp. They also interviewed him extensively about these off-the-field things, and they loved his responses. They liked the guy that he is, and they said he represented himself well."

Purify, a 6-foot-3.75-inch, 220-pound receiver, caught 91 passes and 16 touchdowns in just 25 games at Nebraska.

If he had been picked up in the draft, he would have become the first football player in North Coast history to have his name called in the NFL Draft.

Purify misses probation revocation court date

By the Lincoln Journal Star

Maurice Purify missed his own court date for probation revocation late Tuesday morning.

His attorney, Jon Braaten, told Judge James Foster that his client was out of town and unable to be there.

Foster noted Purify's failure to appear for the record.

Braaten raised a matter, which could be an issue in two weeks, when a docket call was set.

Prosecutors filed the probation revocation based on an allegation that Purify had used alcohol in California against a probation order. But Braaten said it was his understanding the California case had been, or soon would be, dismissed.

Since there was no test of Purify's blood alcohol level, he argued prosecutors would need to bring the California officer to Nebraska for a revocation hearing because Purify had a right to confront witnesses against him.

Braaten said Purify denies he was drinking.

He said Purify had done everything else required of him in his year-long probation order, which he got for assault, disturbing the peace and hindering arrest May 5, 2007 and a DUI June 8, 2007.

He was sentenced to a year of probation on July 18.

Deputy Lancaster County Attorney Eric Miller said the state still would want to pursue the probation revocation, regardless of if it was dismissed in California.

But he said he needed time to research what constitutes good cause of a violation.

They were expected to take up the issues May 20.

Purify was ticketed by Lincoln police on suspicion of being an inmate of a disorderly house March 8 after police were called to a loud party in the 3100 block of Mickaela Lane.

That case is set for a bench trial May 7.

Purify misses probation revocation court date

By the Lincoln Journal Star

Maurice Purify missed his own court date for probation revocation late Tuesday morning.

His attorney, Jon Braaten, told Judge James Foster that his client was out of town and unable to be there.

Foster noted Purify's failure to appear for the record.

Braaten raised a matter, which could be an issue in two weeks, when a docket call was set.

Prosecutors filed the probation revocation based on an allegation that Purify had used alcohol in California against a probation order. But Braaten said it was his understanding the California case had been, or soon would be, dismissed.

Since there was no test of Purify's blood alcohol level, he argued prosecutors would need to bring the California officer to Nebraska for a revocation hearing because Purify had a right to confront witnesses against him.

Braaten said Purify denies he was drinking.

He said Purify had done everything else required of him in his year-long probation order, which he got for assault, disturbing the peace and hindering arrest May 5, 2007 and a DUI June 8, 2007.

He was sentenced to a year of probation on July 18.

Deputy Lancaster County Attorney Eric Miller said the state still would want to pursue the probation revocation, regardless of if it was dismissed in California.

But he said he needed time to research what constitutes good cause of a violation.

They were expected to take up the issues May 20.

Purify was ticketed by Lincoln police on suspicion of being an inmate of a disorderly house March 8 after police were called to a loud party in the 3100 block of Mickaela Lane.

That case is set for a bench trial May 7.

WOW, One can only hope that he gets his life straightend out. dedhoarse

Surprising to me that the Bengals picked him up. As many problems as they've had with players and the law, you'd think they wouldn't want to sign a guy who has had some troubles in the past.

That being said, I really hope Mo steps it up. The Bengals are having some troubles at the WR spot, and Mo could definitely see some playing time. He could be a pretty good receiver in the NFL. Reminds me a lot of Marques Colston for the Saints. Taller guy with not a whole lot of speed, but a great nose for the ball and pretty solid hands. Good luck Mo!