Pelini still busy without recruiting

Pelini still busy without recruiting

Bo Pelini can see plenty of positives in being out recruiting right now at high schools in Nebraska and throughout the nation. * So, the Nebraska coaching staff's focus in May will be recruiting and preparing for its summer camps, which begin in early June. "We want to get as many top-notch kids in the state and around the country in our camps as we possibly can," Jamrog said.

After all, he's a first-year head coach trying to build momentum and a foundation for the Nebraska football program.

"It'd be nice to go out and be seen and be in the schools and develop more relationships with coaches," he said.

However, Pelini remains in Lincoln because the NCAA, in legislation passed in January, banned head coaches from making off-campus recruiting visits during the spring evaluation period (April 15-May 31).

The NCAA already had prohibited head coaches from speaking in person to recruits during the spring evaluation period. Problem was, head coaches kept "bumping into" (wink, wink) prospects during visits to high schools. As a result, those coaches were "unintentionally" violating NCAA rules.

Pelini's overriding opinion on the new legislation, which is often referred to as the "Nick Saban Rule?"

"I can deal with whatever rules they throw out, as long as we're all on an even playing field," Pelini said.

Saban, by the way, has said the new rule is ridiculous. His stance makes sense. He points out that he used the evaluation period to do just that — evaluate prospects. He would talk to prep coaches, principals and guidance counselors as a way to judge the character of recruits.

However, Mack Brown said the high-profile nature of being Texas' head coach makes it virtually impossible to avoid contact with prospects during visits to Lone Star State high schools. When the Longhorns' head coach visits a school, it becomes an event, as is the case with many head coaches in many states. That's why Brown has gone several years without making such visits in the spring.

NCAA legislation was drafted that would've allowed only first-year head coaches to visit high schools in the spring. But that legislation failed to advance.

Pelini isn't exactly losing sleep over the issue. By remaining in Lincoln, he said, he can concentrate on breaking down 2008 opponent offenses (Husker offensive coordinator Shawn Watson will break down defenses, Pelini said). For instance, Pelini will begin by thoroughly breaking down seven or eight of Western Michigan's games from last season.

The Huskers open the schedule Aug. 30 against the Broncos.

"I didn't go out recruiting last (spring at Louisiana State) except for a couple days," Pelini said. "So, going into summer, I already had familiarized myself with a lot of the offenses we were going to face. And that's huge. It saves you time."

In the final analysis, Pelini said he can accomplish a lot by staying off the recruiting trail.

"I'll get a lot done being in the office," he said. "I'll also be able to get out around the state and speak some. That's good for me to do because I haven't been able to be everywhere yet."

Pelini spoke in Columbus on Tuesday night.

What's more, Pelini said, he'll spend a lot of time in the next several weeks watching film of recruiting prospects.

Said Jeff Jamrog, NU assistant athletic director for football operations: "Our coaches will be calling in every day from the road and sending in film for him to look at."

* Seven assistant coaches are allowed to be on the road recruiting. "We want to make sure we do a great job recruiting in-state, and also do a great job in a 500-mile radius," Jamrog said. "Then, obviously, we want to branch out and hit some key recruiting areas around the country where we've pulled out kids in the past."

* Jamrog said his staff compiled a list of states where scholarship signees came from during the years 1985-2008:

1. Nebraska (134 players)

2. Texas (75)

3. California (63)

4. (tie) Missouri, Florida (22)

6. (tie) Illinois, New Jersey (19)

8. Louisiana (18)

9. (tie) Colorado, Arizona (16).

"We just threw that out there so all of our coaches know that historically those are places where we've gotten our players," Jamrog said. "Sometimes you can break into a new area. I mean, we'll have coaches scattered out. We'll hit 42 states (this spring).

"The thing is, normally history repeats itself. You're usually going to get kids out of a certain area, and it helps that you've had a pipeline. But maybe you can start a new pipeline somewhere else."

* Nebraska players report for preseason camp Aug. 3, and the first practice will be the following day.

link

I think it would be so interesting to watch how Bo (or any coach really) and see how he creates a strategy and gameplan for each of NU's opponents...which is apparently what he will be doing since he can't be involved with recruiting right now.

Bo needs to be video conferencing!

Funny how the guy says its about coaches getting out-worked for recruits when the rule really about putting the focus back on actually coaching and not being a freakin' sceaz-ball like Nick Saban. Of course when your column is called Inside Recruiting, it's doubtful that you have unbiased opinions on the subject.

You actually have to break down the other team's offense?! I thought you could just show up on Saturday and play. This Pelini guy really is different from Callahan and Cosgrove.

:clap

Ha. Yeah, I guess Callahan and Cosgrove didn't get that memo...

But in all seriousness, I know Callahan had at least an offensive game plan (most likely a really good one). That you can be sure of. As far as the defense, I'm not really sure. The defense just never really seemed to play as a team, looked confused, and didn't really play with much intensity.

Of course, the defense side of my analysis may appear as a generalization - because some players did put forth alot of effort - but it was just hard to watch the defense after the Mizzou game. The lack of intensity could attributed to the fact that the players didn't believe in what they were trying to do or they didn't know what they were trying to do (or perhaps a combination of the two).

Just my opinion though...