First Husker Game.

Not officially a football question, but a general Nebraska gameday question. I will be attending my first Cornhusker game this fall, and will be staying in Omaha. My question for you guys is where to stay in Omaha? downtown? somewhere else? we will want to go out on the friday night before, and saturday after the game and want to know my best options.

Thanks in advance.

Not officially a football question, but a general Nebraska gameday question. I will be attending my first Cornhusker game this fall, and will be staying in Omaha. My question for you guys is where to stay in Omaha? downtown? somewhere else? we will want to go out on the friday night before, and saturday after the game and want to know my best options.

Thanks in advance.

So you are staying in Omaha but traveling to Lincoln to see the game?

I would not stay downtown unless you don't care about money. I would however take the holiday inn off of 72nd and Grover (right next to I-80). It's right in the middle of town and gives you access to the interstate to take you anywhere in town, or right to Lincoln. Or there are a bunch of hotels by 108th and L. Again, close to the interstate. There is a holiday inn at 30th and Dodge, that would put you closer to the downtown scene, but it's not the best part of town.

Stay in Lincoln - I-80 is bumper to bumper on game days. I always wonder what an oblivious traveler thinks going from Chicago to Denver when then the traffic hits on a Saturday morning between Omaha and Lincoln.

LOL they must really think they have the wrong impression of this state.

Thanks in advance.

If you look now, you should be able to find something in Lincoln. Take the other advice you got about Omaha, its a helluva drive on game day unless you leave 4-6 hours before kickoff. There are a bunch of hotels in Lincoln, by their airport. Good luck and see you in Lincoln!! GBR!

I always thought the traffic was worse after the game, but things could have changed. Just make sure you get your *ss up in the morning and get driving so you have an opportunity to partake before the game.

Anyway, since you want to stay in Omaha and want to go out (presumably somewhere other than a bowling alley -- though the Ranch Bowl put on same great concerts back in the day 'til they tore it down for a freakin' Walmart), you'll want to stay near the Old Market downtown. This is now actually possible since they have built more than a few decent hotels nearby. Embassy Suites Downtown/Old Market, Hilton Garden Inn Omaha Downtown, and Courtyard by Marriott – Omaha Downtown all look like they are in good spots. Check out this map.

As has been mentioned, if your budget does not allow for one of the nicer hotels, then definitely look at some of the places along the interstate or in Western Omaha so you can get a head start on saturday's drive.

Anyway, since you want to stay in Omaha and want to go out (presumably somewhere other than a bowling alley -- though the Ranch Bowl put on same great concerts back in the day 'til they tore it down for a freakin' Walmart), you'll want to stay near the Old Market downtown. This is now actually possible since they have built more than a few decent hotels nearby.

Just to clarify: the Ranch Bowl wasn't torn down because Walmart wanted to build a store there. It was torn down because it wasn't making enough money to keep it open. Once they closed their doors, Walmart decided that it might be a good potential spot to build one of their stores.

I went to the Ranch Bowl many times, but honestly, I think it was highly over rated. Everything was outdated (i.e., sound equipment) and the place was a dump.

Now everyone is getting all bent out of shape because Walmart is building there and people feel this will make that part of 72nd look bad. I guess they would have rather seen an old run down building with weeds growing through the cracked concrete... Yeah, I guess that looks much better.

Anyway, since you want to stay in Omaha and want to go out (presumably somewhere other than a bowling alley -- though the Ranch Bowl put on same great concerts back in the day 'til they tore it down for a freakin' Walmart), you'll want to stay near the Old Market downtown. This is now actually possible since they have built more than a few decent hotels nearby.

Just to clarify: the Ranch Bowl wasn't torn down because Walmart wanted to build a store there. It was torn down because it wasn't making enough money to keep it open. Once they closed their doors, Walmart decided that it might be a good potential spot to build one of their stores.

I went to the Ranch Bowl many times, but honestly, I think it was highly over rated. Everything was outdated (i.e., sound equipment) and the place was a dump.

Now everyone is getting all bent out of shape because Walmart is building there and people feel this will make that part of 72nd look bad. I guess they would have rather seen an old run down building with weeds growing through the cracked concrete... Yeah, I guess that looks much better.

I agree in that Walmart isnt to blame for the demise of the Ranch Bowl... Ranch Bowl sank itself although they did have some of the best concerts in town. Veruca Salt, The Donnas, Overkill... those were good times!

Its not that we dont want to stay in Lincoln, but we have to bring our wives, who are, for a lack of a better term, hotel snobs. Therefore the nicest hotel in Lincoln (the cornhusker) is sold out. Is there anything comparable in Lincoln? My buddy and I would stay at a Motel 6 no problem, but the women wont. So we have to stay in something like a Courtyard or Marriott, Hilton....you get the gist.

And we are coming from the East Coast, so its easier to fly in and out of Omaha.

Cant wait, I hope the great things Ive heard about the NU fans holds true.

Its not that we dont want to stay in Lincoln, but we have to bring our wives, who are, for a lack of a better term, hotel snobs. Therefore the nicest hotel in Lincoln (the cornhusker) is sold out. Is there anything comparable in Lincoln? My buddy and I would stay at a Motel 6 no problem, but the women wont. So we have to stay in something like a Courtyard or Marriott, Hilton....you get the gist.

And we are coming from the East Coast, so its easier to fly in and out of Omaha.

Cant wait, I hope the great things Ive heard about the NU fans holds true.

dbetz i think he's a hokie fan. But what I would do is stay in Lincoln at a motel 6 or the like and have the wives drive down from Omaha! :lol: