Phil Steele's big 12 team thoughts?

And that guy's credentials as a College Football Guru are what....? He flew over some of the states that the colleges are located in? Oh well...if you get your football information from the New York Times, you get what you've paid for...

Village Idiot > Phil Steele + Paul Myerberg

I'm not sure what his specific credentials are

I'm guessing he was dissing the blog I linked to which rated Iowa State 86th in its countdown of all of the teams in FBS. I could find no credentials for him (other than he probably gets paid to write about college football), and given who he has rated 2 spots higher than Iowa State, I have to question his ratings:

The Quad Countdown: No. 84 Kansas State:

Tidbit (2008 schedule edition): K-State backed out of a home date on Sept. 6 with Fresno State, likely because it was getting tired of one-sided losses at the hands of the Bulldogs (by 45-21 in 2004, by 45-29 last fall). To replace the Wildcats, Fresno added Rutgers; K-State replaced the Bulldogs with powerful Montana State. Gutsy move by Prince and K-State.

Phil Steele < Village Idiot.... <_<

Not in the slightest, his preseason mag is far and away the best available on the market. Honestly, you're trying to discount him on the basis that he's not hyping your recently 3-9 football team? That's a laugh.

DON'T get me started on who one of those victories was over..... :box

Ah yes, that mythical afternoon when your Cyclones defeated the Colorado Buffaloes and the myth of competent officiating in the Big XII at the exact same time. Truly, that was a day to remember.

I can tell you for certain that my Buffs remember it well, but we'll get to that in November.

No offense, but I find it quite interesting a CU fan would question officiating after the debacle of 5 downs officiating against Mizzou some years ago. Unfortunately the official in charge of that mess happened to be from Nebraska.

Not in the slightest, his preseason mag is far and away the best available on the market. Honestly, you're trying to discount him on the basis that he's not hyping your recently 3-9 football team? That's a laugh.

Ah yes, that mythical afternoon when your Cyclones defeated the Colorado Buffaloes and the myth of competent officiating in the Big XII at the exact same time. Truly, that was a day to remember.

I can tell you for certain that my Buffs remember it well, but we'll get to that in November.

No offense, but I find it quite interesting a CU fan would question officiating after the debacle of 5 downs officiating against Mizzou some years ago. Unfortunately the official in charge of that mess happened to be from Nebraska.

That's called "selective memory".

my high school principal

So because of the 5th down incident Colorado fans are no longer allowed to ever call out officials when they royally and blatantly screw the pooch? Is that honestly what you're saying here? It's been 18 years man, get over it already!

And aside from that, if you really want to have this debate, let's talk about Missouri's Omniturf field, a field that turned into an icerink if players weren't wearing a specific cleat designed to get traction on this Omniturf stuff, though Mizzou never informed CU of this extremely necessary equipment.

Check out all of the slips CU has on the final drive of this game alone:

1. At the 0:15 mark Mike Prichard slips when he was wide open for an incoming pass.

2. At 1:10 Eric Bienemy slips and falls over unprovoked in the middle of open field while running the ball.

3. At 2:15 Eric Bienemy slips and falls AGAIN, though at least this time there were some players within 5 yards of him.

4. Probably the most egregious when considered in the context of the game, CU tight end John Bowman slips and falls at the 2:45 mark when the end zone was WIDE OPEN in front of him (better view at the 3:30 mark). Without that crap field, this play would have ensured that CU wouldn't have even needed 1st down (let alone 5th) to get into the end zone.

Mind you, that's 4 blooper worthy, absolutely unbelievable slips that CU players had on one drive. One drive! 4 plays out of 12 (not counting the two spikes) that ended not with a tackle or an incompletion, but with a player slipping on the field. That's 33% of the plays - imagine how many yards and opportunities CU lost on account of that horrible synthetic fiber... if CU had been wearing the same cleats Mizzou was sporting that day, the Buffs would have won by 40.

Oh, and by the way, Missouri's already had their revenge for the 5th down. In the 1997 game CU had a touchdown called back for having 12 players on the field when in fact they only had 11. CU ended up losing that game 41-31. Yeah, Mizzou didn't get an MNC out of their good fortune, but we're talking about Missouri here... I mean, what do you expect? :dunno

The cupboard is bare. There are 12 teams (if you count Baylor) and 11 positions. So, an average team should have one player on each of the four offensive and defensive teams. That makes 8. Nebraska has 8. Very average. And no member of the first team defense. The problem wasn't just Callahan. We don't don't have the players of a top 40 team. On another thread we don't have any members on a national list of top ten players by any position. And we won't have a player drafted in the NFL top fifty. It is going to take a long time to turn this around.

The cupboard is bare. There are 12 teams (if you count Baylor) and 11 positions. So, an average team should have one player on each of the four offensive and defensive teams. That makes 8. Nebraska has 8. Very average. And no member of the first team defense. The problem wasn't just Callahan. We don't don't have the players of a top 40 team. On another thread we don't have any members on a national list of top ten players by any position. And we won't have a player drafted in the NFL top fifty. It is going to take a long time to turn this around.

What exactly are you basing this information on, "The cupboard is bare"?! It's apparent that you didn't watch any of the games last year. If you did, you would notice that this team quit on the coaches as well as the coaches (Cosgrove) quitting on the team! I don't care if you have 11 all american blue chippers on the team, if they quit, they won't do squat!

From the looks of your comment, we shouldn't even field a team because according to you, we don't have any players that amount to squat! (which I find to be a complete mountain of BS by the way!)

What exactly are you basing this information on, "The cupboard is bare"?! It's apparent that you didn't watch any of the games last year. If you did, you would notice that this team quit on the coaches as well as the coaches (Cosgrove) quitting on the team! I don't care if you have 11 all american blue chippers on the team, if they quit, they won't do squat!

From the looks of your comment, we shouldn't even field a team because according to you, we don't have any players that amount to squat! (which I find to be a complete mountain of BS by the way!)

Agreed. The "cupboard is bare" argument in the case of the current Huskers team is absolutely absurd. According to Rivals, Nebraska had the #5 ranked recruiting class in 2005, the #20 class in 2006, and the #13 class in 2007. Cupboard is bare my ass, the cupboard is stocked more full than it is at 98% of the other D-1 programs in the country.

By comparison, when Hawkins took over in Boulder the Buffs had brought in the 19th, 49th and 43rd ranked classes in the country over Barnett's last 3 years. Now that, my friend, qualifies as a bare cupboard.

Agreed. The "cupboard is bare" argument in the case of the current Huskers team is absolutely absurd. According to Rivals, Nebraska had the #5 ranked recruiting class in 2005, the #20 class in 2006, and the #13 class in 2007. Cupboard is bare my ass, the cupboard is stocked more full than it is at 98% of the other D-1 programs in the country.

By comparison, when Hawkins took over in Boulder the Buffs had brought in the 19th, 49th and 43rd ranked classes in the country over Barnett's last 3 years. Now that, my friend, qualifies as a bare cupboard.

Do you have any links to those interesting stats??

I don't remember seeing us in the top 10 in recruiting (ever) and saying we're more fully stocked than 98% of the rest of the D-1 programs in the country??? Let's see 98% x 120 teams..That's only 2.4 teams better stocked than us?

Wow! I feel better about winning it all this season.

Do you have any links to those interesting stats??

I don't remember seeing us in the top 10 in recruiting (ever) and saying we're more fully stocked than 98% of the rest of the D-1 programs in the country??? Let's see 98% x 120 teams..That's only 2.4 teams better stocked than us?

Wow! I feel better about winning it all this season.

http://rivals100.rivals.com/TeamRank.asp?p...0&year=2007

There's the 2007 Rivals recruiting rankings where kNU ranked 13th nationally, there's a drop down menu at the top that will let you see the 2006 and 2005 rankings.

The 98% comment was an exaggeration, but my point should have been pretty clear regardless... there's a hell of a lot of programs out there that would love to have a "bare cupboard" like the one Nebraska's got right now.