Coach Pelini continues hard stance

I heard from one of my friends that works for one of the local tv stations that Coach Pelini pulled Sean Callahan into his office earlier this week and Callahan practically left in tears when told to stay away from "His" recruits. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

I really hope that this is not true.

I heard from one of my friends that works for one of the local tv stations that Coach Pelini pulled Sean Callahan into his office earlier this week and Callahan practically left in tears when told to stay away from "His" recruits. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

I really hope that this is not true.

If true, it would appear a little over-the-top. I really hope it's not.

I find it a little hard to believe. Whether you like the recruiting-services or not they are a reality, pissing Callahan off would be a dumb move. I can believe Bo said something but I have a hard time believing Callahan really got lit-into. Sounds like a blown-up rumor IMO.

• 2 weeks later...

I find it a little hard to believe. Whether you like the recruiting-services or not they are a reality, pissing Callahan off would be a dumb move. I can believe Bo said something but I have a hard time believing Callahan really got lit-into. Sounds like a blown-up rumor IMO.

What does it matter if Pelini pisses off Callahan?

What does it matter if Pelini pisses off Callahan?

:yeah go bo

Why does it matter if it's true? If anything, Callahan and company should have done the same thing.

You have to remember, other fans, coaches, boosters, etc., read a ton of boards just to get other teams information about recruits. Why in the world should they be essentially given free access to what is going on with our recruiting so they know how to counter-act it?

Does it hurt the fans with less content? Sure. But in the long run, although you may not believe it, this does help our team.

Plus, it helps the recruits so they are not constantly getting the crap bugged out of them. Getting call after call from recruiting service, then you have to worry about school, possibly work, homework, practice, etc.,? C'mon, that's just a bit much.

The reality is -- these recruiting services essentially try to interrogate a 16, 17 or 18 year old kid and his family so they can make a buck. By basically questioning a KID they do not know, they profit from it.

It's just silly the lengths that some of these reporters go to in trying to get the 'scoop'.

And do not feel bad for Sean Callahan. He isn't the first reporter to be dragged into a coaches office only to be told to back off. He's just unlucky that it had to be someone with the attitude of Bo Pelini. :lol:

From a recruiting perspective alone, I don't have a problem with it. What would bother me about it if true is that Pelini is letting this kind of thing get to him. He has to recognize that he can't control this to any great extent - while he can threaten the reporter or the reporter's employer with a denial of access in general, that's not a very credible threat over time, and it won't apply to so-called "national" media. Not to mention that the media can also backdoor him with influential boosters. If he bombs his first year, this is the kind of thing that would be harped on by the media. It distracts the players and the program if it's blown up. In short, it affects the image - and image, while not everything, is important.

Now, do I like the fire (again, assuming it's true)? Absolutely. That's one of Bo's strengths. He just doesn't need to let it become a negative. Pick your battles, in other words.

From a recruiting perspective alone, I don't have a problem with it. What would bother me about it if true is that Pelini is letting this kind of thing get to him. He has to recognize that he can't control this to any great extent - while he can threaten the reporter or the reporter's employer with a denial of access in general, that's not a very credible threat over time, and it won't apply to so-called "national" media. Not to mention that the media can also backdoor him with influential boosters. If he bombs his first year, this is the kind of thing that would be harped on by the media. It distracts the players and the program if it's blown up. In short, it affects the image - and image, while not everything, is important.

Now, do I like the fire (again, assuming it's true)? Absolutely. That's one of Bo's strengths. He just doesn't need to let it become a negative. Pick your battles, in other words.

Actually, the lack of information you see now is a direct result of not only Bo's wishes, but of the entire AD from TO on down. They have let it be known to EVERYONE they want the leaks in information to stop and have shown the lengths they are willing to go to in making it stop.

Compare this recruiting cycle to years past when we knew who our top recruiting targets were. Compare this to years past when we would have a ton of information regarding Hunter's DUI, Nicks' run-in with the law, Blue and Suh's injury, Andy's incident, Josh Williams' run-in and access to practices. The quality information has been pretty much zero to none.

Really, the average fan has no business knowing most of what goes on. Some of the stuff that leaks only creates a negative perception of our program or it gets blown out of proportion by our rather large fan base.

Bo needed to put some of these reporters in their place, rather than irritating recruits, players and personnel with some of the actions and things that were being said, not said and even twisted in the wrong ways.

Sean just happened to be the guinea pig to show all the reporters for Nebraska football that he would not tolerate some of the same stuff that went on in past years.

• 2 weeks later...

Actually, the lack of information you see now is a direct result of not only Bo's wishes, but of the entire AD from TO on down. They have let it be known to EVERYONE they want the leaks in information to stop and have shown the lengths they are willing to go to in making it stop.

Compare this recruiting cycle to years past when we knew who our top recruiting targets were. Compare this to years past when we would have a ton of information regarding Hunter's DUI, Nicks' run-in with the law, Blue and Suh's injury, Andy's incident, Josh Williams' run-in and access to practices. The quality information has been pretty much zero to none.

Really, the average fan has no business knowing most of what goes on. Some of the stuff that leaks only creates a negative perception of our program or it gets blown out of proportion by our rather large fan base.

Bo needed to put some of these reporters in their place, rather than irritating recruits, players and personnel with some of the actions and things that were being said, not said and even twisted in the wrong ways.

Sean just happened to be the guinea pig to show all the reporters for Nebraska football that he would not tolerate some of the same stuff that went on in past years.

I posted something months back about one of the players I had heard from a neighbor of mine whos son plays for the Huskers. She came over and said she got calls and told me to take it off the board and won't talk to me since. Big Brother is watching.