Lucky Declared Top Two RB for 2009 NFL Draft

Overall, Lucky is a solid run block and pass catcher. One big knock on him is his yards-after-contact stats. Second chance yards separate the starting and journeyman RB's in the NFL. Also, he needs to get the vision back like he had in the 06-07 year. I marveled at the way he could find a crease that didn't look to be open, and suddenly you would see him slip through. Last year for some reason, he looked to be more mechanical in his running. Perhaps he was waiting too long for holes to open up where it was supposed to be open, instead of using his vision to cut back where an opening would appear like in the 06-07 season. He had good stats last year (1010-705), but I feel he could be a (1500-1000) guy if he steps it up a notch. I guess that will depend on the OL and what types of play calling we'll see. I can't wait for September to see what we have or don't have.

Actually, a lot of NFL teams have been using a 2 back system with one big back and another who can stretch the field as a receiver. Lucky reminds me of Brian Westbrook type, one who may not be the best runner in the league, but does a lot of damage on screens and receiving out of the backfield.

Keeping in mind that Brian Westbrook ran for over 1,300 yards last year with a 4.8 yard average and is considered one of the best runners in the league. I'd like to see the fullback return in the pros, but the single back set continues to dominate.

Lucky has something going in his favor that a lot of people seem to be discounting and that is his prowess in the passing game. He is a tremendous receiver out of the backfield and that is something that NFL teams really covet. He is also terrific as a pass blocker. His skill set should make him a early round draft pick if he has a similar season as last year and he could climb very high with a breakout year.

Not discounting it at all. Coaches love a good blocking & receiving back. But first order of business remains running and Lucky just doesn't hit the hole as a top flight back should, nor has he displayed the elusiveness of a special teams returner. He may work wonders splitting duty with a Castille or Helu, allowing for creative game plans, but the NFL doesn't always look kindly on hybrids.

Actually, a lot of NFL teams have been using a 2 back system with one big back and another who can stretch the field as a receiver. Lucky reminds me of Brian Westbrook type, one who may not be the best runner in the league, but does a lot of damage on screens and receiving out of the backfield.

strangely enough so does watson, he has said he wants to use lucky like how the eagles use westbrook(i'd imagine having an i with him and Q with lucky motioning to the slot and q taking the rock and tee of on some poor mook.

Phil Steele has him as the #5 back overall and a 3rd team All American. If he can produce this year and improve on what he has done, coming back will prove to be a very wise decision.

Steele's assessment seems closer to the mark, but still rather optimistic. I like Lucky because he is a Husker and he has stuck with the program. As it were though, others opinions of his talent vs the rest of the nation are much higher than mine. I see him as maybe a top 10 back, or maybe not quite. But top two seems a serious, serious stretch. That said, I hope these pundits are correct.

Lucky has something going in his favor that a lot of people seem to be discounting and that is his prowess in the passing game. He is a tremendous receiver out of the backfield and that is something that NFL teams really covet. He is also terrific as a pass blocker. His skill set should make him a early round draft pick if he has a similar season as last year and he could climb very high with a breakout year.

My contention has always been that Lucky could make it in the NFL as a receiver --- more so than as a RB. Once again, and others seem to concur on this --- Marlon falls into tackles (going down of his own accord before contact), he has limited vision in space, is hesitant to hit a crease, and does not follow blocks well --- at least by NFL standards. But,..... he has excellent speed, has great hands, runs nice routes, and is very dangerous with the ball in space (he seems really comfortable in the open field and his cutting ability and speed are utilized well in the open field). I'd think a crafty GM in the NFL would snatch Lucky up in the 4th round or so, maybe fifth, and convert him to a receiver.

I don't think Lucky gets enough credit for what he has done and what he is. Apparently people expected him to single handedly bring Nebraska to three or four national titles while he was here. Anything less is a disappointment.

I don't think having him ranked that high is all too unreasonable. He'll be great this year running behind one of the best o-lines in the Big XII. If he gets anywhere near 1500yds rushing 500yds receiving, he'll go in the first three rounds of the draft for sure. I wouldn't be surprised if he went in the first round if he had a stellar year.

He may be one of the top backs, but just like this year's draft with regards to wide receiver may not go until the 2nd round. Lucky is what he is. I think robsker summed him up pretty well. He has good hands, great speed, and is very dangerous in space. It's all going to depend on the needs of each individual NFL team with regards to where he gets drafted. If there are a bunch of teams needing a big bruising back, then he won't get drafted as one of the top 2 backs.

Nobody knows the future but I agree with many on this post. He needs to step up and go 100% every down. He was too afraid of getting hurt last year. With the line we have, there is no excuse for him not to be a great rb. One thing is for sure, he better step it up because the young talent on the team at that position are no slouches. I watched last year, flew into Omaha and watched the KSU game. You could actually see Lucky pick it up after one of the young guys came in and banged heads. It was very noticable and I don't think this coaching staff is gonna keep putting a guy on the field that doesn't put everything into the game. Then again last year Lucky wasn't the only one doing that. It seemed to be acceptable by the old coaching staff. So, who knows, I can't wait to watch it unfold. :thumbs