Who was the best underrated player.

Im talking about someone who no one saw coming. Im asking this question because im getting some slack for my we believe pitch. For what i remember some of the better players came from no where. People that were brought into this program and made into great players. Thats what i believe in. Not miracles but in the honor, tradition, and work ethic of this school. Im sure there will be losses, but if we show our team that we believe in them. And if we show the coaches that we believe in them, then anything is possible. It will make them want to work hard for us, for the coaches and the fans. I believe to believe in the impossible, maybe improble but that its possible to do anything you put your mind to.

Ben

We Believe

The 1st player that came to mind was Isaiah Moses Walter Hipp

He showed up in Lincoln unannounced from Chapin, S.C., in 1976 and went on to become an All-Big Eight running back the next year.

As a high school senior, he had received letters from a number of big football schools but he was not seriously recruited.

The only correspondence he had with Nebraska was with the admissions office, he said, and he's the one who initiated contact.

"I always was a Nebraska fan," he said. "Most people in the neighborhood, when the annual game was played on Thanksgiving Day against Oklahoma, rooted for Oklahoma. I always pulled for Nebraska. I believed in the tradition. I loved to win," Hipp said.

In the fall of 1976, Hipp traveled 1,800 miles to Lincoln. He said he was among 100 walk-ons who showed up for fall practice.

"When I went into the auditorium, all the blue-chippers and lettermen were there, and everybody walked up and asked, 'How can we help you?' " Hipp recalled. "I told him that I came to play football."

...The unknown player from South Carolina -- who came to Nebraska named Isaiah Moses Hipp -- achieved instant celebrity as I.M. Hipp in 1977. In his first start, he rushed for a then-record 254 yards against Indiana, the first of five straight 100-yard performances.

He was awarded a scholarship before his junior season. He still ranks sixth on the NU career rushing chart with 2,814 yards.

"I was a guy who, as Coach Osborne says, fell out of the blue," Hipp said.

Hipp said he wouldn't have had the opportunity if it hadn't been for the walk-on program fostered by Bob Devaney and Tom Osborne.

"Walk-ons have been part of the the essence of tradition and winning at Nebraska as far back as I can remember," Hipp said. "It proves that even though sometimes you're looked over and not given the blue-chip label, you can still play for whoever. If you have an aspiration or a dream, you can make it."

"I was a walk-on, and I'm still a walk-on, and I carry it with me in my heart."

The 1st player that came to mind was Isaiah Moses Walter Hipp

He showed up in Lincoln unannounced from Chapin, S.C., in 1976 and went on to become an All-Big Eight running back the next year.

As a high school senior, he had received letters from a number of big football schools but he was not seriously recruited.

The only correspondence he had with Nebraska was with the admissions office, he said, and he's the one who initiated contact.

"I always was a Nebraska fan," he said. "Most people in the neighborhood, when the annual game was played on Thanksgiving Day against Oklahoma, rooted for Oklahoma. I always pulled for Nebraska. I believed in the tradition. I loved to win," Hipp said.

In the fall of 1976, Hipp traveled 1,800 miles to Lincoln. He said he was among 100 walk-ons who showed up for fall practice.

"When I went into the auditorium, all the blue-chippers and lettermen were there, and everybody walked up and asked, 'How can we help you?' " Hipp recalled. "I told him that I came to play football."

...The unknown player from South Carolina -- who came to Nebraska named Isaiah Moses Hipp -- achieved instant celebrity as I.M. Hipp in 1977. In his first start, he rushed for a then-record 254 yards against Indiana, the first of five straight 100-yard performances.

He was awarded a scholarship before his junior season. He still ranks sixth on the NU career rushing chart with 2,814 yards.

"I was a guy who, as Coach Osborne says, fell out of the blue," Hipp said.

Hipp said he wouldn't have had the opportunity if it hadn't been for the walk-on program fostered by Bob Devaney and Tom Osborne.

"Walk-ons have been part of the the essence of tradition and winning at Nebraska as far back as I can remember," Hipp said. "It proves that even though sometimes you're looked over and not given the blue-chip label, you can still play for whoever. If you have an aspiration or a dream, you can make it."

"I was a walk-on, and I'm still a walk-on, and I carry it with me in my heart."

Good read

chris brooks

Why did he only play in one game last season? Link

DATE OPP RESULT REC YDS AVG LNG TD ATT YDS AVG LNG TD FUM LST

9/1 Nevada W 52-10 1 4 4.0 4 0 0 0 0.0 0 0 0 0

9/8 @Wake Forest W 20-17 Did Not Play or No Stats Accumulated

9/15 USC L 49-31 Did Not Play or No Stats Accumulated

9/22 Ball State W 41-40 Did Not Play or No Stats Accumulated

9/29 Iowa State W 35-17 Did Not Play or No Stats Accumulated

10/6 @Missouri L 41-6 Did Not Play or No Stats Accumulated

10/13 Oklahoma State L 45-14 Did Not Play or No Stats Accumulated

10/20 Texas A&M L 36-14 Did Not Play or No Stats Accumulated

10/27 @Texas L 28-25 Did Not Play or No Stats Accumulated

11/3 @Kansas L 76-39 Did Not Play or No Stats Accumulated

11/10 Kansas State W 73-31 Did Not Play or No Stats Accumulated

11/23 @Colorado L 65-51 Did Not Play or No Stats Accumulated

Stats provided by STATS LLC

How about Gerry Gdowski? He was first team All-Big 8 and was an eighth round draft choice of the Saints. Also he finished his career at Nebraska with school records for most td passes in a game (6 vs. Iowa State), and in a season (32 in 1989).

can i go with grix? he took so much heat but was a 3 year starter.

can i go with grix? he took so much heat but was a 3 year starter.

If you mean Courtney Grixby, he had 4 star rating from rivals coming in so I'd hope he would be a starter at some point in his career.

How about Kenny Walker? All American and Big 8 defensive player of the year and the NFL's first deaf player in nearly 20 years.