Who was the best underrated player.

Returning players:

Tyler Wortman

2004 (Redshirt)

A walk-on athlete, Wortman redshirted in his first season in the program.

2005 (Redshirt Freshman)

Wortman was a backup linebacker and scout teamer, but did not play in a game.

2006 (Sophomore)

Wortman did not see game action, but was a key scout team performer.

2007 (Junior)

Wortman served as a backup behind senior Bo Ruud at the SAM linebacker spot, and saw his most extensive action when Ruud was sidelined for three games late in the season. Wortman finished the year with nine total tackles, including three solo stops. He also had three tackles for loss.

Wortman made a pair of tackles against both Texas and Kansas. He had a three-yard tackle for loss at Texas, then had two tackles for loss (7 yards) against the Jayhawks. He capped the year with three tackles at Colorado.

I DO know that there are a bunch of former players out there who we older people may remember but the young guys probably never heard of that deserve some mention...they might not have been walk ons but I think they have really been pushed out of the limelight...

Junior Miller

Monte Anthony

Oudious Lee (someone should have slapped his mother for that name)

Andra Franklin

And my personal favorite...Doug Herrmann. Actually I hated Doug Herrmann. Trying to block him was like trying to block a guy with eight arms...all trying to hit you in the nuts.... <_<

That's the trouble with playing on a dynasty....it's easy for you to be overlooked or forgotten.

Roger Craig....end of story.

How was Roger underrated? Except maybe by Curtis when he was 8.

If Osborne wouldn't have been able to push John Melton uphill in the snow, they would have never signed Roger up...it was that close!

Pretty sure Roger was offered early.

I remember everyone saying he was better than Curtis..Not sure what you mean about Melton..He was in love with Rozier, but Rozier was in JC at the time.

I remember Roger being close to signing with someone else (Iowa?), but the only way he was under rated was maybe by having to split time with a Heisman trophy winner...Was injured half of his Sr. year, but a 2nd rd draft by SF, I tink.

Roger Craig....end of story.

How was Roger underrated? Except maybe by Curtis when he was 8.

If Osborne wouldn't have been able to push John Melton uphill in the snow, they would have never signed Roger up...it was that close!

Pretty sure Roger was offered early.

I remember everyone saying he was better than Curtis..Not sure what you mean about Melton..He was in love with Rozier, but Rozier was in JC at the time.

I remember Roger being close to signing with someone else (Iowa?), but the only way he was under rated was maybe by having to split time with a Heisman trophy winner...Was injured half of his Sr. year, but a 2nd rd draft by SF, I tink.

Nah...he volunteered to move to FB so that Rozier could go full time. Or they asked him to make the switch. Can't remember now which it was...either way, it always seemed to me that he was the forgotten guy back then.

Nah...he volunteered to move to FB so that Rozier could go full time. Or they asked him to make the switch. Can't remember now which it was...either way, it always seemed to me that he was the forgotten guy back then.

Roger did play some FB on the "I' formation. He had a nagging ankle sprain that hampered him virtually his entire senior year. Doug Wilkening played FB most of the time in 1982.

Back then, Nebraska was also experimenting with a split back formation trying to get both Craig & Rozier in the same backfield, called the "weak set".

While there was more of a running threat with Craig & Rozier in the same backfield, Osborne also said he didn't want to "take a great I-back and turn him into an average fullback ."

Roger did play some FB on the "I' formation. He had a nagging ankle sprain that hampered him virtually his entire senior year. Doug Wilkening played FB most of the time in 1982.

Back then, Nebraska was also experimenting with a split back formation trying to get both Craig & Rozier in the same backfield, called the "weak set".

While there was more of a running threat with Craig & Rozier in the same backfield, Osborne also said he didn't want to "take a great I-back and turn him into an average fullback ."

Seemed to be a good experience for him though..If I remember right, SF liked his FullBack experience and even had him blocking for Wendell Tyler (I remember thinking that some of Bill Walsh's plays looked a little familiar).

I really like the suggestion of Zack Taylor as the recent (semi-recent player) --- what great heart and passion for the game, the team, and the fans. He not only was underrated but also was a serious over-achiever --- a wonderful Husker.

As for going a little it farther back but still fairly recent how about two guys Scott Shanle and our all-time leading tackler Barrett Ruud. Both were maligned by many of us (myself included in the case of Shanle) and yet both have really shown themselves to be really solid NFL players.

Farther back still, I go with Tomich.