JaMichael Rozier (son of mike)

have we offered him anything? or is he interested?

He's just a junior-to-be. So no formal offer can come for another 1 1/2 months.

As long as TO is working for us, any offspring of Mike Rozier will be interested in coming to Lincoln. You could refer to TO as Rozier's father and he likely would not correct you.

• 7 months later...

OWH article:

Son shows flashes of Rozier's style

BY JON NYATAWA

WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER

LINCOLN - Every time Mike Rozier has a conversation about his 17-year-old son's football abilities, he finds himself addressing the instinctual comparison commonly made by casual observers.

They see a shifty high school running back with a face that resembles his father's, wearing the number 30 on his jersey, spinning and sprinting past defenders. Naturally, they say, the Roziers - Mike and JaMichael - are strikingly similar on the football field.

"Of course, I'm not going to say it," Mike Rozier said from his New Jersey home. "I think everybody has different running styles."

But Rozier, 47, knows his assessments aren't too persuasive. Others will always rate JaMichael's football successes somewhat unfairly, just because of what his father did.

So Rozier, the 1983 Heisman Trophy winner and Nebraska's all-time leading rusher, said he tries to relay that message as often as he can.

"I told him that people are going to look at you and because of your father, they're going to put a lot of pressure on you," he said.

But JaMichael doesn't mind. Playing football was his choice. He doesn't play, hoping that someone mentions his father and offers up special treatment or extra attention. He genuinely enjoys it.

He's one year away from completing his high school career with a Class 5A team that's just outside of Houston. He'll enter the season as the team's starting running back - its workhorse.

"He's kind of a bull when you give him the football," Klein Collins coach Drew Svoboda said. "He almost has a fullback's mentality when he's running the football. He shows up every day ready to work."

And JaMichael's hoping that his workmanlike mentality will earn him a college scholarship. He was one of several soon-to-be seniors on Nebraska's campus last weekend. He attended a camp in Lincoln last summer.

But he's 5-foot-8 and roughly 180 pounds, hardly the intimidating body type that most perceive is ideal for a Big 12 back.

"If he gets a scholarship, I don't care where he goes," Mike Rozier said. "But I told him, I said, 'Whatever you do, you can't go to Oklahoma.' "

Rozier did speak with pride when he mentioned the thought of seeing his son wear Husker red, although he was cautious not to compare his son's future to his past.

Everyone else takes care of that, even in Texas, where Rozier played for the NFL's Houston Oilers from 1985 through 1990.

JaMichael's teammates know of his dad. The fans, especially those well-versed in their Oiler history, know too. But Svoboda said the young Rozier handles it better than most.

"It's good that everybody knows who you are, but when you're constantly being compared to a Heisman Trophy running back, being able to meet those expectations is pretty challenging," Svoboda said. "JaMichael does a great job."

'Whatever you do, you can't go to Oklahoma.' "

thats funny

Yes that is the part that caught me the most(even without the bolded word). Atta boy Mike, atta boy. It sounds like if NU offered he'd never take another visit. He's a bit small but so was Sproles, i say keep looking at the kid.

im sure if BC was still our HC he would even think about taking him, because of his size