Defense after coz

I have some concern that although our d will be improved that it will still have some hiccups.

Its there first season in a new scheme.

The offense is getting simplified so we should have plenty of offense to win some games.

Our D will be what determines if we can contend for a north division or Big 12 title.

So how do you think our D performs this season??

Defense is so much about passion. Persuit to the ball and not being denied. I feel that if you have any football soul, you have to love to play for Pelini.

Whether he was truthful or not, Chase Daniels said last year's D was "like a high school team". I don't think that this year's D will be so much simpler, but MUCH less predictable. Last year I felt it was the "defense of the week"; a different defense variation each week, that didn't change during the game. After a couple of series the opponent knew exactly how to attack the D for the rest of the game. (Except Texas. It took them 3 quarters)

It's really hard to say at this point. Where Coz's faults ended and lack of talent began is really the primary point of argument among Husker fans. I happen to shift most of the burden on the coaching staff. I think there was a lot of talent that was poorly coached, not properly motivated, and playing in ridiculous and complicated schemes. Coz displayed no ability to adjust. The Mizzou game is a perfect example. Players thought about things too much, a consequence of the This Week in Defense show Coz was running.

Pelini, as I've mentioned before, is a fundamentally different coach. He's a brilliant coordinator, but his schemes are designed to maximize the talent and minimize the risk, be simple enough to work almost immediately, and get the whole defense to act as a one organism going to the ball. I see a drastic and shocking improvement coming. I think we have some talent but also some inexperience. The good news is we've got four good weeks plus a bi to get where we need to be by conference play. Barring major injuries this should be a successful season by anyone's measuring stick.

IMO, We have better talent now then In 2003 when Pelini was here. I have heard alot of people say if Pelini can get our defence in the top 50-60 we should be able to hit 8-4 pretty easily. From what I saw in the spring game, It appeared as If Our defence was faster, stronger , and had the passion to Play like true blackshirt's. Also it looked as if Our defence was Better in the spring game then It was Most /all of last season. I will step out on a limb and say our defence will surprised alot of people. idk how good they will be but knowing how Pelini has been with defence's every place he has went our defenece may be better then it was in 2003. If I had to predict i would say our defence will be in the top 20 in the nation.

Looking at some of the LSU uploads on youtube, I think we may (since there's little info out) see more zone coverages from the defense. Probably some cover-2, robber, and DL drop cover. LSU did a lot of zone blitz, but we don't have a Dorsey, so it will depend upon certain upperclassmen to step up and lead.

if the offense is better than last year at running the ball, and is able to sustain drives, the defense will not have to be out on the field as long as they were last year.

if the defense makes half of the plays that they missed last year, NU wins 3 of the 6 that they lost.

one thing for sure is that there is going to be halftime adjustments on both sides of the ball.

but to be honest with everyone, i will be happy seeing 4 qtrs of football, being played with passion, unlike last year where you could see that after the 3rd qtr (sometimes at the beginning) half of the team rolled over and seemed to quit

if the offense is better than last year at running the ball, and is able to sustain drives, the defense will not have to be out on the field as long as they were last year.

if the defense makes half of the plays that they missed last year, NU wins 3 of the 6 that they lost.

one thing for sure is that there is going to be halftime adjustments on both sides of the ball.

but to be honest with everyone, i will be happy seeing 4 qtrs of football, being played with passion, unlike last year where you could see that after the 3rd qtr (sometimes at the beginning) half of the team rolled over and seemed to quit

halftime adjustments....whats that? I think I remember one time at band camp they were talking about that, but I just thought it was getting the tuba player to keep up with the triangle players... :corndance

Pelini (both of them) get the Blackshirt mentality.

Coz didn't have that, and there were little, if any, defensive adjustments or coaching going on. Last year, the defense just looked lost and apathetic.

Plus, I think the whole atmosphere will be different this year - with a much better coaching staff in place and a real AD around, ex-players welcome on the sidelines and proper traditions restored.

I think our schedule favors a good timetable for defensive development, too.

I was resigning myself to 7-5, but I think 8-4 is really possible. :box

Who knows? Maybe Cody Glenn turns into Terrel Farley (on the field, NOT off it).

Our defense can honestly only go up from here. We have the talent to be a much better defense and we've seen what Pelini can do with a defense personally. I for one have alot of confidence that our defense will be much better, but we won't know for sure until that first defensive series will we.

Our defense can honestly only go up from here. We have the talent to be a much better defense and we've seen what Pelini can do with a defense personally. I for one have alot of confidence that our defense will be much better, but we won't know for sure until that first defensive series will we.

Pelini's defense didn't fair to well vs the spread in the past. We will see what happens now that Missouri has the better talent on both sides of the ball.