Dixon's Ready To Rumble

Dixon's Ready To Rumble

By CHRIS HOFFMAN

Highlands Today

Published: July 25, 2008

LINCOLN, Neb. - Kevin Dixon had just finished his morning workout on Tuesday, and a dictionary-sized playbook awaited him when he returned to his dorm room.

The former Sebring football star and current Nebraska Cornhusker is entrenched in all things football these days, looking forward to the upcoming season and a new direction in Huskerland.

"It's been like a breath of fresh air around here with Coach (Bo) Pelini after the atmosphere around the team last season," Dixon said during a recent telephone interview with Highlands Today. "I can't wait to get on the field. Just talking about the upcoming season has me hyped up."

Dixon, the former Blue Streak defensive monster, has made a name for himself at Nebraska after just his first season on the Huskers' defensive line.

The 6-foot-3, 285-pound defensive tackle made a strong impression on the new coaching staff during spring practice after Dixon added strength and quickness to his game after winter conditioning.

"I want my senior year to be a breakout season for me," Dixon said. "So I dedicated myself to staying in the weight room and work on getting stronger and faster and do whatever it takes to get Nebraska to a bowl game."

In Dixon's first year with Nebraska, he played in all 12 games, earning starts against Wake Forest, USC, Ball State and Oklahoma State, while finishing the season with 19 tackles, including 11 solo and three tackles for loss.

But Dixon, who was a transfer from Garden City (Kan.) Community College, didn't wait long to make his presence known on campus, as the former Streak intercepted a pass in a Nebraska victory over Nevada in the season opener - a game that would change his season.

"I was doing really well in fall practice and was told I would be a starting defensive tackle, but I sprained my ankle and couldn't practice too much leading up to the Nevada game," Dixon said. "That injury actually was a blessing in disguise because the starter Ty Steinkuhler went down with an injury on the first play of the game and I took over.

"I knew that this was my opportunity and I wasn't going to blow it. I was looking at the quarterback the whole time and batted the pass down but got my hands on it and collected the interception."

Dixon played his best football during a three-game stretch against top-flight competition in Iowa State, Missouri and Oklahoma State, where he amassed 12 of his 19 tackles. Against BCS-bound Missouri, he had a season-high six tackles.

But the best has yet to come for this former Streak, and he promises to put on a defensive display this season under defensive-minded head coach Pelini.

"Last season, I was getting used to a new environment and new school - a new everything," Dixon said. "I was really getting by on ability, but this season I've been studying the new playbook and working to get my game as sharp as it can be. "

When asked about his relationship with his new coach, Dixon just laughed.

"I love Bo," said the Husker defensive tackle. "He's a player's coach and it says a lot to come here after winning a national championship. Bo is going to take the reigns off the defense this season and let us work some magic."

Dixon says Pelini's coaching style differs drastically from former coach Bill Callahan, and that he's already had several one-on-one sessions with his new coach.

"Bo is a lot more hands-on than Coach Callahan was," Dixon said. "Especially with the defense. Bo is a defensive guy and will always play straight with you.

"He's come up to me numerous times and tells me 'You're better than that Dixon. Let's get it together Kev.'

"I'm still only 21 years old but I'm growing up fast here at Nebraska."

In 2007, Nebraska started off strong but faded down the stretch to a 5-7 record, but the season was marred by questions of Coach Callahan's job status and pressure from the media and alumni for a return to glory.

Dixon was asked constantly about Callahan, and he said the scrutiny really took its toll on the whole football team.

"As a football team, we didn't help matters much by losing five in a row late in the season," Dixon said. "But I think the team was just worn down by all the speculation and rumors hovering over the football team and Callahan as the coach.

"You get asked the same question a hundred times a day, and that's going to wear you down to the point that is almost all you're focused on."

Callahan was fired as head coach and the Pelini era has begun. And according to Dixon, it will be a banner start to his coaching career at Nebraska.

"The whole team is rallying around Bo," Dixon said. "Speaking for myself, I wish the season started tomorrow. I literally can't wait to put the helmet on and walk into a packed Memorial Stadium."

With a new coaching staff and being a key member of a solid Nebraska defense, Dixon has kept in the back of his mind the chance the NFL might come knocking on his door next April.

His perfect blend of strength and speed coupled with the versatility to play either interior lineman positions could make for an attractive package to an NFL franchise, but none of that matters to Dixon as fall training camp approaches.

"Right now, I'm just focused on getting ready for the season," Dixon said. "But I do think about the NFL and still have my dreams, but they're tucked away right now.

"The best thing that I can do for Nebraska football and myself is to play at the highest level I can and let the chips fall where they may."

Nebraska kicks off the 2008 college football season at home against Western Michigan on Aug. 30.

KEVIN DIXON

No. 97 - Defensive Tackle

6-foot-3, 280 pounds

Senior transfer from Garden City CC

Sebring High School graduate

2008 Outlook: The senior defensive lineman was one of several defenders to make a strong impression on the new Nebraska coaching staff during spring practice. Dixon had an outstanding winter conditioning session and showed his increased strength and quickness during spring ball. Enters fall camp looking to battle for a starting job on a defensive line that returns all four starters. He has the versatility to play either interior position. - Huskers.com

Nice to see some passion from the guys up front. It'll be interesting to see what that group can do. Seems that all we've talked about is how much these guys seemed to have under performed the past few years like Suh, Turner, Potter.

ya its good to see the passion coming back, its been missing, and it seems like Huskerland is again excited for football...GBR!