Dailey 1 and done?

Just anything but WR. If Daily ends up not starting at QB, he needs to be in the backfield.

I mean, why on earth would anyone want to put a running QB in as a WR anyway? Arnaz Battle was the glaring exception (and the only converted QB/WR that's met with any success that I can recall).

There's no direct conversion - he might know what the routes are supposed to be, but that doesn't mean he can run them and ball handling and catching are arguably different skills.

However, he's used to contact, has good speed and size and always has the threat of the halfback pass at his disposal. Not to mention he's got a lot of heart and a lot of class, and those are qualities you can never have too much of on the team.

IRISH!

Hines Ward, Antwan Randle-El, Bert Emmanuel are a few that I recall that have were pretty successful changes from QB to WR, Bobby Newcombe wasn't too bad either, he just didn't get much of an opportunity to catch the ball in the option offense.

Oh yeah...though, didn't El and Ward change to WR in the NFL but wer drafted as QBs? I think I was narrowing the memory search to just guys who changed from starting QB to college to WR in college.

The edge I'm thinking he might have in the backfield is that, as a former starter, defenses have to be aware of his ability to throw the ball. Were he just a player recruited as a QB, then moved to another position, the effect wouldn't be as great.

IRISH!

Oh yeah...though, didn't El and Ward change to WR in the NFL but wer drafted as QBs? I think I was narrowing the memory search to just guys who changed from starting QB to college to WR in college.

The edge I'm thinking he might have in the backfield is that, as a former starter, defenses have to be aware of his ability to throw the ball. Were he just a player recruited as a QB, then moved to another position, the effect wouldn't be as great.

IRISH!

Ward was converted in college, I think he played QB as a freshman and was converted before or during his senior season. Randle El and Emmanuel were converted after being drafted. You are correct though,It is rare. I don't think he would be great in the backfield, not with the way he shyed away from contact this year. I think maybe a switch to safety would work. He would be on the opposite side of the ball and reading the quarterback, and since he has the mentality of a quarterback, that could be an added benefit. Wasn't Daniel Bullocks a qb in high school? I think if he can't reclaim the job as qb, i think he and the team could benefit from a fresh start at safety. Maybe a redshirt year to learn and beef up.

Personally, I think he leaves. It would not be out of the realm of possibilities to see him reunite with Solich at Ohio. He has a year to sit out (red shirt), and I wouldn't be surprised if it's evident in spring ball that he's not #1 that he leaves. Can't say that I would blame him either. Look at how ND stuggled when they tried to make Holiday a pocket passer. Look at MU last year trying to make Smith a pocket passer. Some QB's can run very well but not pass too well (ex. Michael Vick) while some QB's are very good passers but can't run well (Marino).

It's sad, but that is always a possibility when you sign on the dotted line that the coach who recruited you won't be there when you finish your college career. If I were a stud high school athlete, I'd pick one of the programs like Cal whose coach decided to stay even though he was wined and dined by other programs. This is what will give OU and USC the advantage in years to come, coaching stability. Saban just f--ked LSU. I wouldn't even consider Texas A&M considering Franchione's frequent departures.

Personally, I am glad to see that most of the posts support JD.....

Granted, his play at QB really cost NU at times last year.....but that doesn't necessarily make him a horrible player or person !!!!!

Simply means that JD wasn't ready or able to run the WCO....He came here expecting to run the option 1st and throw 2nd.....

Absolutely NO PLAYER ON THIS TEAM put more time and effort into making this thing work..... He poured his soul into learning the system.... and to "run the kid into the ground" like some people have is just plain unfair !!!!!

Joe should enter Spring as the #1 QB ...... and be given the opportunity to show improvement...

I personally do NOT think that he will WIN the job, but the right thing to do, is to give him a chance....

Hopefully he will do well, and be in the mix....if not, I hope that he will be positive about a position change..... or will transfer to a school that gives him a chance to succeed....

He is a good kid.....He stood firm and took most of the blame for losses last year....NO EXCUSES.....He has great character and leadership skills,.....just may lack the tools for WCO

Personally, I am glad to see that most of the posts support JD.....

Granted, his play at QB really cost NU at times last year.....but that doesn't necessarily make him a horrible player or person !!!!!

Simply means that JD wasn't ready or able to run the WCO....He came here expecting to run the option 1st and throw 2nd.....

Absolutely NO PLAYER ON THIS TEAM put more time and effort into making this thing work..... He poured his soul into learning the system.... and to "run the kid into the ground" like some people have is just plain unfair !!!!!

Joe should enter Spring as the #1 QB ...... and be given the opportunity to show improvement...

I personally do NOT think that he will WIN the job, but the right thing to do, is to give him a chance....

Hopefully he will do well, and be in the mix....if not, I hope that he will be positive about a position change..... or will transfer to a school that gives him a chance to succeed....

He is a good kid.....He stood firm and took most of the blame for losses last year....NO EXCUSES.....He has great character and leadership skills,.....just may lack the tools for WCO

msmiley1.gif

the thing that bothered me most was jd never showed any significant improvement

from the beginning until the end of last year......i can understand a rocky start based on an offense he didn't grow up in, but we should have seen some flashs of brillance along the way, but only witnessed inconsistency. i just don't think the wco is for him, but he does have some talent, maybe for another position as others have suggested.........also solich didn't see too much in his play either, like it or not, that is why he never started ahead of Lord, because i am sure frankie felt the pressure to open up the offense, but just couldn't see it in the other qbs that were available

hunter