NU's mprovement rides on give or take

KansasCity.com

LINCOLN, Neb. | Turnovers are critical in a football game.

File that pearl of wisdom under obvious football observations, right next to playing at home is preferable and controlling the clock is helpful.

But Nebraska will look beyond the obvious this season as Bo Pelini takes over. He’s been the turnover doctor, healing mistake-prone programs.

Few piled up more mistakes than the Cornhuskers last season. They gave it away 28 times and collected a mere 11 turnovers. That’s minus-17, or minus-1.42 turnovers per game as the NCAA measures the statistic, which ranked 117th in the nation.

It defined the 2007 season. Nebraska got pushed around, saw its possessions taken and proved powerless to fight back. The result: a 5-7 overall record and 2-6 Big 12 mark that landed the program in the division basement and got coach Bill Callahan fired.

Pelini, who specializes in defense, will trust his offensive staff to solve the giveaway issue.

The takeaway total figures to improve because Pelini will demand it.

“We’ve always had success in that aspect because we emphasize it,” Pelini said. “You get what you ask for.”

Ask may not be the right word here.

“Oh, we’ll get it,” safety Larry Asante said. “Things are different now.”

I wonder how many of the turnovers came on an errant pass thrown on a 3rd and forever play? I realize the D gets most of the blame for last year, but let's face it; our O definitely put us in some of those positions. Anyone remember the Wake Forest game when a poor throw nearly cost us the game?

I wonder how many of the turnovers came on an errant pass thrown on a 3rd and forever play? I realize the D gets most of the blame for last year, but let's face it; our O definitely put us in some of those positions. Anyone remember the Wake Forest game when a poor throw nearly cost us the game?

For the most part we had a very productive offense last year. Can you imagine where we might have been on total points and yardage if those give aways were cut in half or if the three and outs were reduced. If we can hold on to the ball more effectivly and get more turnovers, this season could be something better than just a rebuilding and improve type year.

I would love to know how many 3rd and short situation, pass plays were called, resulting in incompletions, and a punt.

I just hope we start running on 3rd and short, because that S.O.B. used to call pass plays on 3rd and 2, and would drive me absolutely nucking futs...

Walks, I could not agree with you more...i'd sit there white knuckled, cursing at the tv