Any of yall getting a LITTLE nervous about the '09 class?

Madcat-

I know coaching is a reason why the same teams are always in the top 15-20. But those coaches can't do anything without top flight recruits. Any coach will say that getting top recruits to come in is #1 when it comes to winning. Kansas has arguably one of the best coaches in CFB and they will never be a great program unless they can recruit. Same goes for Texas Tech. They get all the guys Texas, A&M, OU, OSU and LSU don't want. Most of the guys tech gets don't even recieve offers from those schools I mentioned.

Did KU and MU suddenly get those top athletes just prior to last season? I think they had quality players all along, but one’s that needed time to develop them. Sure there are some that can step in and play right away, but I think most need to be made. And the size of this category is quite large.

4 and 5* players are just better players, period. More size, more speed. I think Dr. Tom was a great coach but I even he would tell you the reason NU was so successful for so many years was because he had HUGE OLman and incredible RB's and QB's.

If that were the case, wouldn’t you expect to see a ton of those 4 and 5* athletes on all conference lists, winning awards and going to the NFL? But consider the all big 12 preseason list:

Crabtree = 4

Maclin = 4

Murray = 4

English = 3

Weatherspoon = 2

Pawelek = 2

Wall = 3

Lake = 2

Coffman = 3

Robinson = 4

Loadholt = 3

Cooper = 3

Vasquez = 3

Brown = UR

Dockery = 4

Daniel = 3

Lucky = 5

Wolfert = UR

Campbell = UR

Hypolite = 3

Orakpo = 4

Mortensen = 2

Harris = 4

Moore = 3

Brantly = 2

There are instances like this all over, which indicates there is a lot more than raw athleticism when it comes to being a good player.

I don’t challenge the notion that coaches need good players. Rather I question what we as fans use to measure whether a player is good or not.

A village idiot can coach a team to 10+ wins per year if you have great athletes.

Apparently not because BC couldn’t win here and Zook couldn’t do it at UF, yet BC didn’t have much trouble finding a job in the NFL and Zook is having success at Illinois. Imo, it’s like a three legged stool – one leg is recruiting, one is development (like weight training and conditioning) and one is coaching. A program needs all three to be highly successful.

There are also 10x more 3 stars than 4 or 5 stars.

Of course you are going to have some 3 stars outperform 4/5 stars when you have that large of a difference in numbers.

BC's WCO worked just fine. The defense is what killed NU.

Another reason why I am concerned is the fact that this isn't 5-10 years ago when recruiting lasted all the way til signing day. In Texas nowadays, most of the recruits are snatched up by the time the season even starts. Of the top 25 players in Texas, only 5 are still uncommitted. Of those, maybe 1 or 2 will still be left uncommitted by summers end.

Well then you answered your question didn't you? How can you expect a guy who started in December to pick up athletes who have already been holding offers from other schools for longer than 4 months? Many of the best will have already committed before he even got hired.

At this point Nebraska has the same number of commits as Illinois. I'll start worrying if 2 :star guys become the norm and not the exception in this class.

Sherman started at A&M in December just as Pelini did

Yeah, but you guys are in Texas. That gives him the upperhand right there. You can go piss in your backyard and it'll land on 3 blue chippers . If Nebraska was in Texas, I think it'd be a waaaaay different story.

Saying that, there's no reason to get all doomsdayey with our recruiting. We have 10 guys, we have about 14? more to go. There are a lot of top notch recruits who have us in their top 5 and 3, so I think we'll turn out okay.

Apples to Oranges imo. Sherman is a former NFL head coach. He's got a hook to sell recruits on, especially the offensive ones, about getting them into the NFL. Pelini has no such story, and it's understandable that recruits might be wary until this staff proves something on the field.

Sherman's recruiting might pay off, like with Carroll. On the other hand BC proved it doesn't guarantee success. And program like MU have built themselves up pretty well without getting a ton of highly rated recruits. I think there are many ways to succeed and fail.

I'm just a little disappointed the Pelini hire didn't create a huge buzz in the recruiting at NU like I thought it would.

Like yall have said, there are still a bunch of prospects left on the board and hopefully we can land them! :koolaid2:

recruiting is like a car salesman,,if you don,t have a good saleman,,,you are not going to get a good recruit. true, national rankings everyyear helps...nebraska is having a good year in recruiting ,,,but got to wait to see how the cards play out. if you look around the nation....nu is above average.....but not in the same boat as southern cal, oklahoma,,,, and a few other select teams... i think nu will get some good players before the recruiting season is over..i agree with a thread here, look at missouri...they don,t get a lot of 5 chippers,,,but wow,,they can play football.

With the Bo Pelini era now officially underway, aren't yall surprised at the lack of "blue-chip- committments?

Rivals 4* rankings cut off at 5.8. Anything below that is 3* and below.

Nebraska has only 2 guys out of their 10 committments with a 5.7 ranking or higher.

4* Cody Green 5.8

3* Dontrayevous Robinson 5.7

Don't get me wrong, I like the guys we have. But to compete for championships like the 90's again, we need bluechips.

So what gives?

How many commitments did Nebraska have at this time last year? Maybe about the same number? :dunno

Scout shows 7 of those signing LOI committed by this time last year in the class of 2008. Missing some de-commits like Gabbert. Anyone else? Class of 2007 shows 7 at this point as well with Niles Paul the only 4 :star. Any other de-commits? In 2006, only 4 commits at this point including Ricky Henry who already got counted in 2008. As point of reference, Texas had 21 commits by this point in 2006.

Sherman inherited a team that played in a bowl game last year and beat Texas. For some kids that was the only game that mattered.

Eh, believe it or not, the UT-A&M means very little down here in the recruiting world.

It's whichever team has done the most lately and that has been Texas which is why they outrecruit us almost every year.

UT dominates recruiting now like we did in our glory years of the 80's and 90's.

Sherman inherited a team that played in a bowl game last year and beat Texas. For some kids that was the only game that mattered.

Eh, believe it or not, the UT-A&M means very little down here in the recruiting world.

It's whichever team has done the most lately and that has been Texas which is why they outrecruit us almost every year.

UT dominates recruiting now like we did in our glory years of the 80's and 90's.

Not to mention the fact that the two schools are VASTLY different.

You either grow up a horn or an aggie here in Texas.

I'm pretty sure Sherman hired Pelini at Green Bay if none of you are Green Bay fans like I am. They both started at the Bay in 2000. But as some have alluded to, I'd find it much easier to be a former NFL Head Coach who runs a school's football program in Texas than be someone who worked for him who runs a school's football program in a low-populous state.

As far as commitments and winning, look at Wisconsin. Brand new no-name coach and terrible commitment records, they have only 1 more 4star than us with the same number of recruits. I'm fairly certain they have been beating ass in the Big Ten without their blue-chippers. Hell P.J. Hill was a 2star recruit an had a breakout freshman season. I wouldn't worry too much, Bo knows what he's doing.

I'm pretty sure Sherman hired Pelini at Green Bay if none of you are Green Bay fans like I am. They both started at the Bay in 2000. But as some have alluded to, I'd find it much easier to be a former NFL Head Coach who runs a school's football program in Texas than be someone who worked for him who runs a school's football program in a low-populous state.

As far as commitments and winning, look at Wisconsin. Brand new no-name coach and terrible commitment records, they have only 1 more 4star than us with the same number of recruits. I'm fairly certain they have been beating ass in the Big Ten without their blue-chippers. Hell P.J. Hill was a 2star recruit an had a breakout freshman season. I wouldn't worry too much, Bo knows what he's doing.

The big 11 is terrible that's probably why :laughpound

Don't get me wrong, I like the guys we have. But to compete for championships like the 90's again, we need bluechips.

You've said the word "us" when referring to the Aggies and "we" when referring to the Huskers.

What exactly are you?

I'm thinking in the world of college football, you need to pick an allegiance.

You've said the word "us" when referring to the Aggies and "we" when referring to the Huskers.

What exactly are you?

On that note, I think in the world of "sports'' in general, you need to pick one allegiance.

Cause there is nothing that annoys me more than Husker football/Creighton basketball fan. <_<

What exactly are you?

On that note, I think in the world of "sports'' in general, you need to pick one allegiance.

Cause there is nothing that annoys me more than Husker football/Creighton basketball fan. <_<

In the world of "college sports" at least. I like only Husker sports, yes, but I got my Professional allegiances.