Now that it's August...

Down here in Kansas land one of the radio talking heads actually said "Of all of the Big 12 coaches, Mangino is the best Xs and Os coach. Period. Not Stoops. Not Pinkel. Mangino. No question."

You've got to be f'ing kidding me.

No kidding. Said Stoops had more talent. If they had the same squads Mangino would have a better record than Stoops.

Down here in Kansas land one of the radio talking heads actually said "Of all of the Big 12 coaches, Mangino is the best Xs and Os coach. Period. Not Stoops. Not Pinkel. Mangino. No question."

You've got to be f'ing kidding me.

No kidding. Said Stoops had more talent. If they had the same squads Mangino would have a better record than Stoops.

Sounds about right to me. Stoops and Mangino worked together for several years at KSU And then OU. I would say they're both really good coaches. Not sure who I'd give the nod to. Stoops said in an interview a few years back that Mangino was the best coach he's ever lost from a staff, but understood why Mangino left because Mark wanted his own team.

I see that the South Florida game is at 7 PM on 9/12 (Friday). I'm guessing this will be on TV, and I hope it is so I can see how The Greater, Bigger, Faster, Stronger, Smarter Kansas Jayhawks fare in their first real challenge of the season. It should be interesting. Even more interesting is how Kansas - as a team - will respond if they lose this game. They are on top of the world right now, but it's real easy to plummet to the molten core and get burned...

The same can be said of Nebraska and their first "real" challenge against Virginia Tech, who Kansas eeked out a victory against (I use the term "real" loosely, because Western Michigan should definitely not be taken lightly, and the first few games may be a little iffy as the defense tries to get their ducks aligned). Will the Huskers be able to recover if they lose this game? I think that NU has better leadership this year, and a loss early on will not affect them later on down the road.

While the players are the ones actually in the game, there is a TON to be said on how important leadership is on any team (in sports, in business, etc.). Any team tends to act in a way that is consistent with those people at the top. Whatever those at the top consider a top priority, those underneath will follow suite. This is especially true if those people underneath believe in what those at the top are saying.

While the wins may not come this season, I still feel the Huskers will at least have a 7-5 record. Kansas? They are still unproven. They had one really good season. That's great, but doesn't earn much respect from me...especially after looking at their 2007 schedule. Any team in any given year can have the stars align just right so they have a good season (see Hawaii), but you have to be able to sustain that success in order for it to mean anything. If Kansas is able to duplicate their success this year, they will have my respect. Until then, they are still just Kansas...

Oh my gosh. I'm not even going to respond to this. KU is more unproven than NU? That's crazy talk. Have you lost your mind??? Did Nebraska win a BCS game last year against the #3 team in the country? Geeez...I must of missed that. Plus the fatc that you add a new coach, with a new system, yet you can say with confidence at least 7-5? Interesting to say the least. :dunno

You don't have to respond to that. Just compare NU's and KU's records the last 40 yrs. About the BCS game you got lucky in being picked over Mizzou. Just to put to rest who has done more in the last few years lets lay it out. This is since the start of the Big XII.

Kansas: no North Division Championships, 1 BCS win

Nebraska: 4 North Division Championships, 2 Big XII Championships, 1 National Championship Game appearence

Who is more proven?

Now if you are talking about this year then of course NU has more to prove. But Kansas fans are in no position to start guarenteening wins. Maybe after a few years of beating teams consistantly then yeah.

I guess you're both right then. Nebraska did prove to be a legit 5-7 team last year. Undeserving of a bowl, and of my respect. No question. :) Enjoy the cheap seats in the peanut gallery as KU competes for the North title again.

Rock Chalk!! :koolaid2:

There is obviously nobody on this board who is going to agree with me 100%. I like the good mix of feedback keep it comin'.

I'm not going to agree with most of your predictions. KU, TTech and MU will smoke Nebraska. The more I research it, the more I'm convinced that Nebraska will be in some serious trouble in these games. KU is bigger, stronger, faster, more disciplined and more experienced than Nebraska. They won't, and haven't been intimidated by the lincoln crowd the last several trips. You won't beat Reesing and my Hawks. We hung 76 on you last year and our team is even better. Who is gonna tackle us? Bo?

No way you guys lose to V-Tech and beat KU and TTech. That's just stupid. Tech and KU would beat V-Tech this year hands down. You need to go back and do some research.

Oh, and is Bo planning to strap on shoulder pads and a helmet? I don't care who you are, or what you've done in the past, if you don't have YOUR players in YOUR system them it's going to be difficult to have success. Just look at records past of first year coaches. It's not pretty, especially in the big 12. Be happy if your squad goes 7-5. But no wins vs the top tier of the big 12, at least not this year for the huskers.

yes you did score a lot that game....... but you didnt stop us much either.... i think it is reasonable to say that we will be better on both sides of the ball, and if you dont think playing in lincoln doesnt make a difference then you havent done enough "research"

i think you guys win...but that is going to be a battle. by that time of the year bo's system should be in place. you can throw the "new coach" stuff out the window.

I see that the South Florida game is at 7 PM on 9/12 (Friday). I'm guessing this will be on TV, and I hope it is so I can see how The Greater, Bigger, Faster, Stronger, Smarter Kansas Jayhawks fare in their first real challenge of the season. It should be interesting. Even more interesting is how Kansas - as a team - will respond if they lose this game. They are on top of the world right now, but it's real easy to plummet to the molten core and get burned...

The same can be said of Nebraska and their first "real" challenge against Virginia Tech, who Kansas eeked out a victory against (I use the term "real" loosely, because Western Michigan should definitely not be taken lightly, and the first few games may be a little iffy as the defense tries to get their ducks aligned). Will the Huskers be able to recover if they lose this game? I think that NU has better leadership this year, and a loss early on will not affect them later on down the road.

While the players are the ones actually in the game, there is a TON to be said on how important leadership is on any team (in sports, in business, etc.). Any team tends to act in a way that is consistent with those people at the top. Whatever those at the top consider a top priority, those underneath will follow suite. This is especially true if those people underneath believe in what those at the top are saying.

While the wins may not come this season, I still feel the Huskers will at least have a 7-5 record. Kansas? They are still unproven. They had one really good season. That's great, but doesn't earn much respect from me...especially after looking at their 2007 schedule. Any team in any given year can have the stars align just right so they have a good season (see Hawaii), but you have to be able to sustain that success in order for it to mean anything. If Kansas is able to duplicate their success this year, they will have my respect. Until then, they are still just Kansas...

Oh my gosh. I'm not even going to respond to this. KU is more unproven than NU? That's crazy talk. Have you lost your mind??? Did Nebraska win a BCS game last year against the #3 team in the country? Geeez...I must of missed that. Plus the fatc that you add a new coach, with a new system, yet you can say with confidence at least 7-5? Interesting to say the least. :dunno

You don't have to respond to that. Just compare NU's and KU's records the last 40 yrs. About the BCS game you got lucky in being picked over Mizzou. Just to put to rest who has done more in the last few years lets lay it out. This is since the start of the Big XII.

Nebraska: 4 North Division Championships, 2 Big XII Championships, 1 National Championship Game appearence

Who is more proven?

Now if you are talking about this year then of course NU has more to prove. But Kansas fans are in no position to start guarenteening wins. Maybe after a few years of beating teams consistantly then yeah.

I guess you're both right then. Nebraska did prove to be a legit 5-7 team last year. Undeserving of a bowl, and of my respect. No question. :) Enjoy the cheap seats in the peanut gallery as KU competes for the North title again.

someone forgot that they were 6-6 before last year. or the fact that we were a 9 win team before last year. fortunes can change very quickly.....

and by proven he means that that the previous 5 years before last you had ONE winning season.

here's some food for thought, since according to you, NU has more proven going into this season that KU is, then lets play a game. How would NU of done playing KU's schedule last year???

Here is what we know- You lost to OSU, A&M, and CU, and of course we beat you head to head. I doubt you would of beat Central Michigan who was a bowl team since you barely squeked by Mighty Bowling Green. The Toledo game would of been a toss up, and did you guys beat ISU?

You're post makes no since dude. :moreinteresting

you do know we beat more than one bowl team right?? and did not play bowling green

:bang

It never ceses to amaze me how some people talk the talk. KU had a great run last year, but some would say an easy schedule. NU just plane blew the big one last year. Coaches fault, Lack Of Commitment whatever its done and over. This year is a new year. We are not the same Nebraska that you faced last year, im sorry were not. No one is drinking koolaid its just the way it is. No game is definate but our huskers are going to give it 110 percent and you can take that to the bank. Bring your game face to lincoln kids cuz its gonna be a school yard brawl. Nebraskas seeking revenge, Kansas is seeking to break the loseing streak. Its anyones game i guess well see you in lincoln.

Who is more proven?

Are you completely blind to what is going on in Lincoln these days? Last year was a disaster. Our guys are looking for redemption. In 06' we played for the Big XII championship, something Kansas has yet to do. Everybody has a year like we had in 07' eventually. The same thing could be said for KU in 07' with everything aligning just right for them to have a good year. This will be a good game. I just don't know why you expect us to just accept KU as a great team when they have had one good year since the turn of the century.

Who is more proven?

Are you completely blind to what is going on in Lincoln these days? Last year was a disaster. Our guys are looking for redemption. In 06' we played for the Big XII championship, something Kansas has yet to do. Everybody has a year like we had in 07' eventually. The same thing could be said for KU in 07' with everything aligning just right for them to have a good year. This will be a good game. I just don't know why you expect us to just accept KU as a great team when they have had one good year since the turn of the century.

OK, then I won't expect you to accept KU as a 'great team". I guess the average Jayhawks beat you 76-39 last year, and two of the last 3 seasons. And in 06 the reason you played for the Big 12 title was because the North was crap that year. Don't be pounding your chest over that. It wasn't anything to be proud of dude. You still got whipped.

Who is more proven?

OK, then I won't expect you to accept KU as a 'great team". I guess the average Jayhawks beat you 76-39 last year, and two of the last 3 seasons. And in 06 the reason you played for the Big 12 title was because the North was crap that year. Don't be pounding your chest over that. It wasn't anything to be proud of dude. You still got whipped.

Whipped? I must have been watching the wrong game then cause OU by no means whipped us. Any you want us to stop thumping our chest about actually winning the conference when you're pouring on last years win?

"OK, then I won't expect you to accept KU as a 'great team". I guess the average Jayhawks beat you 76-39 last year, and two of the last 3 seasons."

Exactly! And thats what this team will be focusing on. If we stop giving away games to AVERAGE teams with equal or lesser talent; we will be right back in the fight.

Who is more proven?

you are right... our big 12 north title is nothing compared to yours...... by the way where is that?

you are embarrassing yourself in this thread. I would give it a rest. you had a great year last year and you'll be good again this year(better than us). but you guys are certainly beatable...esp in Lincoln